• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My how things have changed

Deacon

Humble Servant
This is the back of the newly(almost) released Yamaha RX-V679 receiver. It is spec'd out pretty well and will be HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 compliant as well as pass 4k chroma (4:4:4) at 60fps. It is a mid-level receiver far from the flagships but quite some way up levels from entry. I have my eye on getting this one soon.

rx-v679-back.jpg

This is the back of a RX-V1400. The receiver I am currently using. It was spec'd out pretty well in 2004 when it came out. It again was mid-level, highly rated and has performed well until the stereo amps quit on me about a month ago.

110355-yamaha_rxv1400_home_theater_reciever.jpg

I always thought the back of receivers and processors was so nerd-gasmic but now HDMI is replacing many of the inputs and the back does not look so 'packed'. Looks like we are trending toward a receiver with 2 or 3 ports and speaker terminals only.

Ha! Indeed. Among other advantages, HDMI has moved things a long way in reducing the number of cables/connectors. I remember buying a CD player that was proudly sporting "the new HDMI interface" and I remember thinking, what the hell is that? It was only quite a few years later - when I joined this crowd at S&V - that I ended up with an HDMI-capable receiver.

I expect to embrace HDMI 2.0 and Atmos the next time I upgrade my receiver, which will likely be the next time I upgrade my display. My current receiver might migrate to my family room or my parent's house.

I think the change is for the good. How many of those legacy analog inputs did you ever use?
I counted 7 composite/s-video inputs and 6 analog rca audio inputs. Waste of money and resources in my opinion.

I have been looking for a preamp/processor with only a few HDMI, a few S/PDIF, one USB, one analog audio, and one BlueTooth input, with a basic line level analog output for less than $200, and I cannot find one.

How many sources do we have these days? With a ROKU, Amazon Fire, AppleTV, or whatever, we don't need all those inputs anymore. What's normal today? One BlurRay, one PC (oftena laptop), one streaming media player (could be the Bluray player), and maybe your phone? Oh, add an analog input for Phonograph or cassette for the nostalgic crowd and your done. That's, like, 5 inputs, total. Add a few more, just in case, and you're done.

But why hasn't Bluetooth not become standard on receivers and preamps?

I guess I could look it up myself, but is there a significant loss of fidelity when using Bluetooth? It's been "good enough" for me but I'm not a critical listener and I use it primarily in the car. On that note there are a few quirks when using multiple BT sources with a single receiver.

Flint said:
I have been looking for a preamp/processor with only a few HDMI, a few S/PDIF, one USB, one analog audio, and one BlueTooth input, with a basic line level analog output for less than $200, and I cannot find one.

How many sources do we have these days? With a ROKU, Amazon Fire, AppleTV, or whatever, we don't need all those inputs anymore. What's normal today? One BlurRay, one PC (oftena laptop), one streaming media player (could be the Bluray player), and maybe your phone? Oh, add an analog input for Phonograph or cassette for the nostalgic crowd and your done. That's, like, 5 inputs, total. Add a few more, just in case, and you're done.

I could not agree more. It is very annoying to not have Bluetooth as a standard option and they are putting way more legacy inputs than most people will ever use. I would love to see something really simple with maybe 4 HDMI, 2 Optical, 2 Coax Digital and 2 Analog Audio. That would be more than I would ever use and provide tons of flexibility. Who the hell needs a composite video input these days? Even a component input is of limited utility. I only use them when I run out of HDMI inputs.

I have the same three source components in both of my home theater systems: a Roku 3, a PS3 and a rarely used Squeezebox.

Haywood said:
Flint said:

I could not agree more. It is very annoying to not have Bluetooth as a standard option and they are putting way more legacy inputs than most people will ever use. I would love to see something really simple with maybe 4 HDMI, 2 Optical, 2 Coax Digital and 2 Analog Audio. That would be more than I would ever use and provide tons of flexibility. Who the hell needs a composite video input these days? Even a component input is of limited utility. I only use them when I run out of HDMI inputs.

I have the same three source components in both of my home theater systems: a Roku 3, a PS3 and a rarely used Squeezebox.
I still need all those "old" inputs for my laserdisc players, Super-VHS, Hi-8mm VCR, cassette deck, and DVD recorder. :)

I have pretty much pitched all of my legacy gear at this point. I did a huge purge during the last move and got rid of a ton of stuff in an effort to simplify. When I finally upgrade my current receiver, I would love something minimalist. The only features I really want to see other than a basic compliment of inputs are a modern IP-based control system and a second zone HDMI output to run my kitchen system off.

More inputs is always better, but yeah, the advent of HDMI has pretty well done away with most of the jacks on the back of receivers. Looking at my great room system, not one of the connected devices are analog- Blu-Ray, Wii U, DirecTV, and AppleTV. There's an optical feed line running back from the TV to the receiver, but otherwise that's it.

Thing is, though, now I'm wanting more than 4 HDMI ports. Adding anything else means I have to pick and choose. I don't think a half dozen is asking too much.

Six HDMI, one Optical and one Digital Coax would probably cover most use cases. Just provide two matrixed HDMI outputs and something better than IR for the remote and I'd be thrilled.

On my bedroom system I have my PS3, Roku 3, Directv HD and HD-DVD going thru my DVDO edge and two HDMI going from the Edge one to my Denon 3808ci and one to my LED TV so my receiver only needs one HDMI input. I also get the added benefit of advanced Picture controls using the video processor.

For those with limited inputs for about 150.00 pick yourself up an Edge on eBay.

MatthewB said:
On my bedroom system I have my PS3, Roku 3, Directv HD and HD-DVD going thru my DVDO edge and two HDMI going from the Edge one to my Denon 3808ci and one to my LED TV so my receiver only needs one HDMI input. I also get the added benefit of advanced Picture controls using the video processor.

For those with limited inputs for about 150.00 pick yourself up an Edge on eBay.

Attachments

• PinkyBrainHDDVD.jpg
    PinkyBrainHDDVD.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 662
Back