• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Might wanna unplug your HT this evening....

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
:scared-eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12493980

I have tomorrow off, may just head out to west Utard and see if I can photograph any possible Auroras....

photo.gif

This afternoon, I was noticing that my Sirius sat radio was cutting out for a second here and there for no good reason. (No trees/bridges/etc.) Wonder if these flares were the cause?

One of the absolute coolest things about living in Alaska was the regular appearances of the Aurora Borealis.

Especially sitting out on the flightline during standbys.

Randy said:
One of the absolute coolest things about living in Alaska was the regular appearances of the Aurora Borealis.

The same can be said for my time in Minot, ND. Clearly the silver lining in an otherwise very dark cloud.

Zing said:
Randy said:

The same can be said for my time in Minot, ND. Clearly the silver lining in an otherwise very dark cloud.
Heh, I was stationed at Grand Forks, and saw the same thing; dark cloud indeed... my Aurora photo that I posted in the photograph thread was taken at Grand Forks.

Officer-in-Charge, Technical Engineering Flight, 321st Missile Wing.

I stayed in Engineering too long and was passed over for Major in '95, I started missing it so much I entered the Reserves - as a Sergeant. :| I've now got my retirement, and since you retire at the highest rank held, it was worth doing (and it's a blast leaving my cubicle and getting my hands dirty one weekend a month).

Were you in Missiles too, Zing?

Support teams for Minuteman in Minot then full-fledged MMT for the Peacekeeper in Cheyenne.

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

Botch said:
I was stationed at Grand Forks, and saw the same thing; dark cloud indeed... my Aurora photo that I posted in the photograph thread was taken at Grand Forks.

Dark cloud? You just mean the town sucked, right? Or is that some kind of military slang?

I have a relative who lives near Grand Forks. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere; though, I didn't think the town itself was too bad. Anyway... He says he got a really impressive look of the aurora borealis on some rural highway last year when activity was unusually high. I've never seen it, but would like to someday.

Kazaam said:
Botch said:
I was stationed at Grand Forks, and saw the same thing; dark cloud indeed... my Aurora photo that I posted in the photograph thread was taken at Grand Forks.

Dark cloud? You just mean the town sucked, right? Or is that some kind of military slang?

I have a relative who lives near Grand Forks. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere; though, I didn't think the town itself was too bad. Anyway... He says he got a really impressive look of the aurora borealis on some rural highway last year when activity was unusually high. I've never seen it, but would like to someday.
Grand Forks, the city, is wonderful. There's a saying throughout the Air Force that Grand Forks is the only place where you're more likely to lock your car on base, rather than off-base! There was a small restaurant, name forgotten, that featured "Mediterranean" food, and it became my hangout and the cooler officers, and a lot of college faculty, hung out there. I believe it was destroyed in the flood/fire of '96.
What sucked about Grand Forks was, the winters were so bitterly cold (try ten weeks straight where the temp never gets above -20F!) but then, when it finally warmed up, you couldn't go outside at all because of the mosquitoes!! That's the thing that I hated more than anything.
My last six months in the area, after I knew my AF career was over, I used up a lot of Leave exploring northern Minnesota, and I fell in love with the area, and shot a lot of film and wore out a lot of hiking boots; made a bad time of my life much better.

Botch said:
I believe it was destroyed in the flood/fire of '96.

When I was there I walked along the Minnesota side of the river. In one spot it was kind of cool (yet eerie) because, as part of the flood mitigation, a bunch of houses were moved and now it's a campground; but you can still see the old sidewalk, plus occasionally parts of driveways and walkways that led to mailboxes. The main road along the river is now grass.

There are some new businesses that built up in that area, but the only restaurant I can recall was an Applebee's.

Kazaam said:
Botch said:
I believe it was destroyed in the flood/fire of '96.

When I was there I walked along the Minnesota side of the river. In one spot it was kind of cool (yet eerie) because, as part of the flood mitigation, a bunch of houses were moved and now it's a campground; but you can still see the old sidewalk, plus occasionally parts of driveways and walkways that led to mailboxes. The main road along the river is now grass.

There are some new businesses that built up in that area, but the only restaurant I can recall was an Applebee's.
It's a 6-hour drive from my Mom's, but I want to see the city one more time.

Orbison said:
Botch said:
Officer-in-Charge, Technical Engineering Flight, 321st Missile Wing.

Thanks for your service Botch. :handgestures-thumbup:

You know, I'd thank him and Zing and all the other good men and women, too; but I've just been so busy enjoying all this freedom!

:text-bravo:

Indeed, a big thanks to all who served and continue to serve.

410DD3X7K5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back