• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New and “affordable” headphones

FredtheFilmFan

I have a friend who is looking to get some new headphones looking to spend $250CAD ish. I lent him my AKG 240mkII’s. He said he liked them but I don’t think the low end response was sufficient for him. I am loooing for suggestions.

Is he thinking wired? Wireless? Noise canceling? For critical listening/exercise/just so he can get a moment's rest without those kids making noise and the wife nagging nagging nagging YES DEAR I SAID I'LL GET THE TRASH?

Ahem. Got a little carried away there.

Is he thinking wired? Wireless? Noise canceling? For critical listening/exercise/just so he can get a moment's rest without those kids making noise and the wife nagging nagging nagging YES DEAR I SAID I'LL GET THE TRASH?

Ahem. Got a little carried away there.
He’s looking for some wired critical listening. He’s expressed interest in some mono price monolith m560. As well the Grado sr125e. I know nothing about either of those yet other than the monolith are Planar. I’ll mention to him about the AT studio’s. Any other suggestions?

Grado are very good headphones, I find them a tad harsh and "forward" sounding, but the resolution is impressive. I also find all their models press too hard on my temples, and since I wear glasses, cause headaches after about 30 minutes of use.

I really do like the Audio Technical units as they are clean, clear, and well-balanced. Shure also makes some good overear headphones, but I haven't spent enough time with any of them to truly have a solid opinion. The AKGs are my favorite, but I admit the bass is not powerful - but I don't accept that headphones should have powerful bass. Forcing your ears to make up for what you experience through your body is what leads to what I consider bass-heavy headphones which cause listening fatigue. The AKGs don't "impress" with their bass, but none of the bass is really missing or absent from what you hear.

But I get it, preference is what preference is.

Yeah, Grados can be uncomfortable- I don't like the earpieces, but there's aftermarket ones available. Years ago when I gave them a listen I thought they sounded good. I've always been a fan of Sennheiser, but I can't really vouch for their current models.

Back