• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My centre channel speaker just took a high dive..

mcad64

..from it's rightful place above the plasma in the entertainment unit. Not sure exactly what/how it happened. I came downstairs from the bedrooms, hit the floor with too much exuberance perhaps and down it came I guess. I had it propped up with a couple of door stops to get it angled down to the viewing area. The door stops used to be quite grippy (if that is a word) but they are now brittle and well....much less grippy!!! Yanked the speaker wires off the banana plugs and snapped 2 of the clips that holds the grill in place, also scuffed part of the plasma stand as it bounced off that on its way down!!
Did some dusting while it was down :oops: , hooked up the wires and threw it back up and from what I can tell it is fine. No buzzing , nothing seems loose....whew!!!
Thank you Paradigm for making such a sturdy CC370!!!!
Mike
PS: Honestly, what are the chances that I haven't seriously hosed something inside this thing???

Did it land on bare floor or carpet with a pad underneath? Don't know if manufacturers "drop-test" these during the design phase. I would guess that the drivers are OK. I'd shake it to see if anything inside rattles & test the freq response. If the enclosure isn't cracked that's a good sign, too.

Ruined. Send it to me for proper disposal. I'll hook it to a 3000 watt amp and film what happens as public service announcement on the perils of pushing speakers too hard.

Flint said:
Ruined. Send it to me for proper disposal. I'll hook it to a 3000 watt amp and film what happens as public service announcement on the perils of pushing speakers too hard.
You'll likely do more damage to the speaker if you hook it up to a 30 watt amp. :eusa-whistle:

Zing said:
Flint said:
You'll likely do more damage to the speaker if you hook it up to a 30 watt amp. :eusa-whistle:

But then the only hope for an explosion will be from the amp, not the speaker.

We have a thick persian rug with a foam underlay in front of the entertainment unit. I guess it would help to cushion the fall better than the hardwood that is everywhere else. I didn't shake it , but I took the grill cover off (can't actually remember which way it landed) and everything looks good from the outside. I think I dodged a bullet.
Mike

I hope you replaced, or soon will replace, the rubber door stops. Like condoms, they have an expiration date printed on them.

MatthewB said:
Listen you cheap bastard I got one word for you. Mopads!!!!! :scared-eek:

Matt,
Thanks for the kind words!!! :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :eek:bscene-buttred: Actually, I have Mopads downstairs in the 7.1 system aiming my centre channel up!!! Going to go out and get some for the centre that just took the nose dive. Better Mopad than sorry!!
Mike

Mike, if the way you had it mounted was where you like it, just add some carpet tape to the mix. Mine is the Shurtape brand from Lowes. It's a 2 sided tape that is strong enough to hold it in place but won't be hard to remove or ruin the finish of the speaker if you need to remove it. I'm using it to keep a pair of Dynaudio's on the stands. They aren't budging, and I have a hallway rug that hasn't moved an inch since I applied it.

Mike

You need a setup like I have:

DSCF0031-1.jpg

I use a what is marketed as a wall stand for smaller CRT TV's (like used in hospitals). I for the life of me can't remeber where I ordered it from but it was only about $35 and has worked like a charm plus it is pretty adjustable.

Well since a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is what it looks like.

DSC_0056.JPG

The centre is sitting level in this photo. I had the door stops under it to aim it downwards. I take back what I said to Matt!!! Maybe I am a cheap bastard as B's idea sounds pretty good. The nice thing about the door stops is that you couldn't really see them. The mopads will be visible and my wife will surely say" What are those ugly things that say Auralex?"
Mike

Flint said:
Zing said:
Flint said:

But then the only hope for an explosion will be from the amp, not the speaker.

Did that with an old Marantz cheapy reciever to the EV S15-3A for a cubscout line dance
The kids were having a good time and then there was a crack and buzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Something smells? Sorry just cooked the amp. Giggle.

Dropping a magnet is not good for microphone or speaker. Looses some power from the drop depending on what the magnet is made from.

Also glad your center channel speaker survived.

I recently proved the importance of the CC. We sat down to watch The Social Neetwork and in the dialogue heavy opening scene, the dialogue was nearly unintelligible. My wife was complaining and I knew when she heard it there must be something wrong.

Hit the pause button and ran downstairs & grabbed my old KV-2. Replaced the KV-3 and VOILA, fixed.
The next day I called Klipsch & ordered a new tweeter. 5 days later it arrived, I replaced it and the KV-3 is back in place.

Randy --- next time put it in virtual center mode if that happens. Two working speakers will always outperform on partially working speaker.

I could have done that and used phantom mode, but I had another nearly identical center channel in the closet downstairs so it was a quick and easy swap.

Hopefully there will not be a next time. LOL

Back