• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix Streaming & only getting stereo

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
I'm sorry if this post has been around & I missed it. if so, Mods, could you combine with the thread ?
As some know I have a Logitech Review w/Netflix etc. one of the issues I have is the audio (only 2 channel..stereo). I've just got the latest update....still only stereo. Also, some may know Batman sent me a wifi adapt for my son's XBOX360 (thank you again my friend) and now we have xbox live. There was a update a week or so ago for xbox while our xbox was in for warranty repair (wouldn't read disc's----they replaced the drive). Now that we have it back, did the update, have wifi, xbox live, I set-up the Netflix & just checked a few movies...........only audio for English.....stereo. I only use the HDMI connection....when playing games, we get DD5.1 audio.
Is this the norm for Netflix streaming ? If you stream a movie & get DD5.1...give me the movie title & I'll re-check my system. But why do I get DD5.1 with games but only stereo for Netlex ?

I believe that Netflix only streams 2 channel, which you may have to set your receiver to decode to PLII, with most hardware. I have only heard of the ps3 doing DD 5.1 on certain movies with Netflix. It all comes down to bandwidth, it's easier to stream 2 channel rather than DD 5.1.

Huey said:
I believe that Netflix only streams 2 channel, which you may have to set your receiver to decode to PLII, with most hardware. I have only heard of the ps3 doing DD 5.1 on certain movies with Netflix. It all comes down to bandwidth, it's easier to stream 2 channel rather than DD 5.1.

:text-+1:

I have my Rotel to decode to PLII.
Just wondering though..what is the normal resolution that Netflix streams ? Are there some 1080P ? If so, why can't they stream DD5.1 audio ?
What does Amazon stream for video & audio ?
Just wondering..... :angelic-green:

Huey said:

Depends on the player. My PS3 will do DD5.1 with some streams from Netflix. But AFAIK the PS3's is the only netflix software that will do DD.

PaulyT said:
Huey said:

Depends on the player. My PS3 will do DD5.1 with some streams from Netflix. But AFAIK the PS3's is the only netflix software that will do DD.

Umm, did somebody not read my post completely? :eusa-whistle:

Oops sorry, have already had one evening glass of wine, I totally missed that. :oops:

So by this info......Netflix is streaming DD5.1 audio but its the players that aren't decoding the DD5.1 track. Sure would like to know this for sure.
Netflix customer service isn't very sharp.......

I'm not sure if it's always streaming 5.1... I would assume the player's software is telling netflix which audio track to put in the stream, depending on what it can decode. But yes, the end result is that what your receiver gets from the stream is dependent on the player.

And it's not everything in the netflix catalog that does 5.1, only a relatively few in my experience.

The new xbox 360 upgrade made 5.1 streaming possible. The problem is that not all movies are available in 5.1 on Netflix.
I played two movies last night in 5.1 so I know it works.

Barney, look for movies that are available in 5.1. Highlight a movie and it should say HD and 5.1 besides the title.

lulimet said:
The new xbox 360 upgrade made 5.1 streaming possible. The problem is that not all movies are available in 5.1 on Netflix.
I played two movies last night in 5.1 so I know it works.

Barney, look for movies that are available in 5.1. Highlight a movie and it should say HD and 5.1 besides the title.
Thats the ticket......thanks lulimet !
Sure pray this streaming takes off like cell phones did.........I don't have alot of years left in this body.... :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

tears of the sun is a perfect example.

not that great of a movie, but will light up that 5.1 dolby light on your AVR like christmas.

My Roku XDS does 1080p and I have watched movies from Amazon in 1080p but never have seen any NF HD movie in anything better than 720p.

And with the Amazon HD movies I get true 5.1.

Netflix streams about 90% of it's material in stereo, they do have some TV shows and movies in DD 5.1 (my appletv is great for Netflix) they are out there, but it's hit or miss.

Resolution isn't the prime factor in Netflix picture quality. It's bandwidth.

Towen is 100% right. The resolution could be 8000 x 4000, but at a low bandwidth maintaining that resolution would mean reducing the color depth, reducing the updated pixels per second, and sending fewer iFrames. The results are banding, blocking, mosquito noise, and ocassional frame redraw issues - and long waits when changing channels, fast forwarding, or skipping chapters.

Back