• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Next Project: Bose 301 Refurb!

• Thread starter Deleted member 133
  • Start date
I had a bit of time yesterday to put together the tweeter section frames for the new grills. It's a little trickier than the woofer section's, so I figured I'd tackle it first.

It's designed to be a force fit - fitting snugly into place. (However some Velcro tabs might still be needed - we'll see.) I'll need to do some sanding to get everything to line up just right, and to allow a bit more clearance in order to accommodate the fabric. They'll be painted flat black before the fabric goes on. Like the original foam colours, the tweeter section will done in chocolate brown and the woofer section in black.

P1110033 (Medium).JPG

P1110031 (Medium).JPG

I'm not too concerned (sonically) about having the dowel running in front of the tweeter - heck its already got a paddle/vane there. But I figured it was the easiest (and ultimately best-looking) way to be able to install the fabric.

Jeff

Jeff

Back from a vacation I've now started to play around again with this project.

Finished the frame for the grills and painted them black.

P1280045 (Medium).JPG

P1280046 (Medium).JPG

While I was away the shop finished refurbishing the two woofers (new rubber surrounds.)

P1280047 (Medium).JPG

Next up is cutting and installing the cloth over the frames: dark brown on the tweeter section and black on the woofer's. (That's the original Bose colour scheme.)

Jeff

I'm speechless, utterly speechless.
I accept your awe!

Well I had time to finish things today.

Re-installed the refurbished woofers and covered and installed their grills. The tolerances on the grills were chosen so that they fit loosely when just bare wood, but very snugly once covered with fabric. Snug enough to require some gentle prodding.

P1290050 (Medium).JPG

Then it was the tweeter grills turn. Again, it was a perfectly tight fit.

P1290065 (Small).JPG

To answer Razz' question: lemon Pledge. Just buffed the "wood" and that's it. Grills hide the ugly bits.

Using the thin wood dowel across the top worked really well; it allowed me to stretch the fabric nicely across the perpendicular surfaces.

While the grills are removable, I probably never will; with the snug fit the idea is to just leave them in place.

I'm going to box them up for now and when I can clear some space in one of the spare bedrooms upstairs I will reconstitute my teen-years' stereo "hi-fi" system by hooking them up to a Pioneer SX-750 receiver, with Pioneer PL-510 turntable (and ADC XLM Improved Mk II cartridge) and Akai GXC-325D cassette deck. Again: purely for nostalgia sake.

Jeff

Back