• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Monolith vs ATI

jamhead

I would love some insight from Makeminevinyl (Soundhound) here as it is known that he knows a little about this stuff and I couldn't PM him. As I noted in an earlier post, my receiver gave out (was powering my Dynaudio surrounds/center - which are ~86db sensitivity with max wattage listed as 170 into 4 ohms). I am considering picking up a refurbished Denon receiver to use as a pre/pro and just extending to full outboard amplification. I currently have an ATI 1802, about 14 years old, driving my main speakers and really love the amp. Quiet. No problems. Power to get loud. Anywho - looking at perhaps a 3 channel amp - to drive my mains/center and then the older 1802 to surround duty. I know this is overkill.

Looking at different amps, I want to buy an ATI. Their 3 channel class A/B is going for $2100, which is quite a bit higher than just a couple years ago. This is giving me pause. I know ATI assembles Monolith amps using similar/same design as their own 1820 series. The Monolith doesn't look as nice, has cheaper speaker connections, but is $800 cheaper. My question would be: what corners were cut in order to get the price down $800 from the ATI version? Would there be a performance difference (doubtful)? Longevity difference?

For ATI - I HAVE to go through a Dealer (Audio Advice). Only one in town and I'm not a fan of, personally.

I know details can't be shared for obvious reasons, but curious if the price difference is indicative of something that would concern me as a person who buys and holds until the unit dies.

Thank you for any info/comments/suggestions.

There actually wasn't all that much changed between the 1800 ATI and the Monolith. They're basically the same amp with a different package. One thing you should be aware of is that ATI is going through some changes and I can't say how this would affect their products and future servicing, but honestly, you might look at another brand.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. Very disappointing since there aren’t many options in this price category. I’ve considered 3 outlaw 2220 monoblocks - but know nothing about class G topology. If I were to try to read between the lines, I’d assume potential Management change - or - component sourcing change? Understand there’s info that can’t be shared - but apparently I’m at Monolith or Outlaw. Not a fan of Emotiva and the Parasound is more than I care to spend from a value proposition.

The choices were far greater a decade ago…..

Thank you for the reply. Very disappointing since there aren’t many options in this price category. I’ve considered 3 outlaw 2220 monoblocks - but know nothing about class G topology. If I were to try to read between the lines, I’d assume potential Management change - or - component sourcing change? Understand there’s info that can’t be shared - but apparently I’m at Monolith or Outlaw. Not a fan of Emotiva and the Parasound is more than I care to spend from a value proposition.

The choices were far greater a decade ago…..
A lot of companies are going through management changes. It might work out that nicely in this case. I don't work there anymore. Several people don't work there anymore (read between those lines).

If I were in the market for an amp now, I don't know what I'd do. Parasound is in flux as are a number of others and the business is down from it's sugar high during the pandemic. Class D amps seem the future because of their energy efficiency. They're about as interesting as your average toaster, but whatever. You might be just as well going with someone like Buckeye Audio who assembles class D modules into complete amplifiers for not much money.

Sorry to be so downbeat, but on the good side, I'm happily retired and able to work out, ride my mountain bike, do projects around the house, and twiddle with my audio system to my heart's content. :bouncygrin:

Thank you for your insight. I am seeing something similar- many MFG’s are out….11 channel amplification, class d, is mostly the game now. Was there a change in ATI’s 1800 series (1820 vs 1800) other than the faceplate? I can honestly say I’m a little jealous of your new status. Have some fun and know I’m envious as I head to a conference this week in Cleveland.

Thank you for your insight. I am seeing something similar- many MFG’s are out….11 channel amplification, class d, is mostly the game now. Was there a change in ATI’s 1800 series (1820 vs 1800) other than the faceplate? I can honestly say I’m a little jealous of your new status. Have some fun and know I’m envious as I head to a conference this week in Cleveland.
I didn't really follow the progress of the 1800 series, so I couldn't say what the difference between the 1820 and 1800 is. Usually though, the changes were minor though throughout their ranges. Hey, they gotta change something to keep the line 'fresh'.

By the way, you might find this single-ended-triode amplifier I recently designed and built interesting. I use it for the HF horns on my Altecs. I don't post on that forum anymore but I did a thread which covered the entire build. I don't think you have to join the forum to read the thread.

Retro SET Amplifier Build

Last edited:
Back