• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Amp... Outlaw?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Friend is looking for step stereo or 2 mono amps to drive his Focal Aria 926's. Been a while... Outlaw still one of the highly recommended mono amps around? Any others to peruse? Schitt?

I am still a massive fan of everything Parasound and their JC amps are among my most favorite on the market. . There's also the greats like Bryston, Rotel, Monoprice (Monolith amps), Anthem, and many others making outstanding power amps.

So, what's his budget? There are stereo amps which sell for $1,500 which are vastly superior to $500 mono amps, so getting a mono amp isn't inherently better than a stereo amp without considering price range and goals.

Budget?

Power?

Parasound has their Halo Series discounted right now due to the introduction of their inhanced Halo amplifiers.

Budget is $1k or less, unless it's an amazing deal. Power is unknown to me. Enough to run those speakers I suppose.

Apologies for limited info. Just asking around for a friend.

Budget is $1k or less, unless it's an amazing deal. Power is unknown to me. Enough to run those speakers I suppose.

Apologies for limited info. Just asking around for a friend.

Doing research I learned this:
Those speakers are rated to be relatively efficient at 91.5dB SPL at 1W/1M.
Focal says they are safe to use with an amp up to 250 Watts.
They are 8 Ohm nominal, but present a complex load that drops below 4 ohms.

I would recommend no less than 100W with high current capability and high damping factor.

The Parasound Halo A23 (currently heavily discounted to make space for the slightly upgraded model) would be very fine for these speakers, I would not bridge it mono with these speakers.

Also, given those speakers don't operate into the subsonic range, a professional amp would also work very well, like the famous Crown amp all the budget-minded audiophiles are buying, or the better QSC RMX series of amps which have somewhat slightly louder fans on them.

Doing research I learned this:
Those speakers are rated to be relatively efficient at 91.5dB SPL at 1W/1M.
Focal says they are safe to use with an amp up to 250 Watts.
They are 8 Ohm nominal, but present a complex load that drops below 4 ohms.

I would recommend no less than 100W with high current capability and high damping factor.

The Parasound Halo A23 (currently heavily discounted to make space for the slightly upgraded model) would be very fine for these speakers, I would not bridge it mono with these speakers.
Where are you seeing heavily discounted? Thanks

Lots of good recommendations so far and I will throw ATI out there, and I don't just do it because I own an ATI amp.

Some great deals can be had on these amps, especially if you are considering buying used.

I would probably stick to with the brands that have been listed thus far if I were in the market for a new amp, Parasound, Bryston, and ATI would be in my final list.

Back