• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix Thoughts

mzpro5

Famous
Since cutting the cord several months ago I have been using Netflix more that I used to and have noticed several things lately that peeve me a bit.

- Netflix Originals? - When Netflix started to have 'original productions such as Daredevil they were truly originals never seen anywhere else. Now it seems just about anything new is a "Netflix original" but in investigating I find that a large number of them are shows that were produced for other networks usually outside the US and dialogue is is a language other than English but Netflix brands them as "original". Not cool IMO, why not just list them without the original tag?

- Lack of new programming, maybe because I watch NF a lot more but it seems there are not too many new movies or other offerings. I mean I go to the category labeled "New" or "Recent" and see programs that have been offered for months. WTF Netflix?

In the overall scheme of things not important and at this time not enough to make me dich NF but I am a bit bored this afternoon and this has been in the back of my mind so thought I would post about it.

Netflix produces original programming in countries all over the world. I've seen originals from France and Brazil, among other places.

Some of the stuff they call "original" are shows - like Longmire - where they basically purchase it from another network and produce further seasons. Yeah, I agree that really pushes the definition of "original."

This isn't different from what A&E used to do with the BBC tho produce "original" shows. PBS does it too.

I'm not bothered by what Netflix calls an "original". I do think they put their "originals" higher in the search results. That's a little annoying but not unexpected. Personally I don't get too into series and use Netflix more for movies and documentaries. That said Netflix does seem to offer fewer "new" movies than in the past. I understand why that's happened and don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Yeah I suppose if they're footing the bill for current episodes, then they have a right to call it what they want - and promote them in their linup; e.g. roku's netflix app always (for me anyway) highlights originals. I don't really mind it either, because I think netflix's shows are generally way better than the sophomoric crap on the major broadcast networks (or whatever you call them these days, "broadcast" being also a bit of an iffy term anymore, too). I've watched quite a lot of them. Marco Polo and Longmire are among my very favorite shows.

I would argue that Netflix is producing a higher volume of great shows than HBO at the moment.

Back