• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Master and Commander

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
As usual, I'm way behind - about 7 years or so in this case. :eek:

Just finished watching Master and Commander. Yeah, pretty good sound (on BD). And an interesting movie. Not the greatest movie ever, but a good glimpse into the past, I suppose, assuming it's at all realistic. All I could think was "damn they had it rough back then"... And what was the Lord Nelson stuff all about? I kept thinking the captain would say something like "he's a decent leader but in private he's a pedophile and sodomite" or something along those lines, guess I'm too jaded by modern "real" movies.

Still kind of on the fence as far as Russell Crowe. Not bad. Wife says - "better than Tom Cruise, but that's not saying much." He was ok here, but didn't seem like much of a challenging role. I thought some of the minor characters were more interesting.

You know tha M&C is one of a series of books right? Rope is right. I wasnt as impressed with the bluray as i was when i heard the original DVD. I think my expectations were too high. FWIW, I think Russell Crowe is a great actor. He's got a ton of range and has played some very convincing roles (other than Gladiator).

Yeah, I've heard you guys comment on the DVD vs BD soundtracks... Well if I cared that much I'd pursue it. ;) I thought the BD had some pretty decent thumps in the low sub range early in the movie (the initial attack of the French ship). After that, I was paying more attention to the movie than the sound, though I did appreciate the quality of the surround effects even in the non-action scenes.

those 'thumps' you hear on the blu-ray version, is basically just that. thumps.

but the dvd, for around 8 bucks, is way much better than the blu-ray.

i. guarantee. it.

i also just found out recently that this is a book, and from a series of books written by er...

im not a book person.

side question tho, is this loosely based on ONE book, or a culmination f them?

this movie definitely will grow on you, and by far, my favorite to boot. one reference disc to rule them all. :)

jomari said:

Master and Commander is the first of twenty books in a series by Patrick O'Brian. The movie took material from several of the books in the first half of the series.

I would have loved to see that series of books turn into at least another movie or two. I thought M&C was beautifully executed, from all aspects...I prefer the BD, just from personal preference, I'll sacrifice some audio for the best possible PQ, but that's just me. I think the BD remains pretty damn impressive at demo listening levels anyway, and I certainly don't feel like I am missing out on anything vs the DVD.

Batman said:
I would have loved to see that series of books turn into at least another movie or two. I thought M&C was beautifully executed, from all aspects...I prefer the BD, just from personal preference, I'll sacrifice some audio for the best possible PQ, but that's just me. I think the BD remains pretty damn impressive at demo listening levels anyway, and I certainly don't feel like I am missing out on anything vs the DVD.
Next time you're here, we'll compare the two versions. I kept my DVD copy.

Batman said:
I would have loved to see that series of books turn into at least another movie or two.

In 2005 the director (Peter Weir) was asked if he would do a sequel. He said "No, it's, I think, most unlikely. Somebody said to me the other day that they'd seen something on the Net. The way the Net is now, it's like a kind of rumor mill. But I think they would have contacted me. I think that while it did well ... ish at the box office, it didn't generate that kind of monstrous, rapid income that provokes a sequel."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... eterweir30

Earlier this month it was reported that Russell Crowe tweeted something about fans contacting Fox to let them know their desire for a sequel.

Zing said:
Batman said:
Next time you're here, we'll compare the two versions. I kept my DVD copy.
I think I still have the DVD version also. So do I wait for you to visit me, or me to visit you? :happy-smileygiantred:

Towen7 said:
jomari said:

Master and Commander is the first of twenty books in a series by Patrick O'Brian. The movie took material from several of the books in the first half of the series.

thanks for the heads up towen, i guess i was sparingly looking particularly for the Master and commander book itself, disappointed by not finding it. we found this amazing bookstore called Half Price books or something like that, that sold 'used' books. by my collection, they looked pretty prestine for a used book. i will continue looking for the book Master and commander tho.

anyways, i ended up buying cookbooks instead at an average of 8 bucks a piece. :D

i kept my dvd version, and it has more playability compared to my bd version. i doubt they'd reissue this due to the clamor of the forums, but im happy nonetheless. it takes too much of a skill to try to sync both get the full experience.

Batman said:
I think I still have the DVD version also. So do I wait for you to visit me, or me to visit you?
I seem to remember the last time this topic was discussed, you mentioned that you were sorry that you got rid of your DVD copy. My bad. I must be confusing you with another superhero.
:text-imsorry:

You may be right I didn't see it among my remaining DVDs before I left the house this morning...I may have donated it to someone else cause. But I can't remember...oops.

I have the DVD copy, comparo on. I really like the movie in all aspects. Regarding sound the first cannon shot scene is reference material for me, not only for the boom, bit for the surround effects. When I had my theater running 7.1 the scenes below deck sounded like you were below deck with footsteps above you.

Russel Crowe is a great actor. Tom Cruise always plays Tom Cruise being somebody else. Crowe actually takes a part and creates a convincing character. A Beautiful Mind, showed his chops there. Also I liked him in American Gangster and L.A. Confidential.

I'll give you Crowes acting chops no doubt, but I find it amazing how an actor who always plays such noble characters, can be such a tool in real life...that doesn't take away anything from the movies he is in for me but it's a bit disappointing nonetheless.

Is he a tool? I don't pay attention to stuff like that unless it blows up like the Christian Bale thing on the set of Terminator 19. I've only seen Crowe him in a handful of interviews and he seemed okay, but then again he IS an actor.

Crow is a tool, and that ruins almost every movie he does for me.

I have M&C on DVD and it does indeed have great sound but really the movie itself is just "eh" for me.

I loved M&C but also liked him in "State of Play" were he did a good job as a reporter. I never let an actors personal life effect my seeing them in a movie, because the way I look at it, every second of every day they are under constant scrutiny and that would cause me to go nuts from time to time in real life.

Something about him just makes me INSANE. After seeing him years ago on the Oscar awards acting like he was a friggin God and then all the other stuff he pulls on top of it....I dislike him enough that it can ruin a movie.

I am not alone, my wife cant stand Jason Alexander bacause of her dislike of George Costanza!

Back