• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My BD Present: A Panny DMP-BD89

John,
I have recently signed up for Netflix and am one device short as far as Netflix enabled devices . I am thinking of getting this player for the HT. The Oppo will handle blurays, this would be strictly for Netflix. Have you ever tried it as a Netflix player?
Thanks,
Mike
PS: My other choice is the LG BP200

For strictly Netflix streaming, why would you not opt for a stand alone streamer like a RokuHD ($50)?

Towen7 said:
For strictly Netflix streaming, why would you not opt for a stand alone streamer like a RokuHD ($50)?
Cuz up here in the frozen north I can get a Netflix streaming bluray player for cheaper than a Roku. Are they really better than a bluray player for streaming? If so I would pony up the extra $20
Mike

Just my two cents.. I find the interface of the Roku or AppleTV is more intuitive, simpler, and just works better than BD players. The remote is dead simple and it "just works".

I would not recommend a Roku 2 HD. I would get a Roku 3 or at least a Roku 2 XS. You WANT a hard wired Ethernet connection if you can get one an the lower end Roku 2 boxes are wifi only.

Roku has a fantastically simple interface and offers a ton of content. Practically every subscription and premium service out there has a Roku channel and there are loads of free channels as well. It also works extremely well for local media when paired with Plex Media Server, if you are willing to live within the file format restrictions (i.e. no lossless audio and no .avi). We have four Roku boxes around the house and use them mainly for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, Drama Fever and PBS Kids. YouTube is noticeably (an annoyingly) absent, although there are work-around solutions for that omission. It is a killer device for the money.

The answer to your question me is, no I have not used it for Netflix. I have a Netgear NeoTV (which I like pretty well). Having said that, I agree w/ T7 and Haywood. I would grab the newest Roku for just streaming. The interface is nice (though the Panny does have a dedicated Netflix button on the remote) but you may find the other things the Roku does handy as well.

John

Haywood said:
I would not recommend a Roku 2 HD. I would get a Roku 3 or at least a Roku 2 XS. You WANT a hard wired Ethernet connection if you can get one an the lower end Roku 2 boxes are wifi only.

Roku has a fantastically simple interface and offers a ton of content. Practically every subscription and premium service out there has a Roku channel and there are loads of free channels as well. It also works extremely well for local media when paired with Plex Media Server, if you are willing to live within the file format restrictions (i.e. no lossless audio and no .avi). We have four Roku boxes around the house and use them mainly for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, Drama Fever and PBS Kids. YouTube is noticeably (an annoyingly) absent, although there are work-around solutions for that omission. It is a killer device for the money.

THIS!

Rope

Rope said:
Haywood said:

THIS!

Rope

Actually , at least here in Canada, the Roku 2 XS has an ethernet port. In the end , I went with the Panny dmp bd 89. It has ethernet. It is not Bluetooth like the Roku, so I have set it up with my Harmony One and it is working like a charm. Problem with Roku, if I cancel Netflix it is essentially useless to me. So far so good with the Panny.

Awesome Mike! Glad you're enjoying it. I LOVE mine and couldn't be happier.

John

Back