• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My SVS is DOA

Doghart

About a week ago I noticed a lack of bass during some scenes while watching movies. Noticed my SVS was tot running.
I checked the fuse in the amp and it is ok, not sure where to go next?
Will they still repair this older unit, or is it even worth the shipping costs?

D

Assuming the obvious things are okay; that there is power to the sub, the sub is on, and the bass input is high enough to trigger the auto-on function... The only things left are the amp or the wiring between the amp and sub. I'd open her up and check the speaker wires.
I'd be surprised if SVS can't supply a replacement amp.
I suppose the question about it being "worth it" to fix it depends on SVS and/or your desire for an upgrade!

Not to be pedantic (which means I am about to be pedantic), but your subject line says the sub is DOA, meaning it is Dead On Arrival. Your post suggests is was working but now it isn't, which is not the same as DOA. I think you intended to say your sub was dead OR your sub has died.

Just the same, that sucks. SVS has always had great service, as Tom has suggested. I am sure they will help.

As for the worth of shipping costs the only thing you would need to ship is the amp. Should be no need to ship the entire sub off. The only possibility of a problem has to be either in the amp itself or the leads to the driver.

As for the worth of shipping costs the only thing you would need to ship is the amp. Should be no need to ship the entire sub off. The only possibility of a problem has to be either in the amp itself or the leads to the driver.
Or the driver?

It is easy to test the driver. Remove it, disconnect one (or both) of the leads from the amp, then use a AA or 9V battery with some short wire to on the leads to see if the driver moves in or out when you connect the battery to it. Only use a 9V battery on huge high power woofers like those in subwoofers, it could damage a delicate tweeter or small midrange. If the battery doesn't make the cone move out or in, then the driver might be blown.

Yeah i thought the SVS/DOA title thing would be more amusing.... but yeah, it was working, now not so much.

Driver tested good with battery thanks for suggesting that, must be the amp. I'll contact SVS and see if I can send it in for repair.

Not to be pedantic (which means I am about to be pedantic), but your subject line says the sub is DOA, meaning it is Dead On Arrival. Your post suggests is was working but now it isn't, which is not the same as DOA. I think you intended to say your sub was dead OR your sub has died.
It's really more semantic than pedantic.

^^^^
But (and work with me here) if the movie that Doghart was watching when he noticed the sub was not working was The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and if it was during the playing of the song "Silhouettes" by Of Monsters and Men, then it would be... Icelandic.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Jeff

Ummm... wow. Yeah I could see that maybe contributing to the problem.

So....

That was a good catch. Looks like that problem may have been hard to find. :devil:

I take it you didn't actually see flames and smoke ;)

Back