• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Mark Knopfler

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Here's another one I got a while ago (couple months I guess) and finally got around to watching the DVD today:

Wasn't quite sure what to expect when I ordered it, but I really like it! Great music, great performers. I like the intimate camera work in the video, you can really see everyone, what they're doing and how they look at and cue each other, even the gear. SQ is good, there's a lot of people in the band but they do a good job of making each instrument hearable in the mix.

Anyway, I enjoyed this one very much.

I know there are a number of Knopfler fans here, and I'm now convinced that I need to start exploring his music a bit more seriously. All I have are a couple of Dire Straits albums (Brothers in Arms, Live at the BBC). So what other albums of his should I get? Interested in any and all opinions!

Telegraph Road is one of my top-5 albums of all time, still with Dire Straits. He has definitely mellowed with age, his solo work is a lot more acoustic and folk-oriented, but it's all good.
I've added "Roadrunning" to my list, don't have that one yet.

Botch, do you mean the album Love Over Gold - on which Telegraph Road is one song?

b709225b9da050ccd7bc7110.L.jpg

Noff can do no wrong.

Rope

PaulyT said:
Botch, do you mean the album Love Over Gold - on which Telegraph Road is one song?
d'Oh! :oops: Yes, that's what I meant.

Not only Princess Bride but also a pretty average movie called Wag the Dog. Great instrumental called "Working on It". I also have the soundtrack to a couple of other movies he has done - Local Hero and A Shot at Glory. Both good.

Indeed, MK can do no wrong. I like everything he has done - amazing guitarist with a distinct style and sound.

On Roadrunning Live I LOVE the duets on the Dire Straits songs, "So Far Away" and "Why Worry". Just flat out awesome. Why Worry, the original version, is one of my top songs of all time - the guitar part near the end is beautiful.

Also, did you know that Knopfler wrote "Private Dancer" and it didn't make it on the album? Tina Turner did alright with it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G03Iw8qdBCk[/youtube]

Yeah, agreed, he and Emmylou had a very nice vocal mesh. There was one song, forget which one, where I even thought, during the first verse, "wow this would be cool if she came on and sang the next verse" - and voila, my wish was granted.

Anyone own this album? If not, it needs to be in your collection if you're a Knopfler fan.

41QKKY6VBWL._SS500_.jpg

Yup, as I said in the OP ;) that's one of the two DS albums I've got, based on rec's in other threads - maybe back at S&V? Maybe by you, even. Don't remember. Yeah, it's good! Gonna listen to that one again today.

PaulyT said:
Yup, as I said in the OP ;) that's one of the two DS albums I've got, based on rec's in other threads - maybe back at S&V? Maybe by you, even. Don't remember. Yeah, it's good! Gonna listen to that one again today.

Whoops! My bad. Didn't see that the first time. :oops:

Yesfan70 said:
Anyone own this album? If not, it needs to be in your collection if you're a Knopfler fan.

41QKKY6VBWL._SS500_.jpg
I do, think I got it on a recommendation over at S&V, maybe even from you, can't remember. It's cool to hear them play "Sultans of Swing" before a live audience, with no reaction when they announced it as it hadn't hit the radio yet.

Listening to this now, so far so good! I'm only on the second track, but I like the sound very much - almost country, almost folk.

21B10CWT2KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rope said:
b709225b9da050ccd7bc7110.L.jpg

Noff can do no wrong.

Rope
I hadn't listened to this in quite awhile, made a mental note to dig it out soon. This morning I opened it up and, there's two discs, another 5.1 DVD-A I didn't know I had!! :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: Drinking it in right now, Ah! I also noticed the other disk is "HDCD", whatever that is...

goaliechris said:
Not only Princess Bride but also a pretty average movie called Wag the Dog. Great instrumental called "Working on It". I also have the soundtrack to a couple of other movies he has done - Local Hero and A Shot at Glory. Both good.

Indeed, MK can do no wrong. I like everything he has done - amazing guitarist with a distinct style and sound.

On Roadrunning Live I LOVE the duets on the Dire Straits songs, "So Far Away" and "Why Worry". Just flat out awesome. Why Worry, the original version, is one of my top songs of all time - the guitar part near the end is beautiful.

Also, did you know that Knopfler wrote "Private Dancer" and it didn't make it on the album? Tina Turner did alright with it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G03Iw8qdBCk[/youtube]

I have to agree with you Chris, "Why Worry" is also one of my all time Favorites! Nice Choice! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

I also HIGHLY recommend this one.........
(this was actually the last music I listened too before bed last night. I just got lost in it and found myself drifting off into the music. Great Stuff!)

51NCJYW1Y6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm not very good at describing music, so here's this.......

Amazon.com
Eschewing much of the stardust that the worldwide success of Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms virtually guaranteed him, Mark Knopfler's belated and halting solo career since has often seemed willfully spectral, if ever driven by a quietly intense musical restlessness. Taking "Rudiger" from his '96 solo debut and seven core tracks from his savory, thematically eclectic '04 collection, Shangri-La, Knopfler returned to the Malibu studio of the same name to forge these more focused, nigh-perfect live renditions with his bandmates. The intimate setting offers added poignancy to "The Trawlerman's Song" and casts "Back to Tupelo" in bluesier, more supple tones, while "Song For Sonny Liston" bristles with grittier energy. Fans of Knopfler's fluid, expressive guitar technique will find much to admire as well, from the sprightly, country-fied chicken-pickin' of "Donegan's Gone" to the tasteful, economic soloing on "Boom, Like That" and "Everybody Pays." But, as on the album that inspired this EP, the real star here is Knopfler the songwriter--an artist whose choice in themes and subtle wordplay has become the equal of his compelling fretwork. --Jerry McCulley
Product Description
Tracks from acclaimed singer/songwriter/guitarist Mark Knopfler's most rocking album since his halcyon days in Dire Straits are rock solid on the EP Live From Shangri-La. The EP features eight songs recorded live at Shangri-La Studios in Malibu, CA, by the mulitple Grammy winner who has sold more than 110 million albums worldwide. Knopfler's signature guitar sound, instantly recognizable vocals and smart lyrics have made him one of rock's most admired artists.

I just saw this thread!!! :angry-banghead:

Knopfler is my favorite. I have a few of his CDs and want more. I like all the ones I have, with All the Road Running being my favorite. I searched a copy of the Princess Bride soundtrack just because I loved the music in it so much (I realized it was him while re-watching the movie a couple of years back).

Ragpicker's Dream is very good and his latest (the title escapes me at the moment) is also good.

John

Yeah John, I think all of his music is good and worth a listen.

I think "Get Lucky" is his latest.....
61AQwsQaKYL._AA115_.jpg

I also recommend "Neck and Neck" if you like finger pickin' (and Chet Atkins).....

61XBXANT58L._AA115_.jpg

Good stuff!

Dennie

TitaniumTroy said:
Pauly, try track #4 (Fade to Black) from the On Every Street album. I like to use this song when I am demoing speakers, let me know what you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Street-Dire ... B00004Y6NV

Sorry for the delay there TT, but thanks for this! I have to agree with you here - this is a very good critical listening track. Separation of very different tone+reverb/resonance of the two guitars, good clean bass line, forward vocals, and very recessed little splashes of organ here and there. Most interesting is the subtle drum work, the precise (on a good system) little cymbal ticks between the 2nd and 3rd verses, and again later on; and the best is the (double, clear stereo) brush work at the very end of the song, right before it fades out to the final drum flourish.

I've listened to this song many times now on two different speaker systems and two headphone rigs, and it does indeed bring out some differences between all these.

Back