• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need a good surge suppressor

Maximo

For my new gear stuff. Thought? YOu know me and you know my gear and my buying tendancies. thoughts?

Nothing on Craigslist?? ;)

Tripplite would be my choice. I have two small 4 outlet strips I use. Very nice for the price.

Yesfan70 said:
Nothing on Craigslist?? ;)

Tripplite would be my choice. I have two small 4 outlet strips I use. Very nice for the price.

:text-+1:

I have at least 5 tripplite strips. I don't even look at other brands. I had a wiring problem in an outlet a year ago that could have fried the TV, STB and BD player. Tripplite Saved my ass.

I strongly recommend the Tripplite IsoBar products. Top rated, best performing, and actually have noise filtering circuits which work. They area also stunningly affordable compared to all the "audiophile" crap out there.

LCR2400-FRONT-L.jpg

LCR2400-BACK-L.jpg

Rope

I have the HT10DBs in my living room setup and never an issue. That model costs more than the generic looking white Tripplite IsoBar which I've started using in all applications where the strip won't be seen.

Well, I need coax, phone and ethernet protection as well so I think this will be the ticket.

Maximo said:
Well, I need coax, phone and ethernet protection as well so I think this will be the ticket.
I was going to suggest an "all-house" surge protection that I had installed about a year ago for $99 (I guess they're quite popular in lightning-storm-prone areas like Florida) but it doesn't include these other things.

Before I saw the strong preference for TrippLite with you guys on the old forum I ended up buying two mid-level APCs, an UPS model for my computer/studio downstairs, and a non-battery model for my HT upstairs. I've seen/heard the upstairs model spring into action during brownouts, lightning storms, when my refrigerator kicks in, even one Saturday when Hill AFB detonated an errant Mk-82 buried in the sand. It makes clicking sounds and the array of blue lights reconfigure (scientific, ain't I? :roll: ).

Nothing's burned out so far; unfortunately a surge suppressor is not something you can judge in day-to-day use, it has either worked so far or not.

APC is an excellent brand! The reason I always recommend Tripplite is their obvious model numbers and reduced likelihood of getting the wrong thing. APC has too many lines with different outlets selling only small portions of their catalog. Ot is easy to get confused when shopping for the best product from APC. That said, the right products are worth every penny spent on them.

When I was younger and stupid I paid five Benji's for a Monster 3600 surge protector than you guys recommended Tripplite isobars which our hospital has a crapload of laying about, so I liberated a few and installed in my home HT and they work just as well as my 500.00 so just go with the isobars.

We probably all know thi but just in case... Not all Tripplite products use IsoBar filters. I'm not saying you need the filters, just making sure that there isn't any confusion.

Towen7 said:
We probably all know thi but just in case... Not all Tripplite products use IsoBar filters. I'm not saying you need the filters, just making sure that there isn't any confusion.

What's the difference between using IsoBar filters and not?
I will now google, but just asking...

The isobar filters are noise filters on in the device which can dramatically reduce noise on the power line feeding the device plugged into it. For example, an AC motor (like a room fan, refrigerator pump, or hair dryer) or even a Flourescent or LED lightbulb can often generate noise which is fed back into the AC main they are plugged into. Sometimes, under the right conditions, that AC line noise can be heard in the audio from a receiver or other component or be seen as video noise on a TV. By using a power strip with a good noise filter, such as the most effective IsoBar products, that noise is almost completely filtered out and never reaches your sensitive HT gear.

I have been able to measure the residual noise dropping after placing an IsoBar device in my rig.

Power to a home is actually shared from a transformer and there can be several homes on the transformer. So that means the noise on the power line could be from your neihbor and his crazy home!

Back