• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Magnavox TV picture went out

smgreen20

I'm pretty sure it's done for, but in the chance that there's something I might be able to do...

I have a 42" Magnavox 720p TV. Turned the TV and satellite on this morning and as soon as the picture came on, it went off. TV is now making a weird "chirping" noise. I've tried all inputs as well as cycling the power a few times and unplugged all video/HDMI cables. Makes no difference.

So, by the sound it's making, does that sound familiar to anyone?

Some birds nesting in there? :laughing:

Sorry, no, I don't have anything actually constructive to add. Carry on...

I'm hoping it's a cap that went bad that I can replace. It sounds just like a camera does when it charges for the flash, but constantly repeating.

When I had DirecTV, I would hear those "chirps" when I'd lose signal, such as during a storm. Have you checked other TVs in your home to verify that it's not your satellite service causing this?

Didn't have to, i could hear married with children and the tv wouldn't switch inputs. It's got to be in the power supply. That's what mostly goes out right?

Traced the sound down to the power board. Found 3 swollen capacitors. Can't get the replacements until Monday. I'm hoping this was the problem.

After some research, I found the problems with the power supply. 3 blown caps, 2 dead resistors one other thing I can't remember off hand. Sourcing the part for the 3rd thing I can't remember was the hard part for another individual 4 years ago. Just think how hard it's going to be now.

Well, the wife gave me the ok to get a new TV, but with a limit of $600. After some searching, I finally found the exact TV I was looking for. The LG47ML4600? I think. 47" 1080p that has 3D for the occasional movie and gaming. I found it for...... $599.00 and comes w/a sound bar too. So I'll be getting it after work saturday.

I've got a 47" LG, really like it. Mine has LED backlighting with local dimming, but is not 3D (its also 3 years old now). One thing I really like about it is the matte screen; that hurts black levels a bit but really cuts down on room reflections, which is an issue in my space.
Congrats, and you suck! :handgestures-thumbup:

Love the TV. It'sthe 47ML4700 as apposed to the 4600. The 3D in Video gaming is bad assume, esp Gran Turismo. Only issue, it wont stay on the expert1 setting I have saved.

Back