• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Etymotic ER6i's have finally crapped out. Repair options??

Doghart

The earbuds themselves are 100% functional but the wires at the base of the 3.5mm connector are loose.

I've had them forever and they get used daily, so I've definitely gotten my monies worth out of them, but I hate to toss them if a simple repair or replacement of the connector is affordable.

Anywhere online that would repair these earbuds? Local places like this pretty much don't exist anymore :(

You could buy a 3.5mm plug and solder the wires to it. You'd end up with a shorter cable.

If you're not pretty good with soldering teeny tiny things, I'd just buy a new pair of phones. Even I cringe when I have to solder those tiny plugs, and chances are the wires are tinsel instead of stranded wire, which takes a lot of patience and technique to solder. However if the wires are already toast, you don't have much to loose but your time.

Yeah, I always soldered up my own RCA, 1/4" and shielded/mic cords when I played out, but gave up on 1/8" and smaller.

If you have a small soldering iron and some skills, it is only a few bucks to try to fix the wire. I would try it, personally. Then you can take your time researching and choosing something new to replace the ER6i earphones.

I used to solder quite a bit, but it's been many years, it's definitely worth giving a shot because I love these and they are not made any longer. I have all the tools, so just the part is needed.

I ordered the part from amazon. Hopefully have it done in a few days.

Back