• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Upcoming Bestseller

We had a crash trip to Florida, seriously just decided to go last Wednesday, and I'm surprised I was able to put a trip together so quickly. The reason for the trip, my daughters on again/off again boyfriend ended his life a week ago last Saturday. It's hurt so many of us because we loved the guy, and I felt we needed to get away from everyday life. The only reason I bring this up, it has given me a chance to start reading Jeff's book. Also, when you book a rental car with orbitz, be sure to open the email and see who you actually rented the car from. You would think, that orbitz would be easily able to tell who they used for the rental, but they can't.

As far as the book goes, I'm about 100 pages in, and find the book very entertaining. The story about your moms eulogy really resonated with me, as my mother rebounded for one last Christmas, only for her to pass in middle January. One of the minor complaints, I wish you would have listed what your age was at the time, especially in your younger years. I kind of knew how old you were, but it wasn't until I read the the story about the Sharon Stone stroke, that I knew exactly how old you were. I think it's great that you took such a leap of faith, not of the Catholic kind mind you after reading the eulogy story, but I hope you sell plenty of books.

Sorry to hear about your daughter's boyfriend Huey. I hope she is doing as well as can be expected.

I'm glad you are enjoying the book. There's now over 150 copies of it out there in circulation and I have been very happy with the feedback that I have been getting. What I like is that people are "consuming" it in all of the ways that I had designed it: randomly flipping between stories; one story at a time; while on a plane or a cruise; during coffee breaks at work; etc. Even had one person simply sit down and read it cover-to-cover in one sitting. It's also interesting to hear which story, or stories, someone closely identifies with - as you have done - and for what reason(s).

The other neat thing is when friends finish the book and then remark "How come you didn't include the one about..." and remind me of a tale I told them years and years ago. At which point I add it to my ever-increasing list of potentials for a sequel.

Jeff

ps. I'm currently in my 57th year. As detailed in this thread, all of the story writing for the book was done two years ago this coming Sept/Oct. As you pieced together with one story, it is sometimes possible to divine my age at the time.

ps. Your mention of "A Son's Duty" reminded me that it's now been just over 5 years since Mom passed away. I'm not sure why I didn't, but here's a photo of her, taken on her graduation from nursing school, that I should have put in the book with that story.

Attachments

• Amelia.JPG
    Amelia.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 129
Your mom is a very pretty lady. I only bring up the age thing, as reading some of your stories, especially the one about where you and your friend almost died trying yo cross to the island to retrieve your friends I'll gotten gains. And I think it's you said you were a freshman, so maybe that's not the best example to use. As in life, some stories are better than others, but they al have their point.

Thanks for the best wishes for my daughter. we all loved him, and hated that he felt this was the only choice. We've been worried about a Romeo and Juliette scenario, hence the quick trip to the south for a change in scenery.

JeffMackwood said:
I'm currently in my 57th year. As detailed in this thread, all of the story writing for the book was done two years ago this coming Sept/Oct. As you pieced together with one story, it is sometimes possible to divine my age at the time.

Gawd I hate Story Problems! :angry-cussingblack:

:happy-smileygiantred:

Had a chance to finish the book on the flight home yesterday. All in all, a pretty entertaining read. Honestly, I thought your liver would give you more problems than your heart since most stories at least have some alcohol in them. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

One question, it seemed that whenever you had a something health related go wrong, when you went to the hospital, they didn't seem to keep you long, or at least that's the way I read it. Is that because your wife is a nurse, or do the socialized health care? Here in the States, you go to the hospital, you usually end up there for a long time before being discharged, in part I'm guessing to soak the insurance company, and also in part to not set themselves up for a malpractice lawsuit.

Huey said:
Here in the States, you go to the hospital, you usually end up there for a long time before being discharged, in part I'm guessing to soak the insurance company, and also in part to not set themselves up for a malpractice lawsuit.

I haven't found that to be the case at all, here in the States.... :think:

I have been enjoying your book, Jeff! Picking stories here and there, rather than reading it from front to back.

Yesterday morning I took some Barbi time to catch up on my iPad and then some reading time. I read your post about your Mom and decided to read A Son's Duty. I enjoyed reading the eulogy you gave for your Mom. I have given two eulogies, the first one was for my Father, the second, was for my Mother. I was so nervous prior to the first one, but when I stood to speak, my nervousness diminished and the words just came out. My Mother's eulogy was even easier. Sharing my luv and memories about two people who meant so much to me and so many others. I got that feeling after reading your words to remember your Mom. Thanks for sharing the picture, what a lovely lady.

Finished mine a few days ago, now the wife's turn. Fun book, Jeff! Great stories... and wow, my life has been ... umm... tame... compared to yours, that's for sure.

But what really clinched it for me was knowing Jeff and his in-person personality; I could hear him narrating most of these tales (and some of them I actually have heard directly on various occasions).

I got half way through on my flight out to California this AM.

Great Job Mr. Mackwood! Hope to finish it up on the way home on Friday!

You have had a very interesting ride.......................

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Huey said:
Had a chance to finish the book on the flight home yesterday. All in all, a pretty entertaining read. Honestly, I thought your liver would give you more problems than your heart since most stories at least have some alcohol in them. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

One question, it seemed that whenever you had a something health related go wrong, when you went to the hospital, they didn't seem to keep you long, or at least that's the way I read it. Is that because your wife is a nurse, or do the socialized health care? Here in the States, you go to the hospital, you usually end up there for a long time before being discharged, in part I'm guessing to soak the insurance company, and also in part to not set themselves up for a malpractice lawsuit.
Other than having to get a chest Xray / diagnosed with pneumonia while once visiting San Fran, I have had no direct experience with US hospitals, so I can't really compare and contrast them with ours.

I can say that the philosophy of getting the patient up, mobile, and out, sooner rather than later, reflects not a cost-driven approach (at least not directly) but rather the fact that it is healthier to do so. Hospitals are a great place to get sick, so the less time you are there the better. Additionally, there are far more potential complications, post surgery, from simply lying around immobile, than there are in getting up and moving as soon as possible.

My heart surgery was "day surgery" - albeit a very long day!

My first stroke had me in ICU for a day or two, and then another few days in recovery, mostly because of the morphine IV. (And let me tell you: it is REALLY easy to get to like your morphine shots. I still get a hungry-for-it feeling just thinking about it now - many years later!)

Jeff

ps. to everyone else for the kind comments: thank you!

I finished the book flying back from California yesterday.

I thought it was great!

The crazy thing is every word I read, was in Mr. Mackwoods voice?

The Pearls brought a tear to my eye..............then again, I'm a sap for that type of stuff!

The "0" - "1"................. :scared-yipes:

Looking forward to Most of These Stories are Somewhat True 2!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Back