• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My less than a year old Sony STR-DN1080 sounds like a metronome!!

mcad64

Sitting having morning coffee in the living room with my wife. Stereo is off. Suddenly it starts making a ticking noise and the standby light is flashing red! That ain't good I say to my wife!! Hit the power button for shits and giggles knowing that will not do squat! Will it did something!! The flashing red light turned to a flashing green light. Still the the ticking!! So I unplugged it from the powerbar. Ticking stops ..nat!! Ticking in rear left of chassis, where the power cord comes in. Would that be a wonky step up transformer thingy?? Any ideas smart guys?
Bought it new in September of 2019...bummer. Bought it at Bestbuy. Honestly not sure what Bestbuy/Sony warranty policy is.
Fart with a capital F U C K!!! Would have swapped it out for the ONKYO that it replaced but that was moved to our the condo..two hours away. All my older receiver do not have HDMI!!! Did I say fart already?
Mike
PS: I suppose I can still watch Netflix and Prime video using the tv speakers n'est pas?

What tempo was the metronome ticking? Unfortunately, many Sony products are shit lately. I won't buy Sony stuff that readily if I am in the market for anything.

Sound like a relay maybe engaging and disengaging. Make sure there are no shorts on the outputs.

Disconnect you speakers and see if it still happens.

If you paid using a credit card call your credit card company. Not many people know this but they will warranty electronics for like two years from purchase date. Best buy will just refer you to the manufacturer unless you paid extra for a warranty thru them. But credit cards will either refund you or pay for a replacement for two years from date of purchase.

Disconnected speakers, disconnected everything. No joy in Mudville. I can honestly say this is the first piece of electronics that I have ever had a fail in the warranty period.
Talked to service support at SONY this morning. Asked me to try one thing. It didn't work. Off for repair. Hopefully won't be gone too long. Repair centre is only an hour down the highway.

So I have my receiver back and everything is peachy keen!! Sent it on Friday afternoon and its back today.
Here is the note that was left inside the box.
Solution: Replaced component(s) on power board.
What the hell does that mean? Did they replace a component (singular) or components (plural). Would I be an asshole if I called the place and asked them (even though I might not know the terminology) EXACTLY what they replaced?
Mike
PS: If I am a dick so be it. I called. Lovely lady replied and told me exactly what was done. Replaced the Standby Dcdc Mounted PC board
A-2129-947-A.jpg

Last edited:
So I have my receiver back and everything is peachy keen!! Sent it on Friday afternoon and its back today.
Here is the note that was left inside the box.
Solution: Replaced component(s) on power board.
What the hell does that mean? Did they replace a component (singular) or components (plural). Would I be an asshole if I called the place and asked them (even though I might not know the terminology) EXACTLY what they replaced?
Mike

Please find out if you can............

I would guess they know that most people wouldn't care or have any idea what they're talking about. I'd think the technician who worked on it would be willing to describe in more detail what (s)he did...

See my edited post above!!

So if the standby circuit is not working, then the unit will not turn on........... and the clicking you were hearing was a relay cycling on and off due to the lack of a certain signal to turn on, most likely the output stage.

So if the standby circuit is not working, then the unit will not turn on........... and the clicking you were hearing was a relay cycling on and off due to the lack of a certain signal to turn on, most likely the output stage.
Makes sense. Still disconcerting that it failed after only 10 months.

In electronics reliability, those are known as "infant mortality" failures, the first 1/3 of the Bathtub Curve.

Back