• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Music listening has changed

Haywood said:
I doubt I will ever bother with putting in an outdoor speaker system. Bluetooth just makes more sense for that kind of application. I also like Bluetooth for workshops, bathrooms and other secondary music-only setups. The convenience factor is huge and I am honestly "over" having piles of gear scattered all over the house. I have a nice setup in my living room and a decent entry-level home theater in the family room. The rest of the house is sound bars, sub-sats and portables, all of which support Bluetooth.
Yeah, but...

Come visit me - in the summer. We'll sit out in the backyard and chill, listening to tunes through a pair of Paradigm 80-SM Rock Monitors, sitting in the garden on opposites sides of the yard. Biggest complaint I get from the neighbours (on each side, as they frolic in their pools): "You need to turn the music UP, it sounds great!"

I'm pretty sure that no Bluetooth speaker would sound as good, nor be able to be left out in the garden year-round, in all weather conditions.

But for the rest of the house, indoors, perhaps...

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
Haywood said:
I doubt I will ever bother with putting in an outdoor speaker system. Bluetooth just makes more sense for that kind of application. I also like Bluetooth for workshops, bathrooms and other secondary music-only setups. The convenience factor is huge and I am honestly "over" having piles of gear scattered all over the house. I have a nice setup in my living room and a decent entry-level home theater in the family room. The rest of the house is sound bars, sub-sats and portables, all of which support Bluetooth.
Yeah, but...

Come visit me - in the summer. We'll sit out in the backyard and chill, listening to tunes through a pair of Paradigm 80-SM Rock Monitors, sitting in the garden on opposites sides of the yard. Biggest complaint I get from the neighbours (on each side, as they frolic in their pools): "You need to turn the music UP, it sounds great!"

I'm pretty sure that no Bluetooth speaker would sound as good, nor be able to be left out in the garden year-round, in all weather conditions.

But for the rest of the house, indoors, perhaps...

Jeff

It is not so much that I don't think I can do better outdoors, it is that outdoor listening is already so compromised in so many ways that I'm not sure it is worth the effort it would take to set something up. Technically, what I use outside is not a Bluetooth speaker. It is a Squeezebox Boom WiFi table radio, but it is a similar kind of thing. The cool thing about the Boom is that it is a Squeezebox, so I can synchronize it with whatever is playing inside and my deck is only 10x15, so it does not take a huge amount of output to fill the space with music.

Back