• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My DIY Bar (lots of pics!)

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Ok, finally (after about 6 years), I've finally gotten to do what I've always wanted in my HT.....buy or build a bar. I had some excess wood laying around, so I thought I would see how far I could go without spending some money. Unfortunately I do have to hit Home Depot for items here and there (like my wall outlets for example in that other thread), but I've saved all my receipts and plan on adding up my total costs. I'm sure someone, especially here, could do better for less, but this is a learning experience for me. There is no set time for me to be done, so any snags on the way, I'll take my time to think it through and figure out.

First I thought I would build up some 2x4s in a 'ladder' style fashion. This was to be the bar's skeleton. I figure the whole project could be broken down into three phases:

1- frame it out (the bar's basic size and shape)
2- skin it out (panels, doors, and tops that would be cut to size and stained and polyed)
3- trim it out (those little pieces of wood and trim that hide things like seams between two panels, plywood edges, etc.....or in my case, cover some mistakes)

Here's some pics of the framing, which I used 2x4s I had laying around.

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg

The tallest ladder frame was for the bar height and where I would mount my bar top. The smaller, for the counter top. The smallest square looking frames would join the two sections and would be the "ribs" of the frame so to speak.

Here's what it looks like after assembly. I used 2" or 2.5" cabinet screws (can't remember).

IMAG0329.jpg

So, you start to see the shape of the bar once everything's put together. One thing I've noticed is that stupid support pole in the center of my basement. It has been a thorn in my side since moving into my house. Seems it's always in the way no matter how I planned on laying out the HT. Now it seems my bar project will be the same way, but I found a solution. I thought I would just bring the bar out that much further in width. This also made the bar more rigid, since the wall on the other end was it's only anchor point at the time (I didn't want to drill into my floor for anchoring). Some pics.

Before

IMAG0344.jpg

After

IMAG0372.jpg

What I did to encompass the pole was cut a small section of plywood, then drill out a 3" hole with a hole saw. I then split the two pieces in half and just butt them back together like so.

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

Unfortunately, as you can see, I didn't account for the width of my saw blade. See the little gap? I guess I can probably fill that in with a bit of sawdust/glue mix. I personally don't see it as an eyesore as I'm glad I'll have the support pole covered in the end. Also, the white counter top in the first pic was from an old workbench the previous homeowner left behind. I took the bench apart to use the wood from it for the bar. Later on, I plan on building a back bar and will use that counter top for it.

****side note. Being a slow typer sucks. Good thing I copied my text before submitting my post. The forum logged me out for some reason.****

Nice work so far Yesfan! What type of structure will support the upper bar top?

Oops nevermind, I just saw the supports sitting on the countertop...

Fantastic!

Can you get a wider shot of the room so I can see the layout?

Next, I began cutting my paneling for the sides, front of bar, and for the counter and bar tops. I used beadboard for the front and side of the bar then dryfitted to see how the bar front would look.

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

Then I stained them and ran into this. :angry-banghead:

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

Like shit right? That's what I thought. I moved one of the striped pieces to the end to see if it looked better. Nope, so back to HD I went only to find all they had was the striped beadboard (I liked the solid piece best). So due to funds, I thought the "Tiger Bar" it will be. I also picked up 5 of this to use as support for the bar.

IMAG0382.jpg

So, now I started on the countertop and cut my pieces for that. After cutting, I put them on the top to see how they will look.

IMAG0351.jpg

A view down the length of the bar. Bar width is 2 inches shy of 11 feet.

IMAG0353.jpg

Stained vs unstained.

IMAG0374.jpg

After I stained it, I went ahead and put it on the top. I used some 1" brad nails from my electric nailer.

IMAG0402.jpg

IMAG0403.jpg

I went ahead and put in some gang boxes for my wall outlets. I wanted to be able to have power for my Beertender, barlights, blender, and all the goodies that's associated with a stocked bar.

IMAG0388.jpg

After drilling some holes through the framing to route my wiring, I installed the outlets.

IMAG0470.jpg

IMAG0471.jpg

Thanks to Towen7, Batman, and Randy for their help in wiring them correctly. After I run the wiring to my breaker box, I'll have a electrician friend of mine to take it from there and verify everything's correct.

