- Anyone who says "storage is cheap" has never tried storing a large media library.
- There is no such thing as "enough" storage.
- RAID is NOT a backup strategy.
- Ripping movies is a time-consuming pain in the ass that requires a surprising amount of know-how.
- Maintaining a media server, managing storage and curating content is a lot of work.
- Custom media clients like OpenPHT are like Italian sports cars: gorgeous, but high maintenance.
- If you like keeping your media in the highest quality format, but also want to make it available on a wide range of devices, buy a beefy server to handle the transcoding (Passmark 2000 per stream).
- This is a bad hobby for people who don't like to tinker.