• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My PVR's hardrive has crapped out.

mcad64

I can no longer record on one of my PVR's . I have done a reformat and still no joy in Mudville. I had replaced the hard drive in one of my other PVR's a few years ago so know I can do it and not screw it up!!. Quick question. Can one still get IDE hard drives? If I want to swap out the hard drive it has to be an IDE interface. Otherwise I need to bite the bullet and buy a new PVR.
Thanks,
Mike

Link to New Egg's selection of IDE drives.
Thanks Zing . That was the American site , so I checked it on the Canadian site. Again, I go on and on about this BUT, why is it that the same hard drive on the .com site goes for 29 and the Canadian site sells it for 80. I know our dollar blows chunks right now but ...REALLY???
Anywho, I just have to decide if it is worth it to replace. I suspect the harddrive is probably the only moving part on these things so if I replace it I may get a few more thousand miles out of it?

Thanks Zing . That was the American site , so I checked it on the Canadian site. Again, I go on and on about this BUT, why is it that the same hard drive on the .com site goes for 29 and the Canadian site sells it for 80. I know our dollar blows chunks right now but ...REALLY???
Anywho, I just have to decide if it is worth it to replace. I suspect the harddrive is probably the only moving part on these things so if I replace it I may get a few more thousand miles out of it?
Late to the thread Mike but...

I have three Scientific Atlanta HD8300 PVRs (for Rogers service) and have replaced the hard drive on one of them - and keep one new spare hard drive handy in case another goes. They came with 160GB drives but I've been using the 320GB WD Caviar Blue drive as replacement without issue. The PVR's firmware has no trouble recognizing / formatting / using it after you make the physical swap.

I bought the first from Newegg.ca when one PVR crapped out. It cost $114.17C all-in delivered. That was in March of 2013.

Two months later I bought one from amazon.com - had it delivered to Bats' place in time for the 2013 GTG. That one cost me $75.23Us delivered - and is the one I keep as a spare.

Here's a link to the same one currently selling on Amazon.com. Looks like the best new price is $80US.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RO3BPA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a well-priced ($74C) one through Newegg.ca...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA403RB8499&cm_re=WD_Blue_320_GB_Desktop_Hard_Drive:_3.5_Inch,_7200_RPM,_PATA,_8_MB_Cache_-_WD3200AAJB-_-9SIAA403RB8499-_-Product

Since I plan to keep two of these 2005-era machines running for many more years I'll probably buy another hard drive some time to have as an additional spare. I would expect WD to keep making these drives for quite some time to come, but having a couple of spares handy would give peace of mind...

Jeff

Update: Just ordered one this morning through Newegg.ca. All-in delivered: $83.55C

Last edited by a moderator:
Late to the thread Mike but...

I have three Scientific Atlanta HD8300 PVRs (for Rogers service) and have replaced the hard drive on one of them - and keep one new spare hard drive handy in case another goes. They came with 160GB drives but I've been using the 320GB WD Caviar Blue drive as replacement without issue. The PVR's firmware has no trouble recognizing / formatting / using it after you make the physical swap.

I bought the first from Newegg.ca when one PVR crapped out. It cost $114.17C all-in delivered. That was in March of 2013.

Two months later I bought one from amazon.com - had it delivered to Bats' place in time for the 2013 GTG. That one cost me $75.23Us delivered - and is the one I keep as a spare.

Here's a link to the same one currently selling on Amazon.com. Looks like the best new price is $80US.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RO3BPA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a well-priced ($74C) one through Newegg.ca...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA403RB8499&cm_re=WD_Blue_320_GB_Desktop_Hard_Drive:_3.5_Inch,_7200_RPM,_PATA,_8_MB_Cache_-_WD3200AAJB-_-9SIAA403RB8499-_-Product

Since I plan to keep two of these 2005-era machines running for many more years I'll probably buy another hard drive some time to have as an additional spare. I would expect WD to keep making these drives for quite some time to come, but having a couple of spares handy would give peace of mind...

Jeff

Update: Just ordered one this morning through Newegg.ca. All-in delivered: $83.55C

Jeff,
I too have 3 SA HD8300 PVR's through Rogers. I have replaced the hard drive in one already. An easy job with pictures available for step by step procedure on the internet. I just have to find my torx screwdriver or whatever specialty screwdriver it was??!! I was thinking it would be hard to source the drive but clearly as you have pointed out, it is not! I will probably order the one you listed on newegg.
Thanks for the heads up!!

My pleasure Mike!

