• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My OTA Puzzle, Solved!

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I've whined before about being able to get OTA TV years ago, and then ten years or so ago, one by one the channels started going out, and I ended up having to go to Dish, and then paid YouTubeTV, just to get the local channels.
I got an email from my Credit Union Friday morning, they had some suspect purchases on my CC, and yeah I did not make a walmart purchase in Georgia for $200-something dollars. They zapped my CC, and said I'd be getting a new one in 7-10 days. Got an email Friday afternoon from YTTV, my CC had been rejected; I replied back, told the story, said I'd have the new CC in 7-10 days, could they float me until then? At noon today I lost YTTV, so I guess No Floating.
On a whim I turned off the Apple TV, and set my TV input to the old antenna, and... I'm getting ALL OTA channels now, clear as a bell!!
Now I had to know, so I called a coworker at HAFB who told over my MILCON job when I retired, and asked about the F-22 Radar Test facility, which was a 10-story yuge building that was lined on the inside with RAM (radar-absorbing material) cones, and that building was almost dead-in-between my roof antenna, and the broadcast antennas across the lake on the top of the Oquirrh Mountains. I asked him if it was still in use; the building was repurposed and all the RAM material taken off the walls; that's why I have OTA signal again!

Now, I have a decision to make. My favorite feature with YouTubeTV is its unlimited DVR; I record my news shows and then start watching them after they're mostly broadcast (ie start watching the 6 o'clock news at 6:30) so that I can skip over the commercials "Siri, skip ahead 4 minutes"; I despise commercials, especially during an election year, and YTTV allows me to do that. But is that worth $75 a month? I dunno, but I have 7-10, er, 6-9 days to think about it. I'm also discovering some "Google TV" channels that appear on my TV, they must be streaming directly into the smart portion of my TV, will see what's all there.
I'm still amazed that that test facility was able to cancel out my OTA signal, but its gone now. :thumbsup:

Radar1.jpg

Radar2.jpeg

Wow that's wild that a single building, even a big one like that with its special purpose, could make such a huge difference.

It is; in fact I still have trouble believing that was the case, but watching my channels disappear, one by one, over the period of a year, the same year that building was being finished, and now having ALL my ota channels back when the RAM was removed, its really hard to imagine what else it could've been.

I was gonna guess aliens. But still fascinating about the radar absorbing stuff ruining your OTA. That said…. My recommendation is to just pay for YTTV.

OR (but say it long and drawn out… like “oooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr”)

You could do what I do and get addicted to watching Lauren Tewes on old episodes of The Love Boat for free on the Pluto TV app.

...My recommendation is to just pay for YTTV.
Tonight is now my second night of just watching OTA content, and I must reiterate: gawd I hate commercials!! I really loved being able to watch a news broadcast and skip all the commercials; right now I'm muting the TV but it's irritating as hell. I also miss pausing when I had to use the restroom or refresh my iced tea, or go back 15 seconds w/"What did he just say?!" But again, is that worth $75/mo? I've already dropped amazon prime, and thinking about Apple TV, and...
While a bit kludgy, the SwizzTube app (from the App Store) does allow me to watch youtube sans commercials, so I'm good with that.

Did I mention that I can't stand commercials?

Last edited:
While a bit kludgy, the SwizzTube app (from the App Store) does allow me to watch youtube sans commercials, so I'm good with that.

Did I mention that I can't stand commercials?

Some videos on YouTube are just a collection of old TV commercials. Bet that SwizzTube app gets really confused when you play one of those!

I can't stand it. I just can't stand it.

It hasn't been three days, three days, and now my TV is saying "There is no antenna connected", and I'm not getting ANY of the channels I was previously. I haven't changed anything. I've gotta be the most cursed audiophile in the United States, nothing works like it should. Nothing!

And to top it all off? As mentioned in my OP, my credit card got canceled. In the last two days I've received three emails from my CU, asking me to activate my new card, they had to refuse payments on it three times already; I haven't even received the card yet!!!!!!!! Has it effin' been compromised ALREADY?!?!? I called them and my CU is sending yet another new card, another 7-10 day wait. I can't stand it. Eff me.

That sucks.

I bet its the aliens. They’ve come to swipe your card. And in the process f**k up your TV again.

I can't stand it. I just can't stand it.

It hasn't been three days, three days, and now my TV is saying "There is no antenna connected", and I'm not getting ANY of the channels I was previously. I haven't changed anything. I've gotta be the most cursed audiophile in the United States, nothing works like it should. Nothing!

And to top it all off? As mentioned in my OP, my credit card got canceled. In the last two days I've received three emails from my CU, asking me to activate my new card, they had to refuse payments on it three times already; I haven't even received the card yet!!!!!!!! Has it effin' been compromised ALREADY?!?!? I called them and my CU is sending yet another new card, another 7-10 day wait. I can't stand it. Eff me.
That SUCKS!

Refused payment on a card that hasn't even been received yet?
Did it get stolen en route? That's insane.

They did some digging and just sent me an email this morning, and I called them about it; my CC number changed internally on my account with the CU, so when my old card was not authorized to make a monthly payment, it was reported to me with the new CC #. I then explained to him that, the way the emails were worded, it sounded to me like purchases were being attempted/declined on my new card, when in fact it was on my old one but reported to me on my new one. He admitted that, yeah, that's not worded very well (I followed up with a written survey afterwords and tried to explain everything clearly, a skill I'm losing with the years). Aaand I just got my new card in the mail today.

But here's the new thing that has me almost as... unsettled: I went to my Apple account and added the new card info, and deleted the old one. Then I did the same thing to my Patreon account. Then I went to my Amazon account to do the same, but they were already listing my new CC number! (payment was rejected because the card hadn't been activated yet) So, amazoid knew my new CC # before I did; how does that happen?

Just checked, and after jumping thru a few hoops I have AppleTV and EweTubeTV back. Sure wish I could figure out why my OTA worked for 4 days, then quit altogether....

There are privacy settings that allow info to be shared across certain online accounts. Perhaps CC info is among the shareable data.

Botch, I think you need to stock up on perishables, get off the grid and wrap your entire house in tinfoil!!!:bouncygrin:

Thanks Tom, I‘ll check on that tomorrow.
Another possibility is that if you used an Apple device and entered the new CC number that the number got stored on the device … and when the opportunity to enter it on Amazon’s site that the device recognized it was asking for. CC number and presented you with the option to use the one it had just stored. In other words Amazon didn’t already have it, your device had it and offered to use the stored info to fill out the form presented by Amazon.

Another possibility is that if you used an Apple device and entered the new CC number that the number got stored on the device … and when the opportunity to enter it on Amazon’s site that the device recognized it was asking for. CC number and presented you with the option to use the one it had just stored. In other words Amazon didn’t already have it, your device had it and offered to use the stored info to fill out the form presented by Amazon.
No, not this. Amazon had the full CC number before I even got the card, and I didn't know the full number.

Back