• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My New Porch Speakers

Haywood

Famous
As some of you know, I just bought a pair of quasi-outdoor speakers for my back porch from Flint. They were built to my budget and designed for my specific use case. I needed something that would sound great when played at lower volumes, but that could still be cranked up a bit for a party. I needed something that could handle being kept outdoors on a screened porch most of the year and I needed something low-key that would blend in with the house. Flint had them ready to go when I arrived at his house and they were just delivered to my house in New Hampshire this morning. Before anyone asks, I will post pictures after I get them hung on the porch this weekend.

I suspect the first thing inquiring minds want to know is, "How do these indoor/outdoor patio speakers compare to a pair of Paradigm Studio/40s?" I know I did!

It is obviously a silly comparison, but when has that ever stopped me. The best analogy I can think of is that if my Paradigms are an Audi A4, the porch speakers are a well-equipped Jetta. They don't have the detail or soundstage of the Studio/40s, but they are dynamic and a lot of fun to drive. The top end is open and airy. It almost reminds me of old-school Snell Type Es without the brightness. They have a smooth and balanced sound with slightly accentuated bass that never descends into boominess. That last bit is part of the secret sauce, because these speakers sound great at lower volumes.

The homes in my neighborhood are very close together and my neighbor's screened porch is maybe 30 feet from mine. That means I need to keep the volume down most of the time, so I specifically asked Flint if he could design a speaker that prioritized good sound quality at lower levels. He hit that bit out of the park. I've never heard a speaker produce clear, articulate base at such low volumes. Most speakers lose pretty much all of their bass response when you turn them down, but these don't. They are spot on perfect for the application and are exactly what I asked for. They fact that they can put a big stupid grin on my face when I crank them up is just bonus material.

When I write about speakers, I always want to point at a well-known speaker when describing the sound. That is hard here, because Flint's speakers sound like Flint's speakers. They don't sound like Paradigm, B&W, Dynaudio or any other brand I could reference. His work has its own signature.

Meh. All I know is that I've got the best sounding outdoor(ish) speakers I've ever heard and a big stupid grin on my face.

I cannot wait to read your impressions after installing them as they were designed.

Here's some photos and data on the speakers:

Dyn_Outdoor_20190601_093331.jpg

Dyn_Outdoor_20190609_160149.jpg

Frequency + Acoustic Phase Responses:
FR+Phase_Right.png

Horizontal Normalized Polar Plot:
Polar_Horizontal_Normalized_Left.png

Vertical Normalized Polar Plot:
Polar_Vertical_Normalized_Left.png

1W THD:
THD_Final_2.83V.png

10W THD:
THD_Final_8.944V.png

Ground Plane Dynamic Power Performance (1W, 10W, 100W, 200W)
DynamicPerf_1-10-100W_GroundPlane.png

On Flint's Patio: Left (Purple), Both (Black), Both measured 10M away in yard (Blue)
Left+Right_Left_Patio_.png

I cannot wait to read your impressions after installing them as they were designed.

I'm dying to get them set up that way, because the shape of the speaker means there really isn't an ideal way to position them in a living room. These things are made to be hung. I will definitely talk more about the sound once I get that accomplished. I just couldn't wait to hook them up and spend more time with them. I have a suspicion that the imaging is going to be a lot better with the speakers installed as designed. It will also be really interesting to see how the acoustics of the space impact things. The amplifier arrives today, so I may even be able to hang them tonight.

I have not been this excited about a pair of speakers in my home since I got the Paradigms in 2001.

I got them set up on the porch yesterday with a 50 watt digital amp with Bluetooth and they sound great. I seem to have sized the amp about perfectly, because it plays as loud as I will ever need out there without being able to play much louder. The important thing is that is plays cleanly.

They sound very dynamic with lots of impact and check off the "big stupid grin" box when I crank them up. That is not what makes them interesting and perfect for the application. What makes them exceptional is how great they sound when I turn them down. I'm not sure I've ever heard a speaker that sounds this good at low volumes. They never lose the ability to produce bass. Even that is not as impressive as the fact that they can do this without sounding boomy when played at much higher volumes.

I wanted a speaker that would sound musical when played low enough that it would not annoy my neighbor on his porch 30 feet away and these speakers are incredibly effective at doing that. They also sound great cranked up loud enough to provide music to my whole backyard if I were to have a party. They need to be mounted in a covered area, but are otherwise the perfect patio speaker in every respect. Flint nailed every requirement I gave him and I could not be more pleased. I plan on enjoying many an evening Scotch on my porch listening to music at reasonable volumes.

I will take some good pictures when the daylight dims and post them.

I need to re-hang my wire clips when it is less humid, but everything else is great. We spent the day staining the deck railings and it was so nice to have great sounding music out there.

Guys, if you want great speakers, call Flint. I've heard all his stuff. I own his stuff. You would be hard pressed to do better elsewhere. Support your local speaker maker. Trust me on this.

I initially used adhesive clips with the speaker wire, but they did not hold and it looked crappy. I think I'm going to run the wires straight up from the speakers and then go under the trim at the top of the wall. I think it would be less obvious.

I was surprised you didn’t tuck the wires in the siding, only because the speakers look great.

I was surprised you didn’t tuck the wires in the siding, only because the speakers look great.

I was having some issues with that and I was anxious to just get the things up and running. Whether I can tuck it into the siding or have to tuck it behind the trim at the top of the siding remains to be seen, but it looks like crap the way it is. The wire clips were only supposed to be a short term fix until I got the other stuff with the porch done, but I will likely just run the new speaker wire next weekend while I'm out there.

We are in the middle of putting the second coat of stain on the railing and spindles, which is brutally time consuming. I'm going to wrap that up and get the first coat on the floor on Saturday, put the second coat on the floor and assemble the new screens on Sunday and hang the new screens on Monday. Then I just need to wait a few more days for everything to fully dry and I can put all the furniture back in there. I expect to have the place up and running by the weekend of August 10-11. This will be the culmination of close to 120 man-hours of work over the course of the summer and I am really looking forward to it.

Back