• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix vs. Amazon Prime

They want to find a method to get paid, while still encouraging people to pay. That is the trick.. how much is too much? What is the line, exactly?

Towen7 said:
I dont understand why but i often get the impression that people feel they have to choose either NF or Amazon. There is no reason not to use both. I've been a Prime customer for years so I consider the Amazon service to be free, and nothing beats free. That said, If you font use the shipping benefit of being a Prime customer than the clear winner is NF. But if you are an Amazon Prime customer (if you aren't you probably should be) there is absolutely no reason you can't have BOTH services until Amazon offers the same selection as NF.
I agree. The title of this thread notwithstanding, I was actually considering using both services. My main two questions were: (1) What is the difference in libraries (NF is larger). (2) Is the service really free w/ Prime. I'm still not sure about this part.

I'm really not interested in new material nearly as much as TV series (such as Camelot), etc. Are new movies the only thing that is charged for? Is there an easy way to know what is free and what isn't?

John

yromj said:
Towen7 said:
I dont understand why but i often get the impression that people feel they have to choose either NF or Amazon. There is no reason not to use both. I've been a Prime customer for years so I consider the Amazon service to be free, and nothing beats free. That said, If you font use the shipping benefit of being a Prime customer than the clear winner is NF. But if you are an Amazon Prime customer (if you aren't you probably should be) there is absolutely no reason you can't have BOTH services until Amazon offers the same selection as NF.
I agree. The title of this thread notwithstanding, I was actually considering using both services. My main two questions were: (1) What is the difference in libraries (NF is larger). (2) Is the service really free w/ Prime. I'm still not sure about this part.

I'm really not interested in new material nearly as much as TV series (such as Camelot), etc. Are new movies the only thing that is charged for? Is there an easy way to know what is free and what isn't?

John

Go to Amazon and they have a whole section devoted to free prime offerings.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sa_menu_aiv_piv_t10?ie=UTF8&node=2676882011

Towen7 said:

Excellent post. this is why at one point, ive reconsidered purchasing a roku and switched to a blu-ray player that had both capabilities myself.

oddly enough tho, i still use the ps3 for my other files (goddamn panny does NOT support Divx, MKV or any other files. in fact unless your hard drive is self powered, it wont do shit, same with the SD card, cant do sh*t with movies)...

anyways, i love both, but ideally would like to see a great competitor to netflix's 'monopoly'.

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but didn't feel this needed it's own thread. :text-link: to which shows and movies are exclusive to Amazon.

I find that combining Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu and off-the-air gives me damned near every piece of content I want to watch. The services all complement each other. My only gripe is the ads on Hulu, which I find extremely annoying and would literally pay extra to avoid.

Thanks Huey ! Just a quick glance & I see they have Deadwood season 1. Going to start that today.

Dennie, I'm loving Deadwood. I guess Amazon has all the seasons. I didn't pay for HBO back when I had DirecTV or cable.

You've never seen mother fucking Deadwood, Barney? I'll be a mother fucker! :happy-smileygiantred:

I tried to get into it when it was on, but could never get into it. They do use the word fuck alot!

Huey said:
You've never seen mother fucking Deadwood, Barney? I'll be a mother fucker! :happy-smileygiantred:

I tried to get into it when it was on, but could never get into it. They do use the word fuck alot!

I FUCKING literally was going to fucking immediately post this mother fucking fuck of a post until
I saw this fucking post was already fucking posted.

The DirtMerchant said:
Huey said:

I FUCKING literally was going to fucking immediately post this mother fucking fuck of a post until

Fuck Yeah!!!

Huey said:
The DirtMerchant said:
Huey said:

Fuck Yeah!!!

You mother fuckers are fucking amateurs...

not sure if I'll watch every fucking season though.
Back to the thread, I love having both.

I use my brother in law's Hulu Plus, my mothers Netflix and I pay for Vudu ( I buy almost all the HDX movies). So we all share. I have so many options that I can no longer keep up but yet I still watch my Directv 95% of the time. I cm still clearly recall as a child only having 5 channels which all went off the air at midnight. I was happy back then too.

I do find that have really not done anything to enjoy life in the past decade tho. After work I just want to go home and relax and watch some TV before falling asleep again. On my deathbed I'm gonna look at my life and wonder why I spent so much time watching TV instead of reading more or going out more often but we live in a time where it's just not cost effective to go out and enjoy life so I come home and veg in front of the TV knowing it's cheap.

I know blasphemy on a A/V forum but sometimes I long for the time when I was a kid and could go out after dinner and play kick the can with the neighborhood kids till 10:00 at night. As my tagline has said for years now "our technology has somehow surpassed our humanity".

Matt-

I'm with you. Maybe I'll spend the day getting my garage cleaned out so I can build those garage cabinets I've been thinking about for months. I need to get that done so I can have the work/floor space for all the home repair projects I need to get done before we get started on the home improvement projects we've got planned for the summer.

But ... It's kinda cold, and rainy ... on second thought I'll just fart around on the computer and binge watch old TV series.

Towen7 said:
Matt-

I'm with you. Maybe I'll spend the day getting my garage cleaned out so I can build those garage cabinets I've been thinking about for months. I need to get that done so I can have the work/floor space for all the home repair projects I need to get done before we get started on the home improvement projects we've got planned for the summer.

But ... It's kinda cold, and rainy ... on second thought I'll just fart around on the computer and binge watch old TV series.

Right there with you...........

I have been spending so much time doing projects around the house that I treasure what little time I have to enjoy movies and television. I spent yesterday hanging hand and bath towel bars, medicine cabinets and toilet paper dispensers in two bathrooms while my wife worked on reorganizing and repacking all of our Christmas decorations for more efficient storage. Her back is bothering her today, which might change our plan to build our last to pantry cabinets (Ikea Besta with plain doors) and load them. She will then spend the week loading the closet where the food was with other stuff so we will have the room to put in two Ikea Billy bookcases with doors in the family room, which will allow us to unload more boxes, which will allow us to get our traditional Korean style TV cabinet out of there and into the master bedroom. If all goes as planned, we will be completely settled in an unpacked by the end of the month, which just leaves some stuff in the garage and then some painting in two bathrooms.

I hate moving. It always takes close to a year to really settle into a new place. So much work. So much money. Last weekend, I installed $1200 worth of blinds in our 20 windows. It feels like it never ends.

Back