• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Upcoming Bestseller

While it'd really piss me off if it happened, I've now finished the book to the point that it could be published posthumously if need be.

Again, I'm not planning on it, but it would be shame if it never was.

Jeff

(For those saying WTF after reading this post, see the other thread in the Health and Fitness section.)

Would you knock this shit off about dying?!?!?! You're Jeff Motherfucking Mackwood for Christ's sake!

You should have this tattooed on your chest:

76119-superman-logo-with-letter-j.jpg

But, since you're almost dead already, could you email a free copy to me?

:teasing-tease:

Yo...Jeff Mackwood...we watched this recently. All is good!!! GO, GO, GO!!!! ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9N0ySDzXtQ[/youtube]

Things are now back on track; perhaps better than previously expected. I'll explain.

I had lunch with my editor today and we pretty much agreed that, except for my need to expand one small section of the book, we both felt it was now pretty much good to go as far as shopping it around for publication. However something else came up that's going to mean holding that next stage back a bit.

Both my editor and I agree that the draft could still benefit from another discerning eye, and from someone who really does not know me well at all and could therefore approach it from a much more dispassionate viewpoint. Well recently I was telling the President of my university alma mater about this book project and she offered to do a review / edit. It's an offer that could not, and should not, be refused. I am now eagerly awaiting her input, and the wait, no matter how long, will be, I'm sure, well worth it.

In the meantime I've started to sketch out the plans for a possible web site / presence for the book, to be used in concert with traditional hard copy sales - especially if I end up self-publishing.

Jeff

That is exciting news Jeff. Thank you so much for letting us see what goes on behind the curtain of getting a book written/published.

While I have never met you Jeff, based on some of the stories here, I am looking forward to reading this book. I hope you get a publisher soon!

JeffMackwood said:
In the meantime I've started to sketch out the plans for a possible web site / presence for the book, to be used in concert with traditional hard copy sales - especially if I end up self-publishing. Jeff

Not that you wouldn't, but please keep posting about this, especially if a web site transpires.

From the beginning of this thread, I have thought about what an exciting adventure this must be, in one's lifetime. :handgestures-thumbup:

Is this university president single? PM me. :eusa-whistle:

Jeff, I've just purchased a book, The 2015 Federal Personnel Handbook, from a company called Lulu. Had a bit of a problem, when I opened the box it contained two copies of When the African Bus Came Down, A Memoir of a Rhodesian Adventure, by Elaine Bosman. The next day I got the right book. After some emails, they told me to keep the two mistakes, no charge, and we settled. It's a "print-on-demand" company and all three books are nicely printed and bound; their website, http://www.lulu.com, has directions to self-publish your book. I haven't looked into what the commitments/money splits are, but it may be an avenue you'd like to look into.
A good friend of mine self-published his debut CD (which is excellent by the way) but he had to buy 1,000 copies at the first pop; he still has quite a few of them. Having them made to-order would be a lot safer way to go.
FWIW.

Botch said:
Is this university president single? PM me. :eusa-whistle:

Jeff, I've just purchased a book, The 2015 Federal Personnel Handbook, from a company called Lulu. Had a bit of a problem, when I opened the box it contained two copies of When the African Bus Came Down, A Memoir of a Rhodesian Adventure, by Elaine Bosman. The next day I got the right book. After some emails, they told me to keep the two mistakes, no charge, and we settled. It's a "print-on-demand" company and all three books are nicely printed and bound; their website, http://www.lulu.com, has directions to self-publish your book. I haven't looked into what the commitments/money splits are, but it may be an avenue you'd like to look into.
A good friend of mine self-published his debut CD (which is excellent by the way) but he had to buy 1,000 copies at the first pop; he still has quite a few of them. Having them made to-order would be a lot safer way to go.
FWIW.
Thanks Botch.

I have looked into a few similar operations - at least two of them being local.

There are quite a number of options - to name but a few: get a traditional publishing deal with a book publishing company; self-publish through that same type of company on different business terms; self-publish / print on demand through large organizations that cater to authors like me; print and promote it myself using the services of a professional book printer (one of which is owned by an ex-neighbour of mine); avoid hardcopy altogether and publish electronically only - either on my own or through an operation that caters to such things; "serialize" the publication electronically - in my case I'm looking at possibly publishing one story a week (for which I have over two years worth of stories!); etc and any combination of the previous.

