• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

MP3 To Vinyl

^ My pleasure Matt................timing is perfect, because we are about to start to clean out some of the old components that have been boxed up for well over 10 yrs! If my vinyl collection was not destroyed 15 yrs ago, this old Philips would have been set up and running. Let's hope that it works well......

I was always a fanatic about keeping original packaging, brochures and receipts, they will be in the box along with a EON Plater clamp. Remember this was purchased in 1980. The cartridge is an Ortofon OM Concorde.

Enjoy!

:text-bravo:

Want to give a big shout out to Heeman who sent me a beautiful record player. The needle got damaged in transport but the cartridge was fine so ordered a replacement stylus needle for 16 bucks on eBay but the player itself works great and the inner mechanism looks brand new. Heeman kept everything from receipts for the higher end cartridge and stylus needle to the brochure of the player and manual. He really kept great care of this player.

Told him I picked up some awesome LP's at a record store for 25 cents each. Albums like Hotel California, best of Asia and ELO and Jackson Brown guess today's youth don't put much value on great rock albums from our generation.

Thanks again Keith I owe you a beer at the gtg.

The player hooked up ready for a needle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 621
Enjoy that Turntable Matt!

It got a lot, I mean A LOT of use back in the 80's.

Sorry to hear about the stylus damage, but glad to hear that you located one pretty cheap.

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

MatthewB said:
Want to give a big shout out to Heeman who sent me a beautiful record player. The needle got damaged in transport but the cartridge was fine so ordered a replacement stylus needle for 16 bucks on eBay but the player itself works great and the inner mechanism looks brand new. Heeman kept everything from receipts for the higher end cartridge and stylus needle to the brochure of the player and manual. He really kept great care of this player.

Told him I picked up some awesome LP's at a record store for 25 cents each. Albums like Hotel California, best of Asia and ELO and Jackson Brown guess today's youth don't put much value on great rock albums from our generation.

Thanks again Keith I owe you a beer at the gtg.

The player hooked up ready for a needle.
MattB,

Here's my 25 cents worth...

Those "awesome LP's" are going to sound like crap compared to the CD version. I say this from experience.

Even my pristine (ie. personally-bought and cared-for) LPs, played on a good turntable with a very good cartridge can't compare to the CD. I have, in the past been either given, or have acquired, used LPs. I have found none that have been cared for even remotely as well as my own, and consequently they have sounded poor (at best) in comparison to the CD.

Simply put, if you only have so much available quality time to listen to music, you might as well listen to the higher quality version.

Now I'm not saying that turntable / vinyl has no place in a home. Presumably today's brand new pressings on high quality 180 gram vinyl will yield sound that better approximates CD's higher sound quality. But its real value would be in playing LPs that are simply not (yet) available on CD. And there are tens of thousands (or more) such titles. So given the choice between a used 25 cent LP that I can't find on CD, and not getting to hear that great music (no matter how crappy the sound might be), I'll gladly spend the 25 cents.

But Hotel California?

Don't think so - especially when used copies of the CD can be had for 1 cent on Amazon!

Jeff

Jeff this is my first turn table and with the collection I'm about to get (of rare and unheard classic albums) I figure I better pick up a few titles to test the turn table. I've read how LP's have a pure sound compared to CD's which have gaps in the audio and I thought it would be nice to make a comparison to see for myself. Hence why I bought an album of a CD I have. Kinda like some fool who bought 20 copies of "Tom Sawyer" by Rush. :happy-smileygiantred:

I'm positive the collection I'm getting will be filled with tons of new artists (like you introduced me to Jeff). But the LPs collection is free and Keith gave me a free player I figure a few 25 cent albums would be worth it.

This is more an experiment for my ears and to get more into serious listening and trying to recall my childhood when my folks would play tons of LP's.

MatthewB said:
Jeff this is my first turn table and with the collection I'm about to get (of rare and unheard classic albums) I figure I better pick up a few titles to test the turn table. I've read how LP's have a pure sound compared to CD's which have gaps in the audio and I thought it would be nice to make a comparison to see for myself. Hence why I bought an album of a CD I have. Kinda like some fool who bought 20 copies of "Tom Sawyer" by Rush. :happy-smileygiantred:

I'm positive the collection I'm getting will be filled with tons of new artists (like you introduced me to Jeff). But the LPs collection is free and Keith gave me a free player I figure a few 25 cent albums would be worth it.

This is more an experiment for my ears and to get more into serious listening and trying to recall my childhood when my folks would play tons of LP's.

:laughing-rolling:

I agree with Jeff's assessment of vinyl. However, I have a lot of Sheffield Lab/Mobile Fidelity/JVC disks, many of them recorded direct-to-disk and for which digital copies will never be available, and that was enough to keep my turntable/cartridge alive. And as you mention, I have some vinyl gems in standard pressing that haven't come out on CD (Pousette-Dart Band, for instance).

We'll got my replacement needle and listened to a Hanford of LP's. Here is my rudimentary findings. Some LPs sound better than CD's some don't I assume it has to do with mastering. I forgot how annoying those pops were but it's just during the quiet moments. With mp3's I can skip all over the place using my remote with LPs you sit and listen till the LP finishes (good and bad with that. No pause when the phone rings.

I will say more morning listening session was pleasant and thanks again to Heeman for the wonderful player.

JeffMackwood said:

Here's my 25 cents worth...

Those "awesome LP's" are going to sound like crap compared to the CD version. I say this from experience.

Even my pristine (ie. personally-bought and cared-for) LPs, played on a good turntable with a very good cartridge can't compare to the CD. I have, in the past been either given, or have acquired, used LPs. I have found none that have been cared for even remotely as well as my own, and consequently they have sounded poor (at best) in comparison to the CD.

Simply put, if you only have so much available quality time to listen to music, you might as well listen to the higher quality version.

Now I'm not saying that turntable / vinyl has no place in a home. Presumably today's brand new pressings on high quality 180 gram vinyl will yield sound that better approximates CD's higher sound quality. But its real value would be in playing LPs that are simply not (yet) available on CD. And there are tens of thousands (or more) such titles. So given the choice between a used 25 cent LP that I can't find on CD, and not getting to hear that great music (no matter how crappy the sound might be), I'll gladly spend the 25 cents.

But Hotel California?

Don't think so - especially when used copies of the CD can be had for 1 cent on Amazon!

Jeff

Totally agree Jeff. I love vinyl, but for me the medium is really about getting material that never made it to CD/digital.

Matt,

If you get the chance, check out Audacity.

I use it all the time when converting vinyl to digital (flac). There's a noise filter for the pops and clicks. It's not just for vinyl either. My Genesis "Three Sides Live" CD has a flaw where the four last tracks aren't indexed correctly. I was able to load the CD files to my PC and use Audacity to put the track indexes where they should be. It's a great little program.

Got my records today and the 80 year old woman has an awesome collection. Some pretty good stuff like Janis Joplin, Led Zepellin, The Eagles, Blood Sweat and Tears and so much more. Here's a picture of all the albums she gave me. About 150 of some great artists. Including some rare albums.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 515
Thanks again Heeman for the awesome turn table it works great. I've been in music nirvana all day.

I am glad that you are enjoying it! Are you using the EON Plater clamp?

I have an Onkyo Integra; TA-2056 Cassette Deck up for grabs if anyone is interested?

No not using the clamp. Does it make a difference. I tried it once but didn't hear a difference.

Back