• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My understanding of amplifiers

Randy said:
PaulyT said:
.......ATI used to make an amp that required a dedicated 30 amp circuit......

They still do. I think the 3000 Series (3002-3007) is still in production. I think with the 3007, you have to have a 20 amp circuit as a typical 120V/15A line maxes out at 1800 W. The 3007 pumps out 2100W maxed out.

Where the hell is Yromj when you need him to set you fuckers straight?!?!? :teasing-tease:

Also he's not allowed to participate unless he's wasted! "exactlyIT'SallABOUTStheCURRENTZZZZZZ!!!" :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

Randy said:
PaulyT said:
Yes, we are saying the same thing. I should have just said "the water flow is the current." Right, putting it in writing is the hard part; it all makes sense in my head, but that doesn't mean others will get what I'm saying.

Ok, I often have tried to explain to my buddies that have inquired before making purchases and I am simple folk so I explain it in terms that I can relate to.

I explain it as water flowing through a fire hose. The pressure in the hose is equivalent to voltage (even most fire fighters think pressure is most important, but they are wrong) more to follow. The flow measured in gallons per minute (gpm) in the hose is equivalent to current. And the friction loss in the hose is similar to impedance.

Pressure is important so the fire stream can reach the seat of the fire, but GPM is what puts out the fire (you have to put enough GPM on the fire to overcome the BTU's of heat energy being produced). Friction loss is the loss of potential energy when moving the water through the hose.

So, kinda sorta:

Voltage= Pressure
Current= Flow or GPM
Impedance= Friction Loss

And, Pauly's explanation about trying to keep the water tank full visits water supply, which is similar to the recent "what do you feed your system" thread. ATI used to make an amp that required a dedicated 30 amp circuit.

But, I really prefer the even simpler approach and now look at it like this. Dude from Parasound said wight is good so, at nearly 75 lbs, my ATI 1505 is good. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

The voltage is equivalent to the water pressure, the current is equivalent to the flow rate, and the resistance is like the pipe size.

Rope

Thanks, Randy, Rope. Yeah that's a good analogy too. But Randy your little 1505 has 5 channels in that 75 pounds, so you've only got a wimpy 15 pounds per channel. :eek:bscene-buttred: I kid, my biggest amp is 50W (Parsound HCA-500s which probably weigh 10 pounds :laughing:), though because of the active system each speaker uses two channels of that.

So Rope, what were you working up to with your earlier posts about high impedance loads?

Rope said:
Randy said:
PaulyT said:
Yes, we are saying the same thing. I should have just said "the water flow is the current." Right, putting it in writing is the hard part; it all makes sense in my head, but that doesn't mean others will get what I'm saying.

Ok, I often have tried to explain to my buddies that have inquired before making purchases and I am simple folk so I explain it in terms that I can relate to.

I explain it as water flowing through a fire hose. The pressure in the hose is equivalent to voltage (even most fire fighters think pressure is most important, but they are wrong) more to follow. The flow measured in gallons per minute (gpm) in the hose is equivalent to current. And the friction loss in the hose is similar to impedance.

Pressure is important so the fire stream can reach the seat of the fire, but GPM is what puts out the fire (you have to put enough GPM on the fire to overcome the BTU's of heat energy being produced). Friction loss is the loss of potential energy when moving the water through the hose.

So, kinda sorta:

Voltage= Pressure
Current= Flow or GPM
Impedance= Friction Loss

And, Pauly's explanation about trying to keep the water tank full visits water supply, which is similar to the recent "what do you feed your system" thread. ATI used to make an amp that required a dedicated 30 amp circuit.

But, I really prefer the even simpler approach and now look at it like this. Dude from Parasound said wight is good so, at nearly 75 lbs, my ATI 1505 is good. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

The voltage is equivalent to the water pressure, the current is equivalent to the flow rate, and the resistance is like the pipe size.

Rope

:text-goodpost: That's what I said. :laughing-rolling: Ya, because friction loss is inversely proprtional to pipe diameter. As the diameter goes up the FL goes down, and as the pipe diameter decreases the FL goes up exponentially. Kinda like impedance. LOL.

And, Pauly, since my amp is whimpy, next time I need to move it, I will call you. I honestly can't believe my Bell O' Getti rack doesn't cry for mercy each day.

I know a rack in Houston that broke away from a cabinet due to an ATI Power Amp!!! :scared-eek:

I saw the pictures and I have thought mine would suffer the same fate for years now. LOL.

BTW, I only posted the above posts to fill my quota. Since joining the old S&V forum in around 2000, about once a year I try to post something that makes me sound smart. I was way overdue.

ATI put handles on their amps for a reason, what they did miss is including a hernia belt.

Rope

Back