• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Onkyo TXNR809 no audio.

Doghart

Wife and I were going to watch a movie last night and I had no audio coming from the BR player. Picture was there, just no audio.
Fiddled with the receiver a bit and then finally connected the BR player directly to the TV and that worked.

So, a quick google search shows me this is a common issue and WAS covered under warranty, which I no longer have :evil:
I bought the receiver from Amazon back in late 2011.

I contacted Onkyo today via email about getting it repaired. I think I'm going to put a $250 cap on any shipping/repairs. Anything higher than that I will just put towards something new.

I'll see how Onkyo handles this before considering another one of their products.

D

That sux. "Common issues" with a receiver on the high-end of Onkyo's line is pretty disappointing. I know too many people that have had one problem or another with Onkyo products for me to consider buying another (I had to have my PRSC885 fixed) or recommend anymore.

I've posted this link before. HDMI sound/picture problems are sometimes caused by bad caps on the HDMI board. This applies to many of Onkyo's receiver models manufactured a few years ago. If you want to try a DIY repair, for $20 or less you can replace the caps with higher temp rated ones. The link is to a loooong forum thread on the subject. You could search it for your particular model #.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1246078/h...terboard-repair-for-dummies/540#post_22333584

A bad HDMI board is a common problem with the 809. You can call their 800 number and talk to parts&service ( I think it is option 4) to find out the cost and if the boards are in stock. DIY will be the cheapest route.

I emailed Onkyo and actually got a reply.
I got a reply, from a real person, on a Sunday afternoon... still shocked!

Anyhow, he asked for a copy of my receipt and the serial number. Looks like this might have been part of a recall, might get a free fix!! That would be awesome.

This is the first and only Onkyo product I have ever purchased.

D

Covered! :music-rockout:

I dropped it off at the repair center Thursday evening. I'll be out of town for a bit so I should have it back in a couple of weeks.

*phew* :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

D

I had this issue with my 805 and sent it in when still under warranty then it happened again. Only HDMI port 1 though. I would just have to unplug and plug the HDMI back in to get it work. I bought it new in 05' for 600.00 and last year after I bought Bats Marantz preamp I sold the 805 to a Dr. who wanted an office system for 500.00 told him about the one bad port but it still had two good ones so he still bought it since he only needed two. Not bad I thought used it for eight years and only took a hundred dollar depreciation and the five hundred covered most of the cost of the preamp.

Let's be honest. That doctor way overpaid for an eight year old refurbed receiver with faulty ports. But I guess there's one born every minute.

Towen7 said:
Let's be honest. That doctor way overpaid for an eight year old refurbed receiver with faulty ports. But I guess there's one born every minute.
And his patients......? :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

Actually I only charged him 200.00 for the Onkyo and he gave me 300.00 for the install of his gear and hooking up his LED and programming his remote. Also gave him about 5,000 songs of Jazz that he's a fan of on his Apple account I also set up for him. So he got the better end of the deal and over the years I've installed and took apart so many of his systems that at this point I think he buys electronics so he has a guy to chat with for hours in his house filled with woman.

He once tried to pay me 100.00 to hook up a DVD player that took me two minutes. I told him I couldn't take his money for such a simple install job so we agreed he'd make a donation to the Juvenile Diabetes Assoc. In my name as compensation.

He also has me on speed dial when he has any issues or advice about new gear.

Well.... Thats a far different scenario than saying that your 8 year old, defective, refurbed receiver only depreciated by $100.

Not really because I told him I would hook everything up for free. I said 200.00 but after everything was hooked up he gave me 500.00. Which I used to pay off Bats Preamp I bought at the gtg. So I bought the Onkyo for 600.00 got paid 500.00 (my time was free and I never asked for more than 200.00) so when I got the 500.00 I took it as a sold item for 500.00. He's a brilliant GI doctor and actually did my colonoscopy at no charge. I told him before the procedure that over the years I've installed a lot of cable and he was about to return the favor. I actually called him two months after the procedure about not getting a bill for the procedure and his response was "What procedure Matt I don't recall ever doing one on you wink-wink).

I actually met him 16 years ago when I was working Pathology and he would always call me about his biopsies and one day we got to talking about home theater and I've been installing systems for him and his family ever since.

My point is simply that the average selling price of an 8 year old refurbished receiver with a defective HDMI port is not anywhere close to $500. That receiver was not worth $500. I'm thrilled that your doctor friend overpaid but ... c'mon ... that experience isn't typical. YOU Certainly wouldn't have paid $500 for that receiver in that condition.

Back in the late 90s I bought an '88 Pontiac Fiero for $1,200. I pulled out the V6 engine with 120,000 miles and installed a Chevy V8 crate motor. That required a custom subframe. I also upgraded the transmission to Tremec 5 speed, added Koni coil-over shocks, upgraded the brake system, replaced the entire dashboard, and swapped the torn cloth seat covers with leather. I sold that car for $5,700. So, from now on when people say that Fieros are junk, I'll say they are great cars and as evidence point out that mine actually appreciated more than 5X.

MatthewB said:
He's a brilliant GI doctor and actually did my colonoscopy at no charge. I told him before the procedure that over the years I've installed a lot of cable and he was about to return the favor. I actually called him two months after the procedure about not getting a bill for the procedure and his response was "What procedure Matt I don't recall ever doing one on you wink-wink).

I was going to say it would worry me that he would be willing to shove stuff up your rear for free (I'm not surprised his subconscious blacked that out), but then it occurred to me that it might be even worse for those who willingly pay to have it done. :scared-eek:

Towen7 said:
I pulled out the V6 engine with 120,000 miles and installed a Chevy V8 crate motor. That required a custom subframe.

:shock: AA Understatement of the Year! :shock:

Pics, Tom? That must've been quite a project; iirc, the V6 had to have its mounting bolts loosened just to get at the oil filter. :eek:

Back