To date I've only been scratching the publishing surface. As I've mentioned before, I REALLY want to first be very comfortable with the product that I'll be trying to bring to market; I really want to be happy with what I have written before I try to sell it. I'm ever so close to being there right now and I'll soon start exploring / tackling publishing in earnest.

I've got a four hour train ride tomorrow, and the return the next day, and I'll be spending that quality time reading and re-reading the book. I've gone through half of it today and have only found five or six ultra-minor changes that I wanted to make. I suspect that by the end of the weekend I'll have wrought out the last of them.

Of course there might be more work needed when the University President gets back to me.

And there is one section (the "Cast of Characters"), currently a one-pager near the front of the book, that I need to expand by a page or two according to my editor. I'll do that in the next day or three as well.

The only other thing that I need for the book is a cover photo / illustration. While I've populated the inside of the book with a number of my own photos (and one provided by Zing) I'm stuck for what to use. I'm thinking of approaching a photographer friend of mine to see what he might be willing to donate, but that's a bit of a longshot.

Which just gives me a great idea - at least I think it is.

I'm going to post a thread in the photography thread inviting folks to post pics that they feel might make a good cover photo AND which they would agree to give me rights to use, for free, with and in association with the book, in return for photo credit (and all the fame that that entails) only. I'll work on that right now.

Regards.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
I'm thinking of approaching a photographer friend of mine to see what he might be willing to donate, but that's a bit of a longshot.

If you're going Peter North on us, I'm cancelling my order. :teasing-tease:

Botch said:
JeffMackwood said:
I'm thinking of approaching a photographer friend of mine to see what he might be willing to donate, but that's a bit of a longshot.

If you're going Peter North on us, I'm cancelling my order. :teasing-tease:
Close, but... :)

Attachments

• IMG_0855 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0855 (Large).jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 916
order cancelled, leaving the forum, suicide tomorrow morning (AFTER breakfast, I have two eggs left)

:barf:

ANNOUNCEMENT: PUBLISHING DEAL SIGNED!

It's been a while since I updated this thread - but I hope the wait was worth it.

Today I signed a publishing deal with a small local publisher, Petra Books. http://www.petrabooks.ca/

I did quite a bit of research about publishing and Petra's publishing model, as well as them being local, small, and committed to quality, appealed to me.

Publishing a book can basically go two ways: author-paid or publisher-paid. The latter is reserved for those name-brand writers that you see on bookstore shelves and online everywhere. That actually represents a miniscule percentage of the authors out there. The rest take the former route. The author pays the whole cost of getting the book published - but typically keeps all of the royalties (basically revenues less printing, wholesaling, etc. costs.)

Petra's model falls somewhere in between. Without getting into too many specific details (the deal took over a month to negotiate), basically I will be covering a fraction of the costs; they will cover the rest; we will share in any royalties. This is for both the printed and e-version(s) of the book. There is a shared commitment to promoting the book, which will be available through numerous avenues including through Petra.ca, Amazon, etc.

Because they are small, and because they are currently fully-committed with other titles in the works, we've set a target of having the book ready for Xmas 2015 but, practically-speaking, it could be a few months into 2016. I've seen a few of their books currently in production and am hugely-impressed by the attention to detail and care that they put into it. Some books have taken up to two years to get to final print because of numerous iterations needed to get it right. (And no, my cost does not go up depending on the length of time; my cost for production is a fixed amount.) I could have simply taken this to a print shop and had it slapped-out in time for Bats' GTG, but I would not have been happy with the final product.

I have protected the ability to use my book for any and all purposes so, for example, I could take a number of the stories and turn them into a one-man stage play, which I am seriously considering doing.

In addition, I intend to create a book-specific web site and to serialize it: basically I will be releasing one story a week, for over two years until all 107 stories (and perhaps some "bonus" stories) have been posted. This should be up and running when the book is released, and visitors to the site will be free to wait for the two years+ to read all of the stories, or purchase the book immediately should they so desire. There will also be a "crowd-funding" option of sorts as well, where readers can donate any amount they feel appropriate.

At this point the expected retail price of the book will be $20. It will be softcover, and if we end up sticking to our plan for it to be 6" x 9" in size, it should come in around 300 pages.

Anyhow, I'd be happy to share more of the specifics of the process at the next GTG, with anyone who is interested.

And in case I've not said it (enough) before, this whole process has so far been a hugely fun and rewarding experience. Lots of work still to be done; but that's just more fun!

Jeff

My sister has published a book. I will ask her if she has any insight that may be of help to you here.

This is great news!! I can't wait to buy a copy! Congratulations Jeff!

Back