• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need help with Subwoofer connection

F_L_I_P

Hey all,

im new to xlr balanced connections and need help.
just bought a Outlaw 976 surround processor which is 7.2 capable and has 2 subwoofer XLR outputs (Sub 1 and Sub2).
I also bought the SVS SB-4000 subwoofer which has 2 XLR input connections (Left AND Right).
which subwoofer XLR output connection do i use from the Outlaw 976 and which XLR input connection from the SVS SB-4000 should i connect it to (Left OR Right)?

I dont connect both sub outs (sub1 and sub 2) from the Outlaw 976 to my SVS SB-4000 XLR ins do I (LEFT and RIGHT)?

im used to1 lfe connection.

pre-amp/processor: Outlaw 976
amp: B&K Reference 200.5
Front L/R speakers: Mirage OM-9
Center speaker: Mirage OM C2
Surrounds L/R: Mirage OM R2HB1
Sub SVS SB-4000

Any answers would be appreciated.

Hey @F_L_I_P ! Welcome to our little forum.

I dont connect both sub outs (sub1 and sub 2) from the Outlaw 976 to my SVS SB-4000 XLR ins do I (LEFT and RIGHT)?

Actually I think the answer is yes. Don't know if anyone here owns that specific model (though many of us myself included have SVS subs), but from a brief look at the owner's manual (esp page 7) online, it seems you do connect both channels. That way, if there is different content in the LFE of the two channels, the sub will produce output for both.

Actually ... the subwoofer outputs are labled Sub1 and Sub2 (not L/R and LFE). Furthermore the setup has no provision for seperate configurations for one or two subs, all sub settings apply to both outputs. Therefore each output is a sum of the left and right bass crossovers and the LFE channel.
There is not a single reference in the manual to the LFE and subwoofer outputs being seperate and/or assignable. Aaaannnndddd ... Page 16 suggests using Y adapters to add third and fourth sub...

If your using one subwoofer ... One connection is all you need.

Let’s clarify terms ...
LFE is a discreet channel, as such there is no such thing as L-LFE and R-LFE.
I think we’re confusing LFE with the output below the L and R crossover setting. If your system’s speaker settings are set to “small” all the the frequencies below the crossover for both the Left and Right are summed together, then the LFE frequencies are added to that.

Hey FLIP, Welcome!!

I have owned the Outlaw 975 for a few years now. I am curious how you like the 976?

Also the 976 is NOT a 7.2 processor.
It’s a 7.1 processor that simply splits the subwoofer output inside the chassis. There is only one “subwoofer” channel. You can split that one channel as much as you want (either inside the chassis or outside with Y connectors) ... but it’s still one channel. That’s a key distinction that confuses a lot of people. Take a look at the cover of the owner’s manual.

6A1F389A-AA5F-4592-BBA8-4830F74C12B6.jpeg6A1F389A-AA5F-4592-BBA8-4830F74C12B6.jpeg

Hey @F_L_I_P That way, if there is different content in the LFE of the two channels, the sub will produce output for both.

There is no “LFE of the two channels”. LFE is a discreet channel.
I think what you meant is “if there is different content below the crossover point of the two channels”. But the processor sums the frequencies below the crossover of all ALL channels and combines that with the discreet LFE channel and routes all of it to the subwoofer output(s). There is no difference between “sub1” and “sub2” output.

Ok ok semantics... I should have said "if the signals from the two sub out channels from the processor are actually different." What you're saying is, that they're not, ever.

I want to point out that the answer has nothing to do with the cable(s) being XLR.

An XLR cable does exactly the same task as an RCA cable. One cable send the analog audio of one channel from a device's output to another device's input. That's it. The rules which apply to RCA cables apply identically to XLR cables.

Ok ok semantics... I should have said "if the signals from the two sub out channels from the processor are actually different." What you're saying is, that they're not, ever.

Correct
The Sub1 and Sub2 outputs will always contain the same exact signal.

If you are using the subwoofer out on your receiver, there is no reason to connect more than one cable to the subwoofer. The receiver itself will appropriately aggregate the bass.

awesome everyone!
thanks for clearing up a technical issue that was confusing me. btw i changed my mind and bought dual SVS PB-2000 subs vs just 1 sub (SVS SB-4000). will get all components Friday so should be able to update my thoughts on the new 976 preamp processor and dual subs. my only comparison will be my previous preamp, the B&K Reference 30 (rip) awesome preamp though.

after all the studies on dual subs vs a bigger 1 sub, most think dual subs are better, even if they are 1 level downsize. gimme your thoughts and opinions if you want.

thanks all!!

awesome everyone!
thanks for clearing up a technical issue that was confusing me. btw i changed my mind and bought dual SVS PB-2000 subs vs just 1 sub (SVS SB-4000). will get all components Friday so should be able to update my thoughts on the new 976 preamp processor and dual subs. my only comparison will be my previous preamp, the B&K Reference 30 (rip) awesome preamp though.

after all the studies on dual subs vs a bigger 1 sub, most think dual subs are better, even if they are 1 level downsize. gimme your thoughts and opinions if you want.

thanks all!!
Positioning of the two is key. I will defer to those that have 2 subs

I think the consensus here will be that dual subs gives you more flexibility - by placement alone - to even out the in-room response. But as someone who only has a single sub, I'm not the expert here...

I am one of those who believes that when budget is an issue, one better sub is almost always better than two lesser subs. I'd much rather have one great sub that costs $1,500 than two good subs which cost $750 each.

On the other hand, if you don't have a budget constraint, two subs properly placed, and placement is absolutely critical to my opinion on this, then two outstanding subs can be better than just one - but only because of the benefits of placement. It has nothing to do with peak output or distortion or low end extension. If you can place two subwoofers perfectly to reduce room modes, then you can achieve a smoother response and slightly less ringing in the room.

One caveat, if there is an option to install significant amounts bass trapping instead of a second subwoofer, I would do that first. Controlling the acoustic energy in the room will deliver far more benefit to the tightness, decay, mode issues, and ringing than going with a second subwoofer.

If one can get two amazing subs AND install loads of effective bass trapping, then all the best will come.

As to my comments on subwoofer above, I should point out that my expectation is the most natural, accurate, and realistic bass performance for very high quality recordings with balanced bass. If the goal is to just shake the room as much as possible without regard for realism or accuracy, nothing I said serves any purpose at all.

In my ideal room, the listener would not know definitively that the subwoofer was being used, only that the music extended deep to the lowest possible octaves and percussion and effects sound realistic and whole without obvious enhancement or excitation.

i changed my mind and bought dual SVS PB-2000 subs
Welcome, Flip. Glad to have you here.

Properly setting up two subs is a colossal pain in the ass and a very tedious process. When your toys arrive, let us know if you need any help. Plenty of folks around here that can give you the step-by-step instructions for dialing in both subs.

thanks all,

Update:
just got my dual subs but now waiting for my pre-amp / processor. the waiting is killing me. =(
Yeah, since this is my first sub I'm sure I'll be asking for help on configuration and dialing them in.

Back