• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix questions

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
First, let me say.....I freaking love Netflix! If there is nothing on TV and/or on my DVR, then I crank the PS3 and start up a mini-marathon of some TV shows. Not having to drive to the video store or wait on the mail is awesome. VoD has spoiled me in that regard. I just finished all of Arrested Development a few weeks ago.

Ok, now some questions.........

1) I have the PS3 upstairs. If I add a second Bluray player for downstairs or to replace the PS3 (so I can move it downstairs), will I still be able to use my account for both machines, or is there some sort of added charge (like with having more than one STB for Dish or cable) Does it matter if you have a dedicated player? PS3? XboX? Roku? etc.?

2) I'm pretty sure the Bluray player my mom got with her TV is network ready. In order to show her more about Netflix, could I use her machine to log in to my account and watch on her TV? Sure, if she comes over, it's easier to show her at the house on my gear but for her to see what all her stuff can do would probably have a bigger effect. A friend of mine at work seems to think it's household or machine based. The latter has me wondering if there is a charge for a second player

3) What is "Instant Queue" and what does it do that a simple search couldn't?

4) Is all the content copy-protected? In other words, if I wanted to archive some of the older shows to a DVD-R, could I (I think I know that answer, but wanted to ask anyways.)

Thanks everybody. :handgestures-thumbup:

1. I believe you can have up to 5 devices that can access your account. I currently have 2 xbox 360, a bluray player and my TV. Even with those devices registered to netflix, I can still log in from my laptop or PC and watch instantly.

2. Pretty sure your mom could use your netflix account, although I have never tried a device like a BR player outside of my home. My laptop works fine when I travel.

3. Instant Queue is just a way to organize the stuff you want to watch instantly. Say you are on the net just looking at movies, then you can add them to your queue for easy access later without searching.

4. I think Netflix is now using MS Silverlight which is pretty heave on copy protection, but I have seen people able to use PC video capture card to record somehow. Why would you want a low res copy anyway?

D

Doghart said:
1. I believe you can have up to 5 devices that can access your account. I currently have 2 xbox 360, a bluray player and my TV. Even with those devices registered to netflix, I can still log in from my laptop or PC and watch instantly.

2. Pretty sure your mom could use your netflix account, although I have never tried a device like a BR player outside of my home. My laptop works fine when I travel.

3. Instant Queue is just a way to organize the stuff you want to watch instantly. Say you are on the net just looking at movies, then you can add them to your queue for easy access later without searching.

D

Sweet! (especially the red). I totally forgot about a laptop. I think I might try to see if I can with her BD player, but I worry about her player being added to one of my five devices too. I may just show her more about it the next time she comes over.

I'll add that some interfaces (like on Sony's BD players) don't have any way to edit your queue, and the search system is klunky. PS3 is much better in these regards. The instant queue can be used as a tool to search and manipulate and store your movie list e.g. through your computer, then go to the BD player to actually watch.

They say it's limited to 5 devices but I use the same account on more than 5 devices. I stream it from my 2 xboxes, my ps3, my laptop, my sister's ps3 and both of her laptops.

lulimet said:
They say it's limited to 5 devices but I use the same account on more than 5 devices. I stream it from my 2 xboxes, my ps3, my laptop, my sister's ps3 and both of her laptops.

May I have your account #? :text-lol:

Rope

-B- said:
I use a ps3 at my gf's place on my account.

I know Lulimet said he has more than 5 on his account, but I would like to know if your gf's PS3 counts as another device toward your account.

I don't think I would have 5 on mine. I can see 2 definitely and maybe 2 laptops to make 4, but I doubt it will be that high for me.

PaulyT said:
I'll add that some interfaces (like on Sony's BD players) don't have any way to edit your queue, and the search system is klunky. PS3 is much better in these regards. The instant queue can be used as a tool to search and manipulate and store your movie list e.g. through your computer, then go to the BD player to actually watch.

I have had experience with several streaming devices and I feel that the Roku players have the best TV on screen interface.

Good search functions, you can edit your instant que and much like the computer interface it provides lots of suggestions based on your viewing habits.

Back