• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My new travel companion: JBL Charge

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I haven't written about this before because I wanted to use it for some time before I formed a real opinion. A few months ago I stumbled on a killer deal on Amazon for a Blue & White JBL Charge portable bluetooth speaker.

Here's the JBL site for it:
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/produc ... atchtype=e

And here's a photo of the model I got:
SDL932472246_1389333701_image1-6d3a0.jpg

Review:
I've been carrying the JBL Charge in my suitcase on about 10 business trips and one vacation trip and I can say I absolutely love this thing. Not only does it sound very decent (much better than its size would suggest), but the addition of a high capacity 6000mAh battery for powering my phone while listening or just recharging it when I need to is a huge benefit.

When I was in Singapore and there was virtually nothing to watch on TV in my motel room, I would turn on the speaker and listen to my extensive music collection from my phone while I worked, got ready in the morning, or relaxed with a drink looking out me window at the gorgeous Singaporean skyline. It was great! Likewise, on domestic trips when I get up in the morning I can listen to my local Austin radio station(s) while showering and getting ready for the day, which gives me a sense of home despite being thousands of miles away. I love it.

At home I've used it as well in the garage, porch, and yard. I find it easier than moving things around to hear music and since I prefer my music collection over a radio, I get exactly what I want.

The huge battery ensures more playing time than I really need, and when I am listening I often plug in my phone so it doesn't drain the battery. I just have to remember charge the speaker after I use it, which isn't hard since I also have to charge my phones, tablet, expansion batteries, and such already. In my hotel room I have five outputs on my USB charger and I use every one every night. So, the ritual is set for me.

Sound quality? Well, it is very good and plays loud enough I can hear the music or radio station while in the shower if I put the speaker on the bathroom counter. To enhance the bass at lower listening levels, I place the speaker right in the corner of the room, but at louder levels that isn't necessary and the speaker can sound a little boomy (ah... good ol' Fletcher & Munsen). While I would enjoy a little more volume from time to time, I think it is damned good for a device I can put in my computer bag and not use up all the extra space. The sound is balanced and very well defined, considering. Most of the other bluetooth speakers I've heard in this price range ($120 - $180) are not as clear sounding, but some are stronger in the bass. I'd prefer the clearest, most natural midrange over a strong bass sound, so this is the perfect speaker for me. Not that the bass is deficient! The bass is very well presented and balanced with the overall tone of the speaker.

In general? I love it. Even at the current street price of as little as $130 (depending on the color) it is a steal. I think it competes very well against any portable speaker I've seen or heard selling for as much at $200.

Complaints?

I have two complaints -

1) Device specific: It doesn't handle two BlueTooth connections well. I have two phones and one tablet I like to use with this speaker, but it really only handles one connection, so I have to re-pair the speaker every time I switch to a different device. This process is very familiar now, so I can do it, but I'd prefer not to.

2) Bluetooth tech: The volume is controlled by both the playback device and the volume control on the top of the speakers. I was under the impression that once paired the volume control on the speaker was actually controlling the volume on the device, but that isn't the case. So, I have to turn up the device all the way (and on my Samsung phones that means accepting a warning notification about listening at loud levels and ear damage - another damned step) before I get full volume limits for the speaker. Stupid, in my opinion.

Thanks for the review. All of my BT audio devices use the volume control on the phone/tablet as well as the ones on the speaker themselves. IMO it's a good thing because I like to be able to control the volume from both/either spot. That said none of my phones, tablets, or computers give me a warning screen. So that "damned step" isn't a problem for me.

Thanks again for the review.

Great review... as expected.

Have you tried any other similar portable speaker options?

My wife got something similar from her workplace -- a much cheaper type. I'm sure the JBL unit blows the doors off it, but I was still fairly impressed that it sounded even decent.

This is one area where innovations are occurring with every new product launch as it is a high volume market which has yet to be saturated.

I have heard many other speakers, such as the Beats, Monster, Polk, Sony, Klipsch, and strange generic-like brands. In my experience, the Sony is the best sounding, but the JBL offers the best balance of sound, cost, and features for a guy like me.

I am impressed with the performance of the HDMX Audio Jam product line for the cost, but they don't compare the these higher end systems selling in the $100 to $200 range. Most of the speakers selling for less than $100 are sad sounding or have terrible battery life.

While I've been using the JBL Charge for 8 months in hotel rooms and on my back patio to have ambient music while I do other things, this week I've been in an AirBNB room in a house in Arlington, VA, and relying on the Bluetooth speaker for all my entertainment in the room as I don't feel comfortable using the living room to watch TV or listen to music at more reasonable listening levels.

Here's what I love - the Charge sounds amazing if I am sitting about 2 feet from it on my little working desk with my tablet in front of me. In fact, right now I am listening to my phone's music library on Random over the portable speaker as I type this. It sounds great. The sound is full, clear, and very enjoyable.

But, since there are other people renting rooms in this house, I am very conscious of the noise I am making. I don't want any complaints to the owner of this house. Well, since the speaker is small, as soon as I walk across the room, the sound is weak and tinny, and if I step out of the room and close the door, you can hardly tell there is music playing at all. The physics of acoustics for this little speaker are amazing - up close the sound is amazing, at a distance it is nearly silent. Love it. And since it has a huge battery, I can move it around without a wire and place it right in front of me wherever I am and get great sound without bothering other people.

Nice!

I still strongly recommend this little Bluetooth speaker.

Nice.

I have a little Jabra Soulmate Mini... it's better than it has any right to be given it will fit in your hand and it only cost me $50 from woot. These little things do indeed make decent travel pals.

Just one question- have you thought about, maybe, thirty of those JBLs? It just reminded me of something for some reason.

I have the Jam Plus, not too bad for what it is. I also use it with a bit of EQ from my app I use Player Pro.
The real nice thing is you can pair it with another one for true stereo. But you can only do it with the Plus and not the original.

http://www.amazon.com/Plus-Portable-Spe ... B00BYRPPHQ

jam_plus_in_package_purple_1.jpg

This could turn into a interesting thread. I have heard the one Flint has, it does sound pretty dang good. With the EQ I can get mine sounding dang near as good. I wold have to do a side by side, with out the EQ I don't think it close with one speaker.

We have the Klipsch KMC-1, which is great! I was able to snag it in a Groupon for $99, which I feel is a great price point for this product. The sound is nice and full, for its small size. It is larger than the JBL Charge and quite a bit heavier. If you can find one for the same price point, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

51fvg9O2WTL.jpg

Back