• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

MBL: Video makes fun of audiophiles

mzpro5 said:

I'd love to give those a listen. Some of my most impressive listening experiences have been with "omni" speakers, but have never heard any that extreme.

And at that price they're a steal - given that they list for 170,000EUR!

Jeff

ps. On the basis of pounds/dollar they compare pretty nicely to a Porsche.

Ah, but Porsches aren't omnidirectional unless driven in North Dakota in January. :teasing-neener:

JeffMackwood said:
Some of my most impressive listening experiences have been with "omni" speakers,
Not horn loaded compression driver? :(
Wait till soundhound sees this.

If I were filthy stinkin rich, I would probably have some stuff like that just cuz it is sexy. Even if it isn't worth the price delta.

DIYer said:
JeffMackwood said:
Some of my most impressive listening experiences have been with "omni" speakers,
Not horn loaded compression driver? :(
Wait till soundhound sees this.

And some of my most impressive listening experiences have been with horn-loaded compression drivers. :)

I recall, many years ago, hearing a big pair of ohm speakers that used Walsh drivers. They were set up in a good sized room and how they sounded was unlike anything I had heard up until then in terms of extremely spacious all-enveloping sound.

The key word here is "impressive." I'm not saying "best" or "most realistic." Just darn impressive.

Of course any time I want to be really impressed I need only wander down to my own HT. :)

JeffMackwood said:
I recall, many years ago, hearing a big pair of ohm speakers that used Walsh drivers.
Jeff, were Ohm speakers the ones with straight-upward-facing tweets & midrange, with downward-firing woofers?
One of my favorite local bands in Dayton OH used similar speakers for their PA, the guitarist designed and built them, and they used them for monitors too (with, I'm assuming, very directional vocal mics). Sounded great, looked like cake to set up, and I believe I still have the plans somewhere in a box.

Botch said:
JeffMackwood said:
I recall, many years ago, hearing a big pair of ohm speakers that used Walsh drivers.
Jeff, were Ohm speakers the ones with straight-upward-facing tweets & midrange, with downward-firing woofers?
One of my favorite local bands in Dayton OH used similar speakers for their PA, the guitarist designed and built them, and they used them for monitors too (with, I'm assuming, very directional vocal mics). Sounded great, looked like cake to set up, and I believe I still have the plans somewhere in a box.

You're straining my memory but no I seem to recall the Walsh driver in this one was full-range. Imagine one of those great big "megaphones' (like you'd see at a college football game circa 1920s) that had a mouth-sized end at one end and a great big opening at the other. Now stand it on end facing down into a tall rectabgular-shaped cabinet and that's what I recall. I don't remember separate drivers; just that one big omni cone on top of a cabinet, and a 4-sided grille that fit over the cone.

ohmfs.jpg

user_978_large_6085d0d958d7a07fa3acd2ab844e4e1b.jpg

Rope said:

I have heard those Beo's as well: in a B&O store in downtown Hamburg Germany, 4 or 5 years ago. Unfortunately the set-up was not the greatest - more like a small IKEA store than a place to have a serious listen.

http://beostores.bang-olufsen.de/hamburg-hanseviertel/welcome?lang=de

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think those are truly omnidirectional like the ohm Walsh was. They had that characteristic B&O sound (light, open, even "metallic" - but in this case very good extended bass as well) but I thought they had a broad sound dispersal pattern, rather than an omni one.

Anyone else heard them?

I heard the B&O speakers in the Soho section of Manhattan NYC, back in May. They were set up in a typical kind of home theatre setting. Maybe the acoustics were bad it was dark, however I thought they seemed ok. Anyway I was not impressed at all, they did nothing for me. The lack of dynamics was the main thing I remember.

Style wise they remind me of the Dalek's from Dr. Who.

Back in the 80's I heard a pair of DBX Soundfield's which were their version of an omnidirectional speaker. They had an interesting soundstage you could move around the room and it did not change. However it seemed somewhat diffuse, no pinpoint imaging with them.

Listening to this now...

7e17225b9da0a7584b76e010.L.jpg

No baton cracks at the end, though, at least not that I can hear on my crappy low-end less-than-$100k headphone system. :teasing-tease:

Back