• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Friends, pray for LA

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
:cry: :cry: :cry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6t-EjrtD3U[/youtube]

Appears as though our news sources are status qou.

Botch, you wanna break the news to um, or should I?

Rope

Just saw that tonight's low should be -6F. I've lived here since '95 and this is the first year I've seen it go below +10F.
I moved here, however, from Grand Forks ND. There was one dispatch we did to a Minuteman missile silo when it was -28F. Our task was to remove the A-circuit plug from its cable, 15 tiny cables attached by 15 tiny brass screws. Because the screws were so small, we had to do it without gloves, and each of us could do about 3 before the cold immobilized our fingers, and we had to jump back in the truck. Thank god it was totally still, any breeze and we wouldn't have even been sent out (the coldest I've witnessed up there was -85F windchill).
And if Lindsay, our cute/bubbly blond weather girl pops up on the screen one more time to jump up and down about our new record, I may have to drive down to SLC to slap her.

I hail from Wyoming, approximately 58 miles south of Jackson (Star Valley). There's a small town to the northwest (Auburn) that is much lower in elevation. They would record -62°F on a regular basis.

After zero is acheived, the sense of being colder is difficult to ascertain. The difference is your skin freezes quicker.

Rope

Rope said:
After zero is acheived, the sense of being colder is difficult to ascertain.

Agreed. You can only put on so many layers and still move around, and beyond the point where your nose-hairs freeze, you can't tell the difference anymore.

Botch said:
Rope said:

Agreed. You can only put on so many layers and still move around, and beyond the point where your nose-hairs freeze, you can't tell the difference anymore.

Zero degrees?!?!
You know ... I complain about the hot Houston weather in Houston all the time but I'd sooooo much rather be hot that cold.

Fuck that. Do you have to work outside all day ? It can be deadly. I'd rather work in 30 degree weather with a 10 or 20 degree wind chill than 110 heat index/high humidity. You can always put more layers on but when you're in shorts/no shirt, that's the best you can do. And don't forget the gallon or two of water and plenty of electrolytes to avoid heat stroke. Fun.

I'd dare say the majority of people on this forum have never heard or used a block or water heaters for their auto's.
When you have multiple weeks of sub zero temperatures and you don't plug your auto in at night, you walk to work, or school, or where ever you need to go. When you sit in the car the seat feels like a church pew it's so dayum hard.

I walked (shanks pony) to school, which was about 3/4 of a mile. When I would first step outside my nostrils would freeze together.

Rope

Disclaimer: Synthetic oils have reduced the need for block heaters, but not if your temperatures are sub zero for extended periods of time.

GreatDane said:
Fuck that. Do you have to work outside all day ? It can be deadly.

Not for the past few years but yes. I spent the bulk of my career to date working outside.

Towen7 said:
Botch said:
Rope said:

Zero degrees?!?!
You know ... I complain about the hot Houston weather in Houston all the time but I'd sooooo much rather be hot that cold.

I spent 2 weeks in Pensacola, FL at a Digital Equipment Corporation school. First week, I was convinced it was hell on earth. Near the end of week 2, I began to enjoy my stay.

My point? Doesn't matter where you're geographically located, your body will become acclimated, just takes time.

Rope

Towen7 said:
GreatDane said:
Fuck that. Do you have to work outside all day ? It can be deadly.

Not for the past few years but yes. I spent the bulk of my career to date working outside.

Grew up in the Northeastern US and went to school on the US/Canadian Border, I know what Fucking Cold, Ice and Snow is and you can keep it!!!

:text-imsorry: :text-imnewhere:

Rope said:
Doesn't matter where you're geographically located, your body will become acclimated, just takes time.

Rope
It does depend on each person though, too. I grew up in South Dakota, and the temp/humidity could both be in the upper nineties, and I never got used to it, absolutely hated it! I'll gladly take -20 in the winters if I can escape the damn humidity (and I'll never leave the Rockies for that reason!)
The first time I used my block heater it snowed the night before, and covered/hid the extension cord. I got in the car, started it up, started backing out the driveway, then watched my car's grill shatter into a million pieces when the extension cord reached its end! :scared-yipes: :doh: My second car, a 1971 Rustang, didn't have a block heater and to drive home from college at Christmas, I had to put my toaster oven under the engine block with the door open, and constantly swap out 1-gal jugs of hot water inside the engine compartment, to warm the engine enough to start.
This morning it was "only" -3; I started the truck to let it warm up a bit before leaving for work, but when I took my foot off the clutch pedal, it didn't come up! I had to bounce it a bit to get it working; didn't have that problem with my first Toyota, which had seen much colder temps. I remember my first car, with a "three-on-the-tree", on really cold days I had to use both hands to shift, the transmission grease was so stiff.

Finally, one of my coworkers had me rolling on the floor this morning. She said it was so cold this morning that her son actually pulled his pants up! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I have had to work outside predominantly for the past 13+ years and given a choice, I'd take the cold. BUT I've never had to contend with consistent, extended sub-zero temperatures. It does get to a point, at times, both in the winter and summer seasons where the climate is SO extreme I'm just better off at home. Whether it's extreme cold or wind-chill, or insane humidity, my body can only take so much but my body has also acclimated to the elements ~85-90% of the year. I love working outside September through mid-December and mid-march through May though, that's when I make sure to not slack off and hustle as much as I possible can cause I just don't know what the seasons will bring throughout the rest of the year...

Everyone has a climate preference, however persons who reside in areas where the extremes are reached are better suited to live almost any where.

Personally, I hate the heat and detest humidity, (read swamp ass/kanker ass) however I'm not a fan of extreme cold. Like Bats, my favorite time of the year is September- November.

Rope

Back