• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix and 4K

Huey

Famous
I did a little searching yesterday at AVS, specifically about my tv and audio issue it is still having. Kind of glad I did as I had forgotten the best input on the tv was HDMI 1. Someone also was talking about Planet Earth II being 4K on Netflix.

Sure enough, when I pulled up Netflix in my browser, I think it said HDR or something that would lead me to believe that it was a 4K show. Get home last night and after dinner I told the wife I wanted to check it out. Do a search for it, find it, but no where did it say anything about 4K, unless I over looked it. About 2 minutes into it, and the wife is remarking on the picture and to not turn it because it looked so good. This is why I bought a 4K tv. Holy Shite the picture was amazing! Plus the content was really good as well, but that was to be expected.

Anybody know how to find 4K movies on Netflix? There is a preview bar for 4K, but it's mostly their shows with a few other series as well. I'm not sure why Netflix isn't more upfront with their offerings. I'm paying $4 extra a month, which is peanuts, but it is a 40% premium over their standard service, which isn't peanuts.

“Ultra HD” ? It’s been a while since I’ve done a 4k search on Netflix as I had to use the built in app on my TV(s). Maybe something has changed but it used to be I’d just type in 4k and a pretty good selection of Netflix original series and movies would come up on the right side of the screen.

I'll check again when I get home, but I'm 99% sure I typed 4K in the search and nothing came up. There is a preview bar, like they have for comedies, recently watched, etc, for 4K, but it is mostly Netflix originals, with a couple of other shows and a couple of movies. And then Planet Earth II, at least on the Netflix app on the Sony player, did not show anything about being 4K, but it obviously was after watching a few episodes. And also, I don't get the 4K preview bar on my Roku, so Netflix must know my Sony will stream 4K, and the Roku will not.

Ok, so I do get shows that show up when I type 4K in the search bar, but it is the same list as preview bar on the main screen. Again, just pretty much Netflix originals. Somebody over at AVS said Planet Earth II was 4K, and I don't see anywhere where it says it's 4K, but watching it I would swear it's 4K as it is just a stunning picture. I did switch back and forth from the Roku vs the Sony, and the Sony did have a nicer picture than the Roku, but maybe that's just the upconversion. Anybody know if Planet Earth II is 4K on Netflix?

DE353437-AFB4-48B8-96C0-142705D1AB91.jpeg

press the * button while in the Netflix menu. When you start playing content you should see details of the stream in the upper corner.

When I type in “4K” I get over 240 options to choose from. I just began selecting different titles at random and then Planet Earth II, with the exception of PEII, all the ones I chose were tagged with “Ultra HD 4K” in a little box right under the title. I probably looked at ~10% of the titles.

When I type in “4K” I get over 240 options to choose from. I just began selecting different titles at random and then Planet Earth II, with the exception of PEII, all the ones I chose were tagged with “Ultra HD 4K” in a little box right under the title. I probably looked at ~10% of the titles.
I probably only get about 60 choices, with 90% of that being Netflix originals. Does Planet Earth II show up in the 4K titles, but just isn't listed as 4K for you?
When I first knew I was going to get a 4K tv, and before I had purchased anything that would even play a 4K title, I went to upgrade my account from the standard $9.99 a month to the 4K $13.99 a month package, but the strange thing is, it was already changed. I am getting billed $13.99 a month, but maybe it's a glitch on their end, and I truly don't have the 4K package. I'll have to contact Netflix.

Amazon has a ton of content in 4K and HDR, and they also know what Netflix, Hulu, andd HBO have in those resolutions. My Fire TV units have a bar of recommendations from across my subscribed services which are 4K & HDR.

I've been watching The Crown in 4K with my mom and she is blown away. There are some scene where it truly is like looking through a window.

Yes Planet Earth showed up in the 4K grouping, just doesn’t specifically say Ultra HD 4K like the others.

Yes Planet Earth showed up in the 4K grouping, just doesn’t specifically say Ultra HD 4K like the others.

So chatting with Netflix, and she sent me a link to their 4K titles, and most of them do not show up when I do a search for 4K. She says it's probably the players fault for not showing all of the titles. Who else here has the Sony X800 and is streaming Netflix 4K? She suggested signing out and back in, and I'll try that, and hopefully it works. BTW, even though we were doing this over their messaging feature, you could still tell that English isn't her first language, if she's even a girl.

And now she says since they show up on my computer, I should just add them to my list so I know which ones are 4K titles. Netflix wasn't very helpful on this.

Well I just confirmed that Planet Earth is def a 4K stream despite not being tagged for 4K.

Well I just confirmed that Planet Earth is def a 4K stream despite not being tagged for 4K.
Just curious as to how you confirmed it? After watching a few episodes, I would have a hard time believing it wasn't 4K, and was hoping somebody could confirm it.

I can only stream the 4k content thru the built in app in my TV, there’s an info button on the remote and it displays the info in the upper left corner. It doesn’t display the same info as T7s example above. But I don’t have a dedicated * button.

Attachments

• 742F54F9-5FBF-45B0-859F-E3C778750A3B.jpeg
    742F54F9-5FBF-45B0-859F-E3C778750A3B.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1
Sorry Towen, I forgot about your suggestion. I was wondering if Batman had some way to measure the output or something like that.

BTW, does anybody know if HBO GO is streaming 4K?

Back