• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Horns for Sound System.

So about 6 months ago I found some speaker cabinets for sale and picked them up for 50.00
EV PIM-122. Biamp speakers for hanging. We added handles, feet, and speakon cable jacks. We painted them from white to black and used truckbed coating.

Attachments

• Picture 035.GIF
    Picture 035.GIF
    242.5 KB · Views: 1,221
  • Picture 036.GIF
    Picture 036.GIF
    227 KB · Views: 1,221
Then we added the neodymium 12 inch speaker. And did a test run.

It looks like I will be running with a crossover around 2 to 2.5 k.

The 12 inch is about 96 db at 1 watt with the horn doing about 103 db at 1 watt.
when listening we found with a check on the Iphone RTA that the two are a good match and use about the same amount from the amplifier.

being in a small room was not a good test but just a start and will be using a DBX driverack PA to do the crossover and processing.

Metal grills getting paint and some foam soon. Then we start the True RTA.

two year project with a cost around 200 per cabinet.

Attachments

• Picture 050.GIF
    Picture 050.GIF
    178.6 KB · Views: 1,219
We finally found the time last weekend to put the speakers into the second cabinet. So the grills paint and grill cloth are forth coming. I also need to order the speaker wire and the 4 strands at 100 ft will be around 150.

With the Horn RTA showing the peak starting at the 2k mark I will feel this is a good point to run the high pass. Just waiting to see what the 12 has for the high drop off on the pink noise. With out having the impedance to Frequency chart it will be a good starting point.

Looking for some good weather to be outside to work in a shed and paint. DC is still below 30.

The next step in this is setting up the tri amp configuration.

I had to add wires to the amps and crossover to the amps.

Then I was able to power up and test the system.
There was the usual problems with left and rights to work out.
One channel on the amps was not working right but after playing with the
dip switches for the amps configuration it was working normal.

must be wear and tear on the switches.

I have a Carvin Fet 450 running bridge mono to feed the center speaker a 15 inch in a base cabinet.

The new speakers have 12 inch neo speakers from Carvin to do the mids, powered by the crown XLS2500 at 400 watts a side.

The horns were powered by the Carvin Fet 400 at 125 watts a side.
the crossover is a DBX drive rack PA. Digital crossover.

crossover points were 125 hz 2.5 khz. with 24 db slopes.

So the next thing on the list is to run this outside with RTA and GTG with others for some fun. Waiting on the weather to cool off some 95 plus is to hot to be spending several hours in the sun setup, test, tear down.

Pictures are in the new music room and first test was shaking the house with 110 db at roughly half volume on the amps. Have to wait for the good weather to have both subs running at 450 watts. The one pictured (no 3) might not be on for the outside test.

The other fun item to hit the list will be creating an end fired sub array to create a cardioid sub pattern to keep some of the base out of the rear of the speakers and leaving the stage quieter in the base ranges.

Attachments

• amps.gif
    amps.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 650
  • New Speakers.gif
    New Speakers.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 650
The two speakers have Speakon connectors on the back allowing for 4 speaker wires to go to each cabinet allowing for the biamp on one cable. I had to wire the back of the amp rack to have the connector to two amps. Then configure the drive rack from biamp to triamp.

This coming Saturday is the epoxy coated floor in the room so I have to clean out the room this week.

Wife choose the house colors but the green wall would work well if video and camera work. Green screen ???

malsackj said:
The two speakers have Speakon connectors on the back allowing for 4 speaker wires to go to each cabinet allowing for the biamp on one cable. I had to wire the back of the amp rack to have the connector to two amps. Then configure the drive rack from biamp to triamp.

Guess I'm not understanding; four wires to each cab, but how does the triamp send its signal? :think:

Subs are wired separate from the tops. I may not be using my subs for all work.
When working with the Friends with the larger 20,000 watt systems they are forward facing and my two would be used to the sides when people wrap around the three sides.

or they can be used on stage as side fill monitors.

the single cable with 4 wires feeds two to mids 12 and two to highs horn.

When working with the bands the friends with the larger systems are working with 4 to 8 18 inch subs. I am running with two 15 inch subs that are match for each other and a third that is not a match. More a speaker for the base guitar player. So my subs wont even come close to adding to the base output they are running. I plan to use the third as the sub for the drum monitor with the little EV on my avatar. Biamp but three way for the drum monitor, Thinking the crossover will be running around 800 hz from the bottom speaker to the mid, I have the AC22 crossover and need another 400 watt or more stereo amp to run this. xls 1000 ??

What 12" driver did you use? And was the cabinent's interior modified to match the driver's TS parameters?

Super excited to see this!

The 12 inch driver is the Carvin Neo 12 inch and they do not publish the data.
we did not modify the interior so the RTA, and REW software runs will be our look at how well this will work out. By ear so far it is very nice fit in the cabinet. Life in general is interfering with getting the test done. SO I will have the speaker out September 19 for a festival event. My planned test on the 13 was foiled by a church request that will take me out for the entire day.

The 12
http://www.carvinaudio.com/.../ne12-8-4 ... nch-woofer
48 to 3.5k 400 watt 1200 peak Two used for under 200.

The horn uses
http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pdb75 ... --292-2550

Crossover is set for around 2.5k and the subs are 100 hz.

Attachments

• Neo.gif
    Neo.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 560
Took them out today and setup. Was not able to get a good response out of the RTA so putting off for trouble shooting. Need to review my testing rig and trouble shoot the problems. When the test rig is figured out and corrected I will be trying again, and open to some visits.

Had one 12 inch 2 way setup with two subs. Both subs were bridge mono 450 watts.
The 12 inch 2 way was on the Crown XLS 2500 with one to the 12 inch and one to the horn, 400 per side. I ran the amps at half. and the two 450 was 8 out of 10. Sound source was around 40 percent output to keep the Subs from having trouble. I think my old subs are bottoming out.

Tried the subs as end fired array and was OK. Cancellation to the rear was noticeable. Front was Good but no real punch.

So for the festival in two weeks I should be good. Measured 90 db at about 60 to 70 feet.

So the update is the new Subs, They are some home made cabinets from the JBL 4530.
15 inch speakers Eminence Kappa-15LFA.

Attachments

• New SPeaker set.JPG
    New SPeaker set.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 407
When outside where they are standing we were able to get some nice kick drum beat your chest thump back about 70 to 80 feet. Measured 94 db back there also. This is the end result of three years of speaker build and upgrade. I added a second Crown xls 2500 amp to power the scoop subs. Loaded with Emenance Kappa 15LFA. 600 watt 1200 peak. Both of the crowns use under 5 amps current so the system will run on a home 15 amp outlet.

They will be out working a NYE event in DC supporting a DJ. The larger 20,000 watt system will be working the band on the main dance floor. Larger JBL SRX system.

If you add a set of wings to them for free space setup (open field, etc.), you could improve the bass output for the audience by 6dB.

For 40Hz, using the quarter wave principle, that would be a reflective surface which is 7.5 feet wide and tall. It appears you have the height already, so using a 2 feet wide wing on each side would probably get you really close to what you need to really boost the audience OOMPH!

I had the system out NYE and here is the picture.

Attachments

• NYE Carnegie Library 2.jpg
    NYE Carnegie Library 2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 322
Back