• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix Lauches 3D & Super HD

Here's a link to the ISP's that have an open contract for this streaming:

https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect/faq

I did a live chat with TWC & the rep said I need to have a different internet provider to get the service (TWC isn't offering the service). I will be calling the home office of TWC to see if they may start offering it.

I'm getting ready to dump AT&T U-Verse for Comcast. AT&T does not support this. Maybe Comcast will. Either way, I'm going to have much faster internet and a much lower bill (which I'll explain later in a different thread).

I'm about to switch from Time Warner to Uverse. Time warner, for one TV with HD and DVR, and the only pay channel is Showtime, monthly bill = $122. Uverse...U300 (includes more movie channels), Internet with 12mps (currently I have 3) and home phone for $125/mo for two years (12 month signing contract).

I just hope install goes smoothly.

jamhead said:
I'm about to switch from Time Warner to Uverse.

Let me know if I can help with that.

jamhead said:
I'm about to switch from Time Warner to Uverse. Time warner, for one TV with HD and DVR, and the only pay channel is Showtime, monthly bill = $122. Uverse...U300 (includes more movie channels), Internet with 12mps (currently I have 3) and home phone for $125/mo for two years (12 month signing contract).

What speed does AT&T Uverse's internet offer ? Others are dropping Uverse because of their slow speeds ? TWC Roadrunner has 3 options...10, 20, & 50 mbps. I do know that after a year with TWC your charges about double (my turbo Roadrunner was around $39, but after a year went to $69 now...I get in the low 20's mbps). I don't have/want programming & digital phone.
But where I live, there is no such thing as AT&T or Verizon Fios.....kinda stuck.

I'm switching from U-Verse to Comcast because I'm sick of slow internet, sick of getting surcharged for the "privilege" of getting HD and sick of paying huge money for cable boxes. Instead, I'm going to go with a Comcast package of 30mbps internet and pretty basic cable. Instead of getting a cable box, I'm going to buy a Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime three tuner box and get a cable card. I'm going to use Windows Media Center on my main PC as a DVR. I'll be able to watch either live TV or the shows I recorded on my computer with my PS3s. I'm not sure if Plex will transcode the MP2 to MP4, so I might not be able to use the recorded shows with my Roku boxes without transcoding first. If this scheme doesn't work out, I'll build a cheap Linux box and put Plex, Logitech Media Server and MythTV on it. There's a Myth client for Roku.

So why do this? My current cable bill is $132. This will take it down to about $55 for the first six months, $75 for the next six and $85 thereafter (including taxes).

jamhead said:

Jarhead I have a bundle package with Centurylink. I have two Directv HD boxes (one with DVR) and a third standard box with DVR, 12 Mbps Internet and phone service. I have every channel Directv offers (including HD) except the movie channels. I also have the monthly insurance plan for Directv and their video game package all for 110.00 a month. I also have their Movies on demand box at no extra cost but barely use it.

I'm still "hunting around" on this. Maybe Towen can chime in about AT&T/Uverse's internet speeds (alot of folks aren't happy with their download speed....not sure if what they are offered & what they want to pay...) and if AT&T is in talks with Nerflix.
All the telco's that offer ISP , I haven't searched if they are in "talks" with Netflix & the open contract.
I have read alot of business links about TWC (they are my ISP)...here's a link from around the middle of this month:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57564467-93/time-warner-cable-netflix-at-odds-over-super-hd-3d/

just my $0.02 though....sometime we as consumers will either pay our ISP or Netflix later on.....right now there is not too many 3D movies from what I understand.
Also, our ISP providers will have to start giving us better download/upload speeds. Basic internet speeds now just aren't enough for the coming future.

Another issue I see, telco's are having a hard time with offering wireless service everywhere along with data plans. Add to that having to run cables/fiber to customers for internet service.....just my $0.02, will never happen............my only telco is Verizon in my area & there is no fiberoptic anywhere near this part of Texas & how old is Fios ? AT&T has nothing in the ground here except for the wireless towers.

Barney said:
I'm still "hunting around" on this. Maybe Towen can chime in about AT&T/Uverse's internet speeds (alot of folks aren't happy with their download speed....not sure if what they are offered & what they want to pay...) and if AT&T is in talks with Nerflix.

I don 't know what to telll you about internet speeds except that AT&T is obligated to provide the speeds as advertised. There is some variability based on transport technology; ADSL (CO and/or RT based), IPDSL, VDSL, FTTN, FTTP etc. AT&T is rarely the cheapest provider in a market but I honestly do believe that we provide very good value for the products and services that we offer. That said if anyopne is unhappy with the level of service provided there are several avenues to seek satisfaction.

On the Netlix issue... I'm sorry but I can not comment on talks that AT&T may be engaged with vendors, suppliers or competitors.

MatthewB said:
jamhead said:

Jarhead I have a bundle package with Centurylink. I have two Directv HD boxes (one with DVR) and a third standard box with DVR, 12 Mbps Internet and phone service. I have every channel Directv offers (including HD) except the movie channels. I also have the monthly insurance plan for Directv and their video game package all for 110.00 a month. I also have their Movies on demand box at no extra cost but barely use it.

Matt, I just read that D* is going up around 4.5% starting Feb:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/201...rage-45-starting-in-february/?intcmp=obinsite

MatthewB said:
jamhead said:

I can't get satellite at all...too many trees. If I could, I'd go with dtv.

Barney said:
jamhead said:

What speed does AT&T Uverse's internet offer ? Others are dropping Uverse because of their slow speeds ? TWC Roadrunner has 3 options...10, 20, & 50 mbps. I do know that after a year with TWC your charges about double (my turbo Roadrunner was around $39, but after a year went to $69 now...I get in the low 20's mbps). I don't have/want programming & digital phone.
But where I live, there is no such thing as AT&T or Verizon Fios.....kinda stuck.

My current speed is 3mbps and I'm paying 50 bucks. Supposedly going to get 12, so we'll see. Overall savings of about 70 bucks per month is worth it.

Haywood said:
I'm switching from U-Verse to Comcast because I'm sick of slow internet, sick of getting surcharged for the "privilege" of getting HD and sick of paying huge money for cable boxes. Instead, I'm going to go with a Comcast package of 30mbps internet and pretty basic cable. Instead of getting a cable box, I'm going to buy a Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime three tuner box and get a cable card. I'm going to use Windows Media Center on my main PC as a DVR. I'll be able to watch either live TV or the shows I recorded on my computer with my PS3s. I'm not sure if Plex will transcode the MP2 to MP4, so I might not be able to use the recorded shows with my Roku boxes without transcoding first. If this scheme doesn't work out, I'll build a cheap Linux box and put Plex, Logitech Media Server and MythTV on it. There's a Myth client for Roku.

So why do this? My current cable bill is $132. This will take it down to about $55 for the first six months, $75 for the next six and $85 thereafter (including taxes).

My only choices are uverse or Twc. My cable bill that I received yesterday went up 8 bucks. I have no other choice.

jamhead said:
Barney said:
jamhead said:

My current speed is 3mbps and I'm paying 50 bucks. Supposedly going to get 12, so we'll see. Overall savings of about 70 bucks per month is worth it.

jamhead, you said you have TWC (Roadrunner) and only get 3mbps ? Flint wasn't getting good speed & found out it was his old/outdated modum. With basic roadrunner you should get around 10mbps

Jamhead is too busy arguing with the audiophools from the Dynaudio owners thread in the AVS forum. :happy-smileygiantred:

We dropped Netflix back when they were doing the whole split up thing, and on a whim last night, signed up for a free one month trial. I never thought that the streaming was all that good, picture wise, but I was floored last night as to how well it looked this time around. It was as good or better than sat HD, and I believe was even DD, although it might be DD 2.0. I am impressed so far.

Back