• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Computer Speakers

Randy

Superstar
So I picked up a pair of M-Audio AV40 studio monitors for the PC in my office downstairs.

I got them open box from BB for $100 including tax. Just got them on a whim and they are not half bad little speakers.

I had read some things online about them and they sounded ok. Guitar Center and a few other places sell them, so when I saw them at this price I grabbed them.

Like I said not half bad. I like them. Did a little demo with Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly, SRV Couldn't Stand the Weather, and Al Jurreau Breaking Away.

All around pretty decent and seem to have an above average tweeter for the money, good articulate bass, and decent mid range. No real setup just hooked them up placed them on my desk and started listening.

I like them and they were certainly worth $100

Got a pic? I'm looking for a set of computer speakers for my desk.

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

I don't have any pics. heck I don't even own a digital camera accept for my phone and it doesn't take great pics. Here are some stock shots.

M-Audio-AV40-Studiophile.jpg

1253547846-74251400.jpg

1253547847-92058900.jpg

I listened to them a little bit more this time with some Larry Carlton Collection and I am still pretty happy with them overall. I think these are pretty decent little monitors.

They are listed on Amazon from $89 to $149. I think around the $100 mark they are probably a pretty good buy.

Nice score Randy..................Christmas gift to self from self :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Tom, they are not too big. They have a 4" woofer and are about double the size of my previous computer speakers whoch were pretty darn small. I will try and take a pic later.

Heeman, it is a gift from the elf called myself, since I don't have an elf on a shelf.

Ok so I haven't really listened to these a whole lot, but this morning I made a cool discovery. I took a break from writing a paper and was watching a few youtube videos. Several music videos and one where a guy was in front of the camera just speaking. While watching the video I realized that it sounded like his voice was coming from DEAD CENTER in the middle of the screen where he was. So I did a few more imaging tests and these things present a really good image. I am impressed.

^ Anything recorded in Mono (or otherwise of identical output from both left and right channels) will seemingly emanate from between the two sources.

Thanks for harshing my mellow Zing.

Ya you are right I really didn't think that through. But with the other stuff I listened to they reall imaged pretty well, at least a lot better than I expected considering they are just sitting on the desk and pointed at my chair with a little toe in.

Randy said:
Thanks for harshing my mellow Zing.
LOL I'm sorry. I didn't mean to harsh anything. Perhaps I should've added "...in a properly set up and configured audio reproduction system" to my early comment. The fact that you noticed what you did is indicative of you having your speakers ideally spaced apart from one another in relation to their distance from you while seated at your desk.

AND that you have them correctly wired in phase.

:happy-smileygiantred:

LOL thanx Zing. I occasionally get things right but if my new receiver doesn't come in soon I am gonna scream.

I need to get a set of mopads under them to give them a little angle up.

Zing said:
^ Anything recorded in Mono (or otherwise of identical output from both left and right channels) will seemingly emanate from between the two sources.

220px-Triangle.Equilateral.svg.png

Equilateral triangle.

Rope

Back