• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Neverland

Huey

Famous
Anybody else catch this on SyFy? My daughter and I watched the first hour last night, and thought it was done pretty well. At times it comes off as a soap opera, but I'm still enjoying it.

I recorded the first part but am in a situation where I have to clear off my recorder within 2 weeks so I just deleted it. It will be repeated many times I'm sure and probably end up on NF streaming before too long.

mzpro5 said:
I recorded the first part but am in a situation where I have to clear off my recorder within 2 weeks so I just deleted it. It will be repeated many times I'm sure and probably end up on NF streaming before too long.

solution = external HDD. That helps me keep my DVR cleared out and archive some shows until (probably "if") a stand alone Bluray recorder is available.

Yesfan70 said:
mzpro5 said:

solution = external HDD. That helps me keep my DVR cleared out and archive some shows until (probably "if") a stand alone Bluray recorder is available.

I'm getting a new HD DVR and my understanding is that with DTV if you use an external drive you can only view that material on the unit you got it off of.

So an external drive would not have solved having to watch what is currently recorded.

I do plan to us an external drive for the new DVR though.

mzpro5 said:
Yesfan70 said:
mzpro5 said:

I'm getting a new HD DVR and my understanding is that with DTV if you use an external drive you can only view that material on the unit you got it off of.

So an external drive would not have solved having to watch what is currently recorded.

I do plan to us an external drive for the new DVR though.

I'm able to watch DVRed content with mine straight from the eHDD, but I also have Dish so maybe it's different with DirecTV. What I mainly use mine for is moving shows from my DVR to the eHDD, to reclaim DVR space for newer recordings. I assume DirecTV is the same way. I can also, since I have two boxes, "move" shows from one box to the other (TV1 to eHDD to TV2), or simply watch the shows on the eHDD to either of my TVs.

If you get an external drive, I would get an internal SATA drive that's made to run all the time and put it in an external enclosure. I have a external Seagate drive I use now for my Dish receivers. It's been reliable, but it makes a lot of "ticking" noises when running. The video will also will sometimes hangup if watching straight from the drive, instead of moving the video back to the DVR for watching. For enclosures, I like the Nexstar units and the "green" drives from Western Digital. I use two 1TB drive for my music collection and will probably go to that for my DVRs as well.

IMO, I think Dish and DirecTV should include eSATA ports on their boxes as USB 2.0 is slow for transferring HD content from the DVR to the eHDD and back again. That would probably also help with the hangups I experience with the Seagate as well.

Yesfan70 said:
I'm able to watch DVRed content with mine straight from the eHDD, but I also have Dish so maybe it's different with DirecTV. What I mainly use mine for is moving shows from my DVR to the eHDD, to reclaim DVR space for newer recordings. I assume DirecTV is the same way. I can also, since I have two boxes, "move" shows from one box to the other (TV1 to eHDD to TV2), or simply watch the shows on the eHDD to either of my TVs.

If you get an external drive, I would get an internal SATA drive that's made to run all the time and put it in an external enclosure. I have a external Seagate drive I use now for my Dish receivers. It's been reliable, but it makes a lot of "ticking" noises when running. The video will also will sometimes hangup if watching straight from the drive, instead of moving the video back to the DVR for watching. For enclosures, I like the Nexstar units and the "green" drives from Western Digital. I use two 1TB drive for my music collection and will probably go to that for my DVRs as well.

IMO, I think Dish and DirecTV should include eSATA ports on their boxes as USB 2.0 is slow for transferring HD content from the DVR to the eHDD and back again. That would probably also help with the hangups I experience with the Seagate as well.

When I ordered the new box I asked the CS person about the compatibility issue and she confirmed an external drive will only work with the machine the material came from which is a bit of a bummer. I would like to be able to manage the media the way you are able to.

mzpro5 said:
Yesfan70 said:

When I ordered the new box I asked the CS person about the compatibility issue and she confirmed an external drive will only work with the machine the material came from which is a bit of a bummer. I would like to be able to manage the media the way you are able to.

OH.. I see what you are saying now. You're going to a completely different box. I might have to check up on that for my Dish receivers. I would like to have one of those new boxes with the bigger DVR and slingbox added, but be able to watch the content on my eHDD that I have stored from my current boxes.

I bet I'm screwed also now that I think about it. Might have to call Dish to confirm.

Back