• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My BD Present: A Panny DMP-BD89

yromj

Jan upgraded my blu-ray player in the theater to the Panny BD89 and I couldn't be happier. Before this I had always used Sony BD players and been very happy. However, a few weeks ago I noticed that the BD89 was a DLNA renderer and could play FLAC files via DLNA.

The unit is fairly small and light. I wish it were heavier so it wouldn't scoot quite so easily. One thing I like is that the buttons are top of the unit and labeled w/ white letters making seeing and using them very easy. I was about the only one of the three of us who could use our previous Sony because the buttons were labeled in gray and very small.

c1e03672-3c18-4ac8-91d8-d2ee9ad9c53e.jpg

Initial set up was very straight forward and easy. I use a wired connection for the network so that was especially easy to configure since I just let client devices use DHCP for address assignment. Also, I was surprised to discover that the unit had the latest firmware installed out of the box. I started browsing my network and found my Twonky server running on my NAS and started browsing my media. I played a couple of songs to verify FLAC was functional then I configured the device to allow control via the LAN.

I thought that I could use a Panny app on my Android devices to control the player, however that's not the case. Once I confirmed that I started using Bubble Soft's BubbleUPNP app to browse songs using my phone and tablet. We spent the next couple of hours just browsing and playing songs.

The manual led me to believe that I would have to browse the menu and start the DLNA renderer function but this is not the case. I can simply start the UPNP app on a device, select a song, and play it to the player as long as it is turned on. Also, Pauly take note of this, I can play music WITH THE DISPLAY TURNED OFF!!

I incorporated the unit into my URC fairly seamlessly. The only difficulty was locating discrete on/off commands but thank goodness for http://www.remotecentral.com and its discrete code database.

Some other info that may pertain to some but not really me is that the player can be configured for up to four different users. I configured the first user which was easy. The video services are more limited than the Sony but my Netgear NeoTV takes care of all of that for me so that's no biggie. You can adjust the picture in the player's menu, too. I didn't try this because I like to only adjust one device. Also, the thing turns on in a SNAP!! I was really surprised how quickly it comes on.

I'm really glad that I can finally sit on my couch and browse my music library on my tablet and play any song I want. That's the best birthday present I've gotten in a while and it was only $80! Jan did very well!! :eusa-clap:

John

Photo added by Zing

^ Happy Birthday to you John! Also, Kudos to Jan!!! She knows where your heart is!!! Enjoy!!!!!

My best to you BOTH always!!!! ;)

Thanks Babs!!

I did make one goof in the original post though: Jan and Matthew both got me the player. They did very well!!

John

:eek:ccasion-birthday:
yromj said:
Thanks Babs!!

I did make one goof in the original post though: Jan and Matthew both got me the player. They did very well!!

John
:eek:ccasion-birthday:

Very nice! Sounds like a nice little player, they sure do seem to be getting better for cheaper.

But can it play *SACD* with the display off, that's my question. :laughing: I kinda gave up on that particular quest/windmill. I use my squeezebox for everything else.

Congrats, John! You know you suck, right? :happy-smileygiantred:

PaulyT said:
But can it play *SACD* with the display off, that's my question.
That feature should be irrelevant to him. His gear rack is in the rear of his room.

I also switched from Sony to Panny BD player and am happy with the result. I think I should give Panny products more consideration from now on.

DIYer said:
I also switched from Sony to Panny BD player and am happy with the result. I think I should give Panny products more consideration from now on.
When you consider buying these...

panasonicsc-btt195-surroundspeakers.jpg

...send me your old speakers.

Zing said:
When you consider buying these...

panasonicsc-btt195-surroundspeakers.jpg

...send me your old speakers.
Small port. :(

But if you want my old speakers, fine.

Attachments

• Old speaker.jpg
    Old speaker.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 1,422
PaulyT said:
But can it play *SACD* with the display off, that's my question. :laughing: I kinda gave up on that particular quest/windmill.
My Oppo does. Just wish it'd do the same thing with DVD-A's....

PaulyT said:
Very nice! Sounds like a nice little player, they sure do seem to be getting better for cheaper.

But can it play *SACD* with the display off, that's my question. :laughing: I kinda gave up on that particular quest/windmill. I use my squeezebox for everything else.

If it could play SACD at all it could, but alas...

Zing actually playing discs w/o the need for a display is a big deal to me because I don't want to have to fire up the projo or use the monitor at the back of the room for music playback.

FYI, it won't play DVD-A either.

John

Well, now I'm not sure what Paul meant by his comment but I thought he was referring to the Panny's front panel display.

No, it was about my attempt to play an SACD on my system without having the TV on. Basically I couldn't figure out how to do it, my sony wouldn't do DSD output (over hdmi) without the TV on. That's probably the trick with the oppo, having dual hdmi outputs? One for tv/hdcp, one for audio only.

It's a small thing but I was obsessed with it for a while, that's all. Not a big deal for me anyway since it's just an lcd tv, not a projector.

PaulyT said:
That's probably the trick with the oppo, having dual hdmi outputs? One for tv/hdcp, one for audio only.

I only have a single HDMI output hooked up on my -103, same with my -83. I know some SACD's played automatically after the tray retracted, some I had to hit "Play" on the remote, can't recall a SACD that I had to turn on the display to navigate to a Play situation. I'll look for that over the next few weeks...

Botch,

Pauly's problem was HDCP related. As soon as the player lost connection with a valid display it would stop outputting the data stream to the receiver. This player will play media with the display off (by display I'm referring to the projector or main viewing display - not the one on the unit).

John

High Definition Copy Protection

It's basically the system that requires two HDMI devices to communicate with one another in order to validate that no devices in the chain can record the digital information. It's the "handshake" process which, when it goes wrong, prevents anything from being played.

It actually stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection but yeah, it can be a real pain in the ass...

Back