Towen7 said:
Fantastic!

Can you get a wider shot of the room so I can see the layout?

I need to take some more pics, so I'll make sure and do that.

I appreciate you guys in helping me out. Thanks. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Yesfan -2 Auto log off- 0. I don't know why the forum logs me out after a certain period. I know it takes me a while to type my posts and all, but it's not like I'm sitting there idling either. :confusion-shrug:

So my handrail came in. I got it from a place called http://www.kegworks.com. Great site for bar items. I plan on adding a stainless foot rail when I'm finished. The handrail is oak and is just like what you would see in your local Outback restaurant. A pic.

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

The finish looks great on this. Here it is on the bartop.

IMAG0371.jpg

In order for it to "sit right", I used two 3/4" board for the substrate and the actual top, 1/2", for the top layer. Here's a diagram from Kegworks to give you an idea.

WOODARMREST-diagram-B3.jpg

I had to use what I've got, so the bottom layer is 3/4" MDF. I did think of potential spill issues, but I'm gambling that since it's on the very bottom and will be covered by the other layers and paneling, it would still work. I screwed it to the frame and my corner pieces will screw into the frame and MDF layer for further support. The middle layer I had to go with what I had on hand. I had some spare pieces of 3/4" plywood from my DIY gear rack project (one 66" long), but together they wouldn't span the entire length of the bar. The good thing is they were at the same depth as the MDF at 16". So what I did was just cut the pieces into 6" spacers between the MDF and stain top.

IMAG0477.jpg

IMAG0478.jpg

Then I cut my bartop. I had two 6ft sections, so I just marked off with a pencil and cut that part to even everything out.

IMAG0479.jpg

As you can see, big mistake. The pic is an overhead view with the patron side to the right of your screen. I have a1/4" gap near where the top meets the bar. A little trim should cover it up, but I was pissed that I didn't secure one of those spacers when I marked my line.

Some more shots of the finished bar top.

IMAG0481.jpg

IMAG0480.jpg

And that's about where I'm at. Things I still have to do are: Start on my doors (that's going to be tricky), get the rest of my paneling up. I'm tempted to do that, but I'm going to wait on my bud Roger before I do that. That way, he's still got access to the boxes if he needs to change anything. Then I can put on the rest of the trim and poly everything out for a nice little sheen to it. The foot rail & chairs will probably be the last things on the list since they will be fairly expensive.

Orbison said:
Looks great Yesfan! Did you leave an open space under the bar for a fridge?

IMAG0354.jpg

:dance:

I'm going to move it though. The fridge hinges are on the right, so you have to walk around the door to get something to drink. I plan on building a back bar when I'm done, so I may replace the fridge with a kegerator and move the fridge to the back bar.

Yesfan70 said:
I'm going to move it though. The fridge hinges are on the right, so you have to walk around the door to get something to drink. I plan on building a back bar when I'm done, so I may replace the fridge with a kegerator and move the fridge to the back bar.
Check your frig, you may be able to move the hinges to the other side. Most/all large friges allow this, but I'm not sure about these smaller friges...

Outstanding, Yesfan! I SOOOOO wish I had the time, patience, know-how and general ability to do such a thing. Color me green.

Very cool! Years of enjoyment with that, for sure.

Thanks guys.

I'll keep this updated too. I would have gotten more done today, but thought I would take a break today (fixing to pour my 5th beer.) I'll start up again when I get home from work tomorrow and try to post more pics.

Botch said:
Yesfan70 said:
Check your frig, you may be able to move the hinges to the other side. Most/all large friges allow this, but I'm not sure about these smaller friges...

I'm SOL on that. No biggie as I would like to add a kegerator in the future anyways. Maybe one day, I can start brewing my own beer. A back bar is a definite, so I'll move the fridge there when I get ready.

Zing said:
Outstanding, Yesfan! I SOOOOO wish I had the time, patience, know-how and general ability to do such a thing. Color me green.
what / You can lay asphault & press-in a design & also install a fence it it as well ! Oh, forgot...color you green $$$$$.... :teasing-neener:

Yesfan......if I'm ever in your area........I WILL drink alot of beer with you....... :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

Back