• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My New Music Store

Towen7

Staff member
There is no point to this post. I just felt like saying that I found an old fashioned music store and have been spending way to much money there lately. It's a dump and there isn't anything there that I probably couldn't find on-line... but I love places like this and feel it worth a few extra bucks to have them around.

IMG00043-20110303-1628.jpg

IMG00044-20110303-17061.jpg

IMG00046-20110303-1709.jpg

I love places like that! There's a few in Chattanooga and Knoxville that Big Ben (4rings4life) and me plan to hit one weekend after work. The one in Knoxville I like is called the Disc Exchange. They don't have as much vinyl as your store seems to have, but plenty to look around.

I love the browsing part. Though the deals online are better, it's just not the same browsing online as it is inside an actual store, especially if you're looking for old vinyl.

EDIT: Inside the Disc Exchange

storepic1.jpg

As I was browsing around their website, I noticed Colin Hay (Men at Work) was going to be there on the 8th to promote his new album. Wished that wasn't on a Tuesday, or I'd head up there.

Are those (GASP) cassette tapes in various piles in that place? I can understand the old-school appreciation for vinyl with good SQ, but tapes?!

PaulyT said:
Are those (GASP) cassette tapes in various piles in that place?!
:scared-eek: I was wondering that too.

A place like this just opened in Tooele where I do Reserve duty, and every couple months I spend an hour or so browsing, and usually end up getting half-a-dozen disks. The owner's already figured out my musical tastes and starts playing things over the in-store music system and I end up asking, "Ooh, what's that?" Got a couple David Gilmour disks that way.

Yesfan70 said:

From the pic of The Disc Exchange I can tell you that it's MUCH larger, cleaner, and better organized than my place. Now I'm jealous.

Towen7 said:
Yesfan70 said:

From the pic of The Disc Exchange I can tell you that it's MUCH larger, cleaner, and better organized than my place. Now I'm jealous.
Sometimes, it is the UN-organized places where you find the real "Jewels"!

Yes, there is still a market for Cassette Tapes. AudioKarma has a thread dedicated to them. Well, they have a tread dedicated to just about everything, but my point is, believe it or not, people still desire Cassette Tapes! Who would of thought?!?!!!!

Great thread Towen and it looks like a fun store to dig around in!

Although I try to stay with my "Used Music Dealer", as I save a lot of money and he works hard to find music for me. I still enjoy going into a music store and like most of you, I come out with a arm full of "Ear Candy" every time. :music-listening:

Oh and I am also an Amazon Prime Member! :text-bravo:

"Buy now with one-click" is just so easy and they know that! :angry-tappingfoot:

Dennie

I have to agree with Dennie, T7. Don't be jealous. Chances are you're going to find the rarer gems than me.

Another place is Lost & Found Records (yes Ben, finally remembered the name!). The few times I remembered to swing by there, they were closed or I was too busy at DE. Just read that Lost & Found suffered some flood damage a couple of days ago. The owner had to throw out a bunch of her merchandise due to flood damage. That sucks.

By the way...Record Day is going to be April 16th this year.

Mark your calenders........

Yesfan70 said:
By the way...Record Day is going to be April 16th this year.

Mark your calenders........

Good Info! :handgestures-thumbup:

That usually means SALES!! :bow-blue:

Dennie

I may start hitting these types of stores for the stuff that's out of print and/or never made it to CD.

Cool, we have Rainbow records, at least I hope it's still there. They have been "revitalizing" main street near the University of Delaware so a lot of cool shops disappear all the time for all this corporate junk and high dollar condos.

soundhound said:
This is one of our last relatively local record shops.

http://www.amoeba.com/store-locations/index.html#hollywood

Did that location use to house another music store? That inside looks awfully similar to a place I went to also in the Hollywood area that sold a lot of classical, don't remember it was a tower records or what... and I kinda think it was on Sunset. This was while I was in college @ Harvey Mudd out in Claremont, would've been back around '90 plus or minus.

We had Rainbow Records, and Odyssey Records & Tapes. After Best Try, Wal-Fart, and Frys moved in, they disappeared.

Rope

Rope said:
We had Rainbow Records, and Odyssey Records & Tapes. After Best Try, Wal-Fart, and Frys moved in, they disappeared.

Rope

Doesn't surprise me. Chattanooga used to have a lot of record/CD stores, but about all we have is Best Try for music. About the only record store we have left is a place called Chad's.

Towen7 said:
There is no point to this post. I just felt like saying that I found an old fashioned music store and have been spending way to much money there lately. It's a dump and there isn't anything there that I probably couldn't find on-line... but I love places like this and feel it worth a few extra bucks to have them around.

IMG00043-20110303-1628.jpg

Wait a sec... THAT'S a "Music Town"???

And this is what the kids over at Empire Records were afraid their store would become? Geesh!!! Where are those bright orange aprons the sales clerks were supposed to wear? Talk about over-reacting teenagers. This place looks like a wonderful dump! Sigh... If only a young Liv Tyler and Renee Zellweger worked there, I'd probably shop there too.

I love a dump. Nothing like an old yesteryear hardware store can spend hours in there. That place reminds me where i bought albums in the 70s and 80s. Tiger Records in KC.

Back