• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My New setup.... Samsung LED LCD

Doghart said:
I thought you guys were ignoring me over at S&V... :( :text-imnewhere:

What's S&V? :eusa-whistle:

Nah, we're just to busy patting each other on the back over here!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Glad you like the new set. Sounds awesome!

I'll eventually post some pics in "my setup" thread...

Here's the new addition:

(won't let me post the image, too large...??) - Dog, for anything larger than 800x1200, you'll need to attach it as opposed to linking to it. - Zing

Doghart said:
(won't let me post the image, too large...??)

Yeah, gotta be <800x1200 to use

I almost got the 47" version, ended up with an LG as it didn't have the glossy screen, and I got too many windows.

Beautiful setup!

To make a long story short:

I spent quite a bit of time dialing in the Samsung and getting PQ damn near perfect. Took me a while to figure out what settings to adjust to remove that damn god awful "Soap Opera Effect" these LED LCD's seem to suffer from. Just when I thought I was happy as Pie (and ice cream!) a friend calls and tells me that the Panasonic VT25 58" is on sale for almost $1k lower than when I was originally looking at sets a few weeks ago.

Well the Sammy went back tonight.

I pick up my new Kuro... ahem... I mean Panasonic 58" 3D Plasma tomorrow morning!

YAY!

Wow, that was a quick turnaround!

Whenever I buy something, anything, I quit reading forums and magazines for a year, because there's ALWAYS something better that comes out the next day!

Botch said:
Wow, that was a quick turnaround!

Whenever I buy something, anything, I quit reading forums and magazines for a year, because there's ALWAYS something better that comes out the next day!

I originally wanted the 58" Panny, but couldn't justify it financially. I looked at the 54", but went with the Samsung instead. With the price drop I was all over it! BB apparantly had low sales over the holiday weekend and wants the sets gone. I noticed the BB website is still listing the set at $3399. I paid almost $500 less than that.

BB having the 45 day return/exchange policy made it EASY. I probably could have save another $100 via the web, but there's no way returning a set that size & weight would be worth it.

D

Sweet! If I were buying a TV today that would be the one I'd buy. I'm insanely jealous.

I was going to ask some questions about that Samsung...well, nevermind.
Keep us informed on the Panasonic.......

I'll start a new thread for the Panasonic, it deserves it.

As far as the Samsung goes, if my max budget was just under $2k, I would still have that set. Quite honestly the PQ on that set was a hair better than the Panasonic. It did have some refresh rate issues, noticeable only when viewing certain content ant specific times, but nothing I couldn't live with. Weighed in at 44lbs and I was able to wall mount it myself. Pulled almost no electricity and the screen, although glossy, was nowhere near as reflective as the Panasonic.

Overall the Samsung was an excellent set and there are some things about it I miss, but this Panasonic is a better set overall.

D

Let me get this straight. The Samsung had better overall picture quality, a less reflective screen, was more energy efficient, and was easier to mount... but the Panasonic is the better set.

Please elaborate.

Towen7 said:
Let me get this straight. The Samsung had better overall picture quality, a less reflective screen, was more energy efficient, and was easier to mount... but the Panasonic is the better set.

Please elaborate.
:laughing-rolling: :text-goodpost:

'Splain yourself Ricky!

This is going to be really hard to describe without visual aids... :teasing-tease:

While the Samsung had a "clearer" picture, the picture looked "fake". I didn't feel like I was watching a film or tv show, it was like watching the rough edits... even after making adjustments to the set to reduce the effect ( known widely as the "Soap Opera Effect") it was always slightly noticeable.
Hard to put into words, and almost all LED LCD's have this issue. I had the set for 2 weeks and still spent a lot of time watching the TV and not watching what was on TV, make sense? Probably not.

Watching movies like Transformers or District 9, it was obvious the the the CGI was added in, making the movies hard to get absorbed into.

It also had some issue with detail in light scenes, and whites were "over white". I also had some stutter with the 120hz refresh. Mostly when reproducing 480 source material. Yes, about 30-40% of my viewing is SD 480i/p).

Mostly a personal preference thing for me I guess.

So there ya have it. :teasing-neener:

I need to spend quite a bit more time with the Panny to make fair comparison, but it's like apples/oranges.

D

I remember last year while visiting Atlanta for CEDIA, Tee took us to BB to check out the two display Samsungs which were both LED, but one was ISF calibrated and one was not. I actually preferred the non-calibrated set because the calibration seemed to enhance the unnatural look of the image on the screen (coincidentally TF2). But overall I would not have purchased either based on the image. I will say that, due to the perceived depth in the image, this was the closest to a 3D image I have seen on a non-3D display. But I see where you're coming from D and agree completely.

Back