Jeff

ps. It's a T15 "Security" bit that you need. Crappy Tire sells them in the auto section as "Headlight Screwdriver Bit".

A thought: I wonder if one could find and use a SSD instead of a regular hard drive, in such an application? A quick and dirty search did turn up some PATA/IDE SSDs - but nothing bigger than 128GB. They also seem pricy (per GB) compared to SATA SSDs. But if one could find a big enough one at a decent price, perhaps the longevity alone (compared to a hard drive) mighty make it worthwhile (assuming the PVR would "accept" it).

Thoughts?

Jeff

SSDs have a strange difference when it comes to reliability. Since there are no moving parts, their reliability during their useful life is damn near perfect. However, each memory cell "bit" can only be written to a specific number of times. So, if a SSD is used to write data non-stop, it will eventually start failing spectacularly, because the drive's controller balances the load on all the cells to ensure the longest life. Once any of them start failing, they all start failing at the same time. They also have more physical capacity than available capacity to make up for this issue, so if you write to a 100GB SSD 10,000 times, in reality you only wrote to each memory cell about 8,000 times, or less.

So, in this case... yes, you can use an SSD and get extremely reliable performance for a given period of time, like 2 to 4 years (depending on the amount of writing you do, the drive model, and so on). However, you would want to replace it at the end of the drive's warranty period because you won't see it coming with it starts to fail (unless you don't mind it failing completely out of the blue one day).

SSDs have a strange difference when it comes to reliability. Since there are no moving parts, their reliability during their useful life is damn near perfect. However, each memory cell "bit" can only be written to a specific number of times. So, if a SSD is used to write data non-stop, it will eventually start failing spectacularly, because the drive's controller balances the load on all the cells to ensure the longest life. Once any of them start failing, they all start failing at the same time. They also have more physical capacity than available capacity to make up for this issue, so if you write to a 100GB SSD 10,000 times, in reality you only wrote to each memory cell about 8,000 times, or less.

So, in this case... yes, you can use an SSD and get extremely reliable performance for a given period of time, like 2 to 4 years (depending on the amount of writing you do, the drive model, and so on). However, you would want to replace it at the end of the drive's warranty period because you won't see it coming with it starts to fail (unless you don't mind it failing completely out of the blue one day).

And that, boys and girls, is why I never use SSDs as data drives.

For serious users, like businesses and enterprises, the solution is to use a high end drive monitor the SSD bit failures and once the drive reaches a failure rate where less than 5% of overhead is gone, proactively replace the drive. The loss of data is thus prevented and 100% uptime is assured (except for the period of copying the data to the replacement drive).

I do use SSDs and just put in my calendar to start checking their status when the factory warranty expires.

Thanks for the info / insight!

Prior to replacing my desktop's "C" drive hard drive with an SSD, I did a little bit of reading-up on reliability. It led me to take some steps to ensure that I wasn't reading / writing as much as I would with a hard drive.

I find the following short article, which I've just come across, itself a summary of a research paper's findings, to be very informative.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/

In the proposed PVR application, the "drive" is continuously reading and writing. Way more than in a desktop computer. I'd like to dig into the research paper itself, because I'm not sure about one point that the linked article makes, namely that "SSD age, not usage, affects reliability." That seems to fly in the face of everything I read back when I was buying the SSD for my desktop.

Jeff

I was doing technical solution consulting when SSDs became available and I can assure you it is number of writes per cell that determines the life expectancy.

That said, high end and Enterprise Grade SSDs are designed to handle 100% write load for 3 to 5 years, but they cost much more than your average desktop model and often have more than double the physical capacity as they present to the controller - as in a 1TB drive may have 2.2TB of raw flash storage which is only shown as 1TB to allow for leveling workloads and dealing better with cell failure.

Most SSDs have in their warranty a duty cycle limit, like 3 year warranty assuming 40% write rate.

For serious users, like businesses and enterprises, the solution is to use a high end drive monitor the SSD bit failures and once the drive reaches a failure rate where less than 5% of overhead is gone, proactively replace the drive. The loss of data is thus prevented and 100% uptime is assured (except for the period of copying the data to the replacement drive).

I do use SSDs and just put in my calendar to start checking their status when the factory warranty expires.

Enterprise SAN is an ENTIRELY different conversation.

Well, back to the original subject. Got the WD blue, installed it in about 5 minutes , PVR formatted the drive and it is working like a champ. I am seriously thinking of getting another drive to have as a spare as you mentioned Jeff. Anywho, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Mike

Back