• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Making Original Unoriginal

Batman

Staff member
Famous
Okay so I'm working and dialing up some tunes on Pandora. As I often use Pandora while I'm working, naturally I here some of the same tunes more than once. But I've noticed a trend that artists are less and less original. Example, there are now 2-3 current versions of the 20-25 year old (if not older) song by Tears For Fears called "Mad World" that I'm sure were inspired by Adam Lambert's interpretation of the song when he performed it on AI...I don't love the show but admittedly I watch frequently with my wife since it gives us something to do on week nights. And occasionally one of these kids comes up with a take on a song that is completely and totally inspired and well conceived. But does that have to mean that a bunch of other artists have to jump on the bandwagon and take something that was a brilliant idea and make me want to smash my phone to pieces everytime I hear it??

$$$ makes the world go 'round.

Two hundred years ago we didn't have recordings, so great composers were replayed by musicians in concert halls, drawing rooms, conservatories, and courts. People would flock out to see the musicians who provided the most famous interpretations and the average interpretations were often met with noisy audiences who just wanted something to do for the evening.

We are spoilt today where we can hear what could be the most perfect interpretation of any piece of music anytime we want. As such, we are more judgemental of wannabes who don't do it as well.

This isn't a new phenomenon. You're only noticing it now because you're finally old enough to be familiar with the "original" pieces.

You know what, I stand corrected, the research shows that the versions that are getting a lot of play, were actually recorded before Adam Lambert's interpretation on AI. I still have no doubt his performance on primetime TV breathed new life into these versions and I have definitely noticed that Pandora is beating me over the head with this song and the impact was getting diluted... :angry-banghead:

That's why I absolutely HATE radio and internet radio. When something is remotely popular they always try to cash in on that popularity. It really pisses me off.

I prefer my 2,000+ CD collection put on random.

Don't get a hankering for the blues then, especially if it's of the old school variety. I bet there's more versions of "Stormy Monday Blues" than there are 'big legged women that ain't got no soul'.

Yesfan70 said:
Don't get a hankering for the blues then, especially if it's of the old school variety. I bet there's more versions of "Stormy Monday Blues" than there are 'big legged women that ain't got no soul'.

Good one Yesfan!! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Back