• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

MOGA Ace Power

Akula

Famous
I picked up a new toy today for my iPhone 5S- the MOGA Ace Power game controller.

http://www.mogaanywhere.com/ace/

It uses the new game controller support in iOS7. Apple has two specs for MFi (Made For iOS) controllers- the standard controller and the extended controller. The Logitech Powershell is a good example of the standard design- only one D-pad (no analog sticks) and only two shoulder buttons. It's a more svelte package compared to the MOGA Ace Power, which has four shoulder buttons and analog sticks in addition to the d-pad. The Logitech would be similar to the SNES controller, the MOGA is closer to the Xbox controller.

You stick the iPhone into the device, giving you what feels like a wider Xbox 360 controller. Complaints online are that this thing feels cheap- well, it kinda does, but when a phone is locked in it does feel more solid. Game compatibility depends on the individual game having that capability built in. All buttons are analog, so while there's some range of control available (useful for things like driving games), the X/Y/A/B buttons aren't always as responsive as you'd like. Connection is via the lightning dock (so no, it won't work with pre-iPhone 5 models or non-lightning iPod Touches). Different pads are included if you use a device that isn't the iPhone 5/5S (for which pads are preinstalled). There is a rechargeable battery in the MOGA (Logitech also has one) that you can use to charge up the phone while playing... it will give you more time. You theoretically can charge the MOGA while playing in order to keep the phone charged, but I haven't tried that much yet. The MOGA uses a standard microUSB charging cable, so that's one other fool thing to keep on hand.

I was testing it with GTA: San Andreas, and it all works pretty well. You can also use touch controls on the screen when it's plugged into the controller. Gameplay, with the exception of needing to push the X/Y/A/B buttons firmly, was easy and intuitive. I will say it could indeed feel more solid for the $99 price tag, but it isn't awful. I expect many existing games to be updated for MFi controller support and newer games to include it, so the currently limited library of games will only get larger.

My verdict- if you want to use that nifty expensive iPhone as a gaming device, you need one of these. Just make sure the games you want to play support the MFi controller. You won't get all day gameplay away from a power source with it, but it's a good way to get more use out of that pricey minicomputer you have.

Back