• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix Prices Increase

mzpro5

Famous
Just got an email from Netflix saying my plan would go up an additional $3 after the first of the year.

Between this and the release delay I will have to give thought as to whether I should perhaps opt for a lesser plan or just drop the whole thing.

Oh they will also be offering a streaming only option for $8/month to membership options.

Hmm, I thought I'd just read somewhere that they were lowering their cost... :shhh:

Just got my notice, my low-level plan is going up by $1. I should probably cancel because I watch maybe 2-3 movies a month... hmmm. Not sure.

I have the $9 a month 1 DVD a month plan, but use the streaming daily.

I wouldn't mind paying $10 a month, but if it goes up much more than that, I'll just spend the $12-15 a month on buying movies and drop the service.

D

I'm on the cheapest plan and couldn't care less about the DVD's in the mail. So if they offer an $8/mo streaming only plan I'm in.

pricegrid.jpg

CMonster said:

That's for DVD's. If you have the BD option it is more.

I have the 3 disc plan and with the BD option it will be 23.99 (currently 20.99)

I'll probably will do a downgrade to two discs.

I'm curious that if enough people downgrade their plan how much, if any, will it have a negative effect on Netflix's revenue?

I'm sure that their expectation is that by introducing a streaming only option that they increase their new subscriber base more than enough to offset any lost revenue due to downgrades.

Towen7 said:
I'm on the cheapest plan and couldn't care less about the DVD's in the mail. So if they offer an $8/mo streaming only plan I'm in.

You can change to the streaming only 7.99 a month plan as of now. I'm going that route as the movies I forget I have all the time and never update my Que or watch them.

I could see signing up for the streaming-only option every now and again for, say, one month and then cancel again. It might be a nice option to have if traveling, I figure. (OT - I've thought the same thing for Hulu Plus.)

As for the Netflix's traditional mailed disc service (with its increased prices), I'd probably pass, unless there was something specific that I had in mind, like renting the entire LOTR triology (already did that once). Right now there are so few movies that I even "sorta" want to see, and I'm able to find those movies at RedBox---sometimes even on BluRay. BluRay obviously has the potential for being the best picture, so I still like it.

-B- said:
You can change to the streaming only 7.99 a month plan as of now. I'm going that route as the movies I forget I have all the time and never update my Que or watch them.
That's what I had seen...

I think I'm downgrading mine to streaming only from the 3 DVD at a time. I still haven't watched the discs from last month.

apcarandang said:
I think I'm downgrading mine to streaming only from the 3 DVD at a time. I still haven't watched the discs from last month.

I just wish the quality of the streaming was better.

mzpro5 said:
apcarandang said:

I just wish the quality of the streaming was better.

I have a pretty good internet connection ( 50mbps) and have 4 different devices that stream netflix. I can tell you that the best device for streaming is my new Samsung TV. The picture is usually HD quality. When I stream from my xbox's or Bluray player the PQ is about 2/3 to 1/2 as good as my TV set.

The xbox actually has an option to view the content at it's original resolution. When I choose this option the material I am streaming actually takes up 1/2 the screen, the xbox just expands it to take up the entire screen.

All the devices share the same wired connection, not sure why the TV does such a better job at streaming web content.

D

in my part of the world it seems that all video stores are going under and all we are left with is Blockbuster. i was going to invest in a blu-ray that has netflix capabilities and was wondering what the picture quality would be like. here in Canada it $7.99 per month for unlimited movies and programs. can you get Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 surround sound quality or is it plainly PCM?

Gerry :(

Sailor said:
in my part of the world it seems that all video stores are going under and all we are left with is Blockbuster. i was going to invest in a blu-ray that has netflix capabilities and was wondering what the picture quality would be like. here in Canada it $7.99 per month for unlimited movies and programs. can you get Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 surround sound quality or is it plainly PCM?

Gerry :(

Currently, Netflix is DD 5.1 for the PS3 only. Everything else is stereo.

BTW, PCM would be perfect (literally) because it's uncompressed. That's why they can't use PCM, though.

John

Thanks, i guess sound effects would be kind of minimized, i guess it is only appropriate for chick flixs :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

Dolby Pro Logic does a pretty darn good job of taking a stereo source and tuning it into 5.1. I don't think you loss the particular sound effects as you do overall dynamic range.

When I had Uverse (AT&T's IPTV product) there was a glitch with the 5.1 audio stream that forced me to live with pro-logic processed stereo. So I did a lot of back-to-back switching. Dialog was always where it should be and the sound effects were too. The biggest difference was the clarity and range of the material.

Back