• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Many new toys coming...

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
T7's right, I do have a disease.

After selling the Meier, I decided there was just one more particular ss amp I wanted to try, so I bought a Yulong A18 that had been going down in price on head-fi for a while - about half the price of a new one. Many folks on head-fi say the A18 has a "tube-like" presentation; we'll see. I'm just curious if I can find an ss amp that sounds as good to me as the WA6 without spending thousands.

I've also been wanting to explore DACs a bit. Previously, I had communicated with another fellow about a possible Yulong A18/D18 pair (the D18 is a DAC), but he had already sold them. He also had Beyer T1 for sale, a headphone I've been wanting to try for a long time. So he came back the day after I bought the A18 with an offer to sell me a Yulong DA8 (basically an upgraded DAC compared to the D18, with its own amp which is supposedly good but not as good as the A18 - but it can be used in DAC-only mode) and the T1. For about $500 less for the two than they would be new, and they're only a few months old. I couldn't pass it up.

So lots of new toys to play with in a bit.

Walls, maybe we can do some DAC comparisons with your uber Bifrost?

New toys - regardless what they are - are always cool!

Have fun, you sick bastard. :music-listening:

I think you will like the T1's, I like mine a lot.

I don't think your going to find a SS amp that you like more then the WOO. I think, like me, you are more partial to the sound of a tube amp so the sterile presentation of a SS amp will not be great to your ears.

I would love to swap DACS to compare them!! Let me know when your ready and I will send the Bifrost your way so you can compare them side by side.

A18 was supposed to be here yesterday according to USPS tracking, but it didn't show... :x Oh well hopefully today. The DA8 and T1 should be shipping today, to get here next week sometime.

Spent some time this morning with my current system, updating my audition track list - which changes constantly, but a lot of it is the same as what I used when I got the WA6. Got a lot of new gear to evaluate, so I want to establish a reasonable baseline.

Still loving the WA6 though... gonna be hard to beat. Been a long time since I've evaluated different headphones, though, so I'm very much looking forward to hearing the T1. And seeing how it performs with my amps, as the T1 @ 600ohm impedance is a very different design from my D5000 @ 25ohm.

A18 arrived just now, in good shape. (Ironically it was packed in a DA8 box... :laughing: )

I'll definitely review it more later but first impressions: very nice. A step up from the Meier, for sure, IMHO. Competitor with the WA6? Well... not sure yet, but it's not obviously worse, anyway, which (to me) is saying a lot. I'm not going to draw any final conclusions for a while, especially since I've been listening to music all day and my ears are kinda tired already.

DA8 + T1 will be here next Wed. according to fedex.

Wait till you hear the T1 with the WA6, those two are going to pair up really well and be VERY hard to beat.

Now that you officially went over the deep end and got a pair of high impedance cans you must hear my WA2 and the Crack!!

I see a lot of shipping boxes in my future, lol.

Woo-hoo! T1 and DA8 are coming today, assuming the tracking is accurate ("out for delivery"). This is the first time that I recall that Fedex has ever delivered EARLIER than their initial estimate (which was tomorrow).

The family...

gDSCF5153-XL.jpg

Back