• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Bedroom System Refresh - Onkyo TX-NR509

Haywood

Famous
I just scored an Onkyo TX-NR509 on NewEgg for $229 (marked down from $399).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882120176

This receiver has built-in DLNA streaming and internet radio capabilities including XM Internet Radio, Pandora, Slacker and a couple others. It also has four HDMI 1.4 inputs with return audio capability. This is going to replace the Panasonic receiver I've had for the last half-dozen years or so. I am running 5 Insignia bookshelf speakers and an Energy sub with a Samsung Blu-Ray player, a U-Verse STB and a 30" Samsung CRT HDTV.

The Panasonic is going to replace a really cheap Onkyo receiver with blown surround channels in the girls' playroom. The Onkyo, which works fine for stereo, will go into my youngest daughter's bedroom with an old pair of Cambridge Soundworks sats. That will finish out a very basic system with my 10 year-old Integra DVD player and an old 20" Proscan TV.

The problem with this plan was that it left me a sub short. Those CSW sats produce ZERO base, so I'm doing to take the little CSW subwoofer from the playroom and put that in my daughter's room. I'm replacing the playroom sub with a 10" Polk I bought from NewEgg for $99 (marked down from $250).

My oldest daughter has our old 27" Sony Trinitron TV with a Samsung Blu-Ray player, my 25 year-old (and stick kicking ass) Integra integrated amp and a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers. I'm about to add a Wireless N access point, so she can hook her Blu-Ray player up to the internet for Netflix streaming.

In case the main system, the playroom system and the three bedroom systems are not enough, we've also got a SqueezeBox Boom in the master bathroom and a Creative Labs Bluetooth speaker in the kitchen (for use with the iPads).

I will admit that it just might be getting a bit ridiculous, but a lot of this stuff is cast-offs from 25 years of upgrades or inexpensive gap fillers like the $99 Polk sub.

I have the TX-NR809 in my living room, other than lacking some guts to drive my 8ohm speakers I love it.

I notice a very slight difference in the audio quality between the Onkyo and my previous Denon. But to be fair I'm comparing a $4200 Deonon with a $699 Onkyo.

D

Nice.

So jealous.

I'd been toying with the idea of putting a receiver in the bedroom for a while. I've got enough HDMI inputs on my TV and have trouble justifying the expense of the receiver and speakers since I don't care much about audio quality in there.

You can put together a passable bedroom surround system for about $600 if you look around.

Back