• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

More Schiit

apcarandang

My Schiit Modi 2 came in the mail today and I connected it to the Magni 3. I was using the Schiit Fulla 2 and Fiio E10K for DAC's before. I'm using the Bowers & Wilkins P7 with it right now. Will try it with the Oppo PM-3 later.

Initial impressions: Soundstage is way better and bass notes are effortless. The highs are much better too.

I guess I'm happy with this combo. The only way I can improve the sound is upgrading to better headphones.

A.jpg

For those of us who don't know, mind explaining the scoop on the poop and what those little Schiits do?

Jeff

For those of us who don't know, mind explaining the scoop on the poop and what those little Schiits do?

Jeff

The Schiit Magni 3 is a just a straight forward headphone amp and the Modi 2 is an external DAC. Modern electronics from Smartphones, DVD players, Receivers have built-in DAC's computers tend to have a lot of electronic noise inside due to the fact that you have fans, processors and all the other parts of a computer that can create electrical noise. By using an external DAC you isolate it from all the electronic noise. There are several DAC's used for audio and what's interesting in my experience is the DAC chips on the Schiit Fulla 2 which I also have and the Schiit Modi 2 are exactly the same but somehow the sound from the Modi 2 is better. So the DAC chip themselves just play a role in getting the cleanest sound possible out of your computer. Compared to just just the Fulla 2 and The Magni/Modi combo, the latter gives a better soundstage with my Oppo PM-3 headphones or Bowers and Wilkins P7. I haven't tried it yet with all the headphones I have but I will get to using them with this combo later.

I'd be interested to see how it sounds with the Sony MDR-1A which is a very efficient headphone to begin with. Then how it sounds with my open back headphones ( Senheisser HD558 and the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X ).

Some of our members have why better external DAC's and headphone amps than this combo. But the performance to price ratio on the Schiit is hard to beat. So the Magni 3 and Modi 2 combo will be permanently setup on my work desk at home and the Fulla 2 will be my mobile DAC/Amp for my MacBook Air.

Back