• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix to raise "bundle" prices 60%

Haywood said:
I wasn't using the disc service much anyway and my daughter using the streaming a lot, so I just dropped down to the streaming-only plan. I mainly get BDs from Red Box and occasionally from Blockbuster.

I disagree with the general sentiment that streaming is inherently terrible. Anyone who believes that needs to watch a 1080p HDX movie on Vudu. It is better than broadcast HTDV and almost indistinguishable from BD. Almost. At any rate, it is very, very good. Netflix is not quite there, but is getting better over time.

My daughter uses it to watch a lot of anime. It is FINE for that. We've also used it to catch up on TV shows we missed. Again, fine. It is 720p for goodness sake. To hear some people talk, you'd think it was 320i. We use it to watch the odd movie. I gotta tell you, I wasn't pining for 1080p watching Pricilla, Queen of the Desert. Do I want to watch Iron Man on my 67" TV via Netflix Streaming? Hell no, but it would kick ass on a tablet. It is all about context.

I forgot to post to this the other day. My problem with streaming, is my internet connection maxes out at 3mbps, so quality is hit or miss for me. Netflix's answer is frame dropping, which while better than macroblocking, still makes it hard to watch some movies. I can't remember the name of the movie, some Michael Caine/Demi Moore movie, but it was readily apparent.

My other gripe with netflix and streaming, classic movies from the 80's don't seem to be a priority. Those are the movies that I would stream. New releases I won't in their full 1080p/lossless glory.

It's hardly Netflix's fault that your internet maxes out at 3Mbps... unless of course you are getting better PQ with other streaming services. As I recall Netflix recommends 6Mbps for HD streaming. That said I tried it with a 6Mbps DSL connection and the service was spotty if the there was ANYTHING else using the internet at the same time, so I upgraded to a 20Mbps service.

As far as movie selection goes... I'm confused. I talk about NF streaming with our customers in their homes at least a couple of times a week and the most common gripe I hear is that NF streaming titles are too focused on older titles.

I don't blame Netflix for the slow streaming, but I won't pay more for it either. As far as the movies, nostalgic teen comedies seem to be few and far between. Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Airplane, as well as others that I've looked for but weren't available for streaming.

Huey said:
I don't blame Netflix for the slow streaming, but I won't pay more for it either. As far as the movies, nostalgic teen comedies seem to be few and far between. Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Airplane, as well as others that I've looked for but weren't available for streaming.
As someone else said they can only stream what the studios let them via contracts. The one article I posted explains how the studios are jacking up the price to NF by as much as 10x.

As long as a studio feels they can make money via disc sales and broadcast TV you wont see it via streaming

Dumped Netflix yesterday, and added Amazon Prime to my account. I probably wouldn't have added prime if it wasn't for the 2 day free shipping, although for $79, I didn't figure I could go wrong either way.

I don't think Amazon is a suitable replacement for Netflix for most people. Then again it is essential free. I'm keeping both for the moment.

One neat but kinda strange thing though... With some BD purchases, Amazon throws in a free rental of the same title. Why would I want to stream it if I'm buying the disc?

Towen7 said:
One neat but kinda strange thing though... With some BD purchases, Amazon throws in a free rental of the same title. Why would I want to stream it if I'm buying the disc?
I've wondered that too...

I think I figured it out... Didnt think about mobile devices. I can see buying a BD and renting it to stream on a phone or tablet.

I stream & get the 2 disc plan with Netflex. I'm getting around 20Mbps on my revue to stream. Maybe someday the audio will at least give the option of 5.1 DD instead of the 2 channel. But my grip is the library of movies. I've called twice to complain about only showing "B" movies. They don't stream any Harry Poter, Indiana Jones, Walt Disney, Planet of the Apes (ones from along time ago) etc. The last rep I talked to said we will never see these or any of the new hits because of the Studios. I informed him that the record companys said that about their CD's & mp3's.......they learned a leson & now are making money with downloads. Guess the studios need to learn about streaming...
So I' going to keep the renting so we can watch movies that will not be streamed.

Anybody here about a lawsuit with Netflix and Walmart? Link I wonder if that means that a few of us will get some money back?

Yes, but the amount consumers recieve will be minascual, if in fact the class action suit is won. Wal-Mart has a reputation for keeping suits in the legal system till the petitioner runs out of money.

Rope

Huey said:
Anybody here about a lawsuit with Netflix and Walmart? Link I wonder if that means that a few of us will get some money back?

I heard it might be as much as a dollar.

Oh yea I got an email yesterday telling me I was included and could withdraw if I wanted.

Back