• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Idea Of A Sub Amp

Volti

I need a simple solution for my customers. I build subwoofers that match the style and aesthetics of my speakers, but I don’t want to use plate amplifiers in them.

Vit1e.jpg

http://www.voltiaudio.com

What I need is a sub amp that will do the following:

• Take the input signal from the customers preamp and split it to provide a signal to the main system amplifiers. Just a Y connection, not a crossed-over signal.
    Process the signal digitally to provide a crossover point for the subwoofer signal only, in single Hz increments between 40 – 100Hz at a 24db slope.
    Provide at least 500 watts of power, single channel, 4ohm load.
    Have a remote volume control that allows for at least minimal adjustment of the volume level of the sub in relation to the main system, and also provides a mute button for the sub.
    Have a display large enough to be able to read it from 15 feet away, and quickly and easily understand exactly what level the subwoofer is at.

I would love to find someone who can build units like this. I believe there is a market for something like this far beyond the few customers that I sell speakers to. Anyone who has a two-channel system that wants to add a subwoofer to would find this to be a great piece to have in their system.

Greg

I can't really offer any valuable input other than to say, if I were looking to do what you're looking to do, my first phone call would be to Marchand Electronics. Even if they can't/won't build the amp you're looking for - and that's a pretty big if - I'm certain they'd be able to direct you to someone who can/will.

You could look into a DBX driverack or Behringer ULTRA-DRIVE PRO DCX2496 (2 in 6 out)

You can then define the outputs as full range and lowpass the sub from the summed channels.

I have a Rane SM26 (2 in 8 out) that sends the full range to the main amps. Then use a Rane AC22 crossover to get the Sub output. The highs from the crossover go to a digital delay (50 ft) and then to amp for second line with 150 hz and up.

The problem you will run into is the overlap of the full range and the sub will cause a mid base rise and the lower base will drop back to normal. When working the bands live I will allow this to provide a good solid 80 hz thump for the kick.

Amp would be your choice with what power you want.

Zing said:
I can't really offer any valuable input other than to say, if I were looking to do what you're looking to do, my first phone call would be to Marchand Electronics. Even if they can't/won't build the amp you're looking for - and that's a pretty big if - I'm certain they'd be able to direct you to someone who can/will.

It sure looks like they have the ability to make something exactly like what I'm describing.

Greg

malsackj said:
You could look into a DBX driverack or Behringer ULTRA-DRIVE PRO DCX2496 (2 in 6 out)

You can then define the outputs as full range and lowpass the sub from the summed channels.

I have a Rane SM26 (2 in 8 out) that sends the full range to the main amps. Then use a Rane AC22 crossover to get the Sub output. The highs from the crossover go to a digital delay (50 ft) and then to amp for second line with 150 hz and up.

The problem you will run into is the overlap of the full range and the sub will cause a mid base rise and the lower base will drop back to normal. When working the bands live I will allow this to provide a good solid 80 hz thump for the kick.

Amp would be your choice with what power you want.

I have several active crossovers including the Behringer DCX2496 and an EV DX38. Right now when a customer wants me to provide power and processing for the subwoofer as part of the Vittora system, this is the type of system I put together. Exactly what depends on the budget. But I'm trying to get away from having several components and the associated wiring, etc... The added complexity is usually not welcomed by my customers. I want a single box that will do everything in my list above.

Greg